• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Biggest Personal Gaming Disappointments

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Biggest Personal Gaming Disappointments

You've been waiting all year for a very anticipated game to come out. You've seen trailer after trailer for the new game, and it looks like it's going to be freakin' incredible! The day finally comes, you pop in the disc and...you're very disappointed with the turnout. Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever really waited for a game to come out and then when it did come out it didn't reach your expectations? Have you ever returned a game and got your money back for that reason?

Discuss!

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    The Battlefield 4 Beta. I played the Battlefield 3 beta, and even bought my own copy of Battlefield 3. In fact, 2 copies. One was Limited Edition back in December 2012, and the other, Premium Edition, I got around June. I loved Battlefield 3. When it came time to play the Battlefield 4 closed beta, considering I was a BF3 Premium player, I was hype...then it turned out to be just like BF3, just with some interactivity, and less colour.

Turned me off buying the full game.

New Eden

Ascension to heaven
    Years
    Sonic 2006. I initially wanted a 360 just for it. Instead what I got was a lie.

Also Battlefield 3 since I had such a blast with Bad Company 2 and how they were hyping up BF3 afterward...never again.

TY

GTA V, the game was so overhyped that I thought it had to be good. Do I still play it? No. Cause the hype they promised died off way too soon with a dying online mode at the beginning and it still is dying to me, cause of the option to literally buy in game cash with rl cash. Online mode is completely ruined and the story is meh. It is just one of those AAA titles who gets a ton of hype but doesn't stand the test of time to live up with the hype.

Last edited:

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
    Splinter Cell: Conviction

Im a huge fan of the SC games, and when i found out Conviction was 360 exclusive, i was pissed.
    One day, my good friend was kind enough to lend me his 360 with the game...and the disappointment was huge.
    The usual SC gameplay was thrown out the window, no more sneaking around or hiding in the shadows...just a pretty generic shooter...

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Hm, yeah, I guess so. It'd have to be Need for Speed: Undercover, which was years ago. Was a really big fan of Most Wanted and all its sequels, and was expecting this to be even greater. When I started playing, though, it immediately disappointed me. :( Music tracks (in my opinion) weren't that great, graphics were average, and its storyline was… well, pretty confusing. They might've rushed it a little when developing; seriously wish they hadn't.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Couple I can think of are Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World and Metroid Other M.

I was a bit excited when I first heard that they were making a sequel to one of my favorite games. Then they kinda ruined it with the story, Emil, and the treatment of the original Symphonia cast. And I'll leave it at that because I'm sure some of you have heard me ♥♥♥♥♥ about ToS:DotNW 5 times already.

Other M....I walked into that one thinking it'd be great since I very much enjoyed the only other Metroid games I've played, the Prime series, and because Metroid seems to have a good track record. Yeah, we all knew how that went. That terribad story. Samus's awful personality (yeah, Samus has never had a definite personality, but why oh why would you go with that?). The crappy missile controls (how do you screw that up when there's Prime?). Those sequences where the game wants you to look for and focus the Wiimote on some object that's hard to see (and you have no idea what you're looking for most of the time).

So yeah. I feel like there's one more thing, but, as per the usual, I can't remember...

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
    Elder Scrolls Online

I was an avid fan of Oblivion and Skyrim, so I had high expectations. I got into the beta before it released (probably about halfway into the beta itself), and was all around disappointed. The combat felt clunky(ier), the class system felt a little too limiting, the quests were more MMO'ey than I'd hoped for, and the environments left a lot to be desired. Needless to say I didn't end up subscribing to the final product.

I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion and Skyrim together, but ESO couldn't keep my attention longer than about 2-3 days. To it's credit though, ESO does have my favorite lockpicking system to date. It's an improved version of Oblivion's pin and tumbler style, so it has that going for it.

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    BioShock Infinite.

Don't get me wrong, it was still a pretty good game, but it didn't blow me away the way BioShock or even the BSI trailers did. It felt, somehow, even less subtle than that game, and had a really bad difficulty curve (too easy with Elizabeth, painstaking without).

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    Hm, yeah, I guess so. It'd have to be Need for Speed: Undercover, which was years ago. Was a really big fan of Most Wanted and all its sequels, and was expecting this to be even greater. When I started playing, though, it immediately disappointed me. :( Music tracks (in my opinion) weren't that great, graphics were average, and its storyline was… well, pretty confusing. They might've rushed it a little when developing; seriously wish they hadn't.

I still think Need for Speed: ProStreet was much worse than Undercover. They attempted at realism, they messed it up horribly. The story (if you can even call it one) is senseless, at least imo. Graphics were ehh. The crashes were the best part of the game, as that looks like what they put the most work into making. ProStreet came before Undercover, so we got 2 horrible games in a row. This is what happens when you take street racing away from NFS. You get this...disaster of a game.

At least with Shift/Shift 2, the realistic circuit racing's a lot better.

Another game I had personal gripes with was Ratchet: Gladiator (or Deadlocked for you non-Strayans/Europeans). It's. Just. the same thing over and over again. The game was disliked by reviewers for its repetition, and I felt the same way mid way through the game. The weapon choices were too small, only 10. Now, the maps. Besides the indoor ones, the other worlds looked...pretty good, for a PS2 game, though not to Ratchet and Clank standards. I just didn't like this game, compared to the amazing series it bears the same name to.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    SWTOR. KotOR 2 is my all-time favorite game, so it stands to reason that a game that claims to continue the storyline but instead discards it almost completely, retconning half of the previous game, and being only tangentially related in gameplay, theme, and plot would really piss me the heck off.

And then there's this, which almost made me cry. Oh, what could have been.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Definitely GTA V, it was just so easy and short I didn't even feel like I was playing a GTA game. The map is huge but the majority of it isn't even important and is just barren wasteland, and the storyline is just crap.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Farming Simulator.
    I actually bought it on the whim and for easy Platinum trophy but heck, it was some crazy ♥♥♥♥ o.O
    After actually getting Platinum, never more I would try something like that =D

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    Final Fantasy XIII.

From all the trailers, the game looked fantastic and amazing. Yet, once I got the game in my hands, I was met with some rather questionable gameplay mechanics and badly paced game.

The battle system was great and feels fun, but it was nothing more than switching paradigms and mashing Auto-Battle or just spam the ever living life out of Army of One. I know other RPGs are criminal for rinse-and-repeat battle strategies, but at least with them I had to do some form of thinking instead of mashing Auto-Battle. Also, in battle when the character you're playing dies, shouldn't have led to a game-over when your other two guys are clearly still alive.

The pacing in the game is just, god awful. You're literally stuck in a straight hall way for 30 hours before you get some form of freedom of roaming in Gran Pulse, even then that's basically near the end of the game.

Yukari

Well... All I can think of is Shadow the Hedgehog... I mean I'm a huge fan of sonic the hedgehog so I was really exited for this game. But once I actually started playing the game... It really wasn't all that I expected, lets leave it at that.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter! It's a bit childish I know, but Drawn to Life was one of my all-time favourite games due to the creative gameplay and the utterly compelling storyline (okay mostly just the story I'm a sucker for sad moments and this game did them perfectly), and the sequel just didn't follow that up at all. It was a completely different style of game just focussed on mindlessly completing level after level with no real reward or drive for doing so, and it was just a real shame after the first game managed to be so touching. Definitely the biggest disappointment I've had in a game so far.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Something about the link that twocows posted reminded me of an old game that I was excited for when it was announced called...The Path, I believe. It was about a bunch of sisters that were trying to get to grandmother's house (they were all little red riding hood) and the game gave you the option of taking the path without straying for each one, or exploring the woods. The game would end if you took the central path, claiming that you won, but the real win was to find all the horrible things in the woods. I thought this sounded really interesting and a horror game I might actually want to play.

But then when it came out I saw a ton of bad reviews and I ended up changing my mind as to whether or not I would play it. I'm easily scared enough, I don't want to waste my small amounts of courage on a game that isn't that great.

Years
    Call of Duty: Black Ops declassified for PlayStation Vita. The only CoD game I've played prior to getting this one was Black Ops on the PS3. Because I really enjoyed the fast pace that Black Ops multiplayer boasted, I expected Declassified to be slightly dumbed down, but still offer the same experience.

It doesn't take long after picking up the game to tell that development for it was rushed. Upon first glance, Declassified looks like a CoD game, but the graphics are on the level of what you would expect to find on a PSP. The Campaign will throw some insane difficulty spikes at you (swarming enemies, timer etc.) but an avid first-person shooter player would be able to beat it in less than an hour. Although it's a lot of fun when it works, multiplayer in Declassified is broken and glitchy most of the time. Explosive weapons are overpowered, the maps are too small, and there are some massive lag and framerate problems. A lot of times you will be spawning with someone in front/behind you, and the game will kick you from lobbies for no apparent reason.

A patch over 200MB in size was released to attempt to fix these problems. However, pretty much everything I've mentioned above is still present, so the only thing it really did was eat up memory from my memory card. Summed up, Declassified is nothing but a waste of money, and I don't recommend anybody to buy it.

Back