• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Does anyone else find the Azalea Rival battle really frustrating?

Years
Ironically I've noticed that this battle is far worse if the Rival is using a Bayleef, even though the Chikorita line is probably the weakest. But generally, I've always found this battle extremely difficult despite me being a couple of levels higher than the Rival's.

I currently have a Lv19 Croconaw, a Lv17 Flaaffy and a Lv16 Pidgey. I know it'll only take me a couple more levels to get Pidgey to Pidgeotto, but even at this point in the game it's still quite time-consuming to level up (seeing as the Wild Pokemon are only around Lv6-8). Not only is Bayleef a tank, but it spams Synthesis constantly and it's actually an extremely frustrating battle I find.

Does anyone else struggle with this battle? I find it's actually the most difficult Rival battle in the game... weirdly.

AquaMarine8

One less, one less problem~
Years
It definitely can be difficult, especially if you're underleveled, or even on par with his levels at that point in the game. It's like the third generation rival battle on Route 110, arguably the most difficult rival battle in the game.

Years
This battle was hell when I was a child (even though that would've been Gen 2, technically). In Gen 4 it didn't bother me as much, however. Don't know why...
What really helps against Bayleef, though, is a Zubat w/ Super Sonic and Leech Life to heal off any damage it might do. Bite has a chance to flinch it, but thanks to Reflect it won't do much damage. Anyhow, Bayleef just can't do much to Zubat. Not at that point in the game nor later on.

And yes, that is probably the only time ever someone'll suggest freakin' Leech Life xD

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Oh yeah, I remember this being a problem when I did playthroughs with Totodile as my starter. It's mainly because the game doesn't really give you much to deal with his Bayleef at that point in the game. IIRC all that you can get at that point in the game is your starter, Sentret, Zubat, Geodude, Onix, Bellsprout, Pidgey, Spearow, Hoothoot, the Caterpie/Weedle line, and Gastly. And like, Spearow and Hoothoot's only Flying attack around then is Peck, which is absurdly weak, Pidgey's Gust is only 40 base power and works off of its lesser Sp.Attack stat, Leech Life on Zubat is really weak, Gastly is frail and has no Poison moves at that point (neither does Bellsprout), and maybe Beedril or Butterfree can take it on but what if you don't wanna use Beedrill/Butterfree or something? Not like the game gives you much for dealing with Croconaw if you chose Cyndaquil, but at least that thing doesn't have Reflect+Synthesis.

Years
Not to my recollection. Last I was at that part of the game, I think my Geodude beat his first two, then my Butterfree bested his Croconaw without much concern at all, although it was mostly because he only spammed Scary Face instead of attacking. Oh, Pokémon AI.

Years
I didn't had a problem with bayleef as my pidgeotto was of sufficient high level. I simply love training the pidgey line!His other pokemon troubled me more!

Years
I picked Cyndaquil when I was playing so that meant he had the Croconaw at that point. It was quite hard but I did have a Mareep which kinda helped thanks to STAB Thunder Shock, but yeah it doesn't help that there's not much coverage available to you at that point.

blue

gucci
Years
Definitely, more particularly in GSC though. I always struggled to defeat the rival on my first attempt at this stage, most probably because of the limited Pokémon and his starter already being at second-stage evolution with the type advantage.

Reactions: Sun

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I definitely agree this battle is one of the more challenging rival battles that you participate in throughout the game. Especially with Chikorita which proves equally if not more challenging to use against Bugsy (I was stuck in Azalea Town for ages, Bugsy's Scyther was a beast!). Thus, I just grinded my team in the patch of grass on the route before Azalea Town and in the neighboring cave.

Years
It's definitely tough cause at that stage he always seems to be comparatively stronger to your own team than he does at later stages in the game, but it's a nice challenge :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
The rival battle in Azalea from Hg/Ss isn't that difficult, as I chose Cyndaquil. That means he has a Croconaw and I have a Flaaffy to counter him! Too bad Rival, I won you! ^_^

bobandbill

one more time
Years
It was tough back when I was a newbie to Pokemon playing GSC for the first time. HGSS is a long time later, long enough for me to gain some sort of idea about training Pokemon and battling. :V So I managed fine in those circumstances.

That said, he is a good test for newer trainers, imo! He appears with no warning and instantly demands a battle, and I bet a few players had to fight him after beating the gym, before they had healed their Pokemon!

He was a challenge to me when I was doing a grass-monotype run, but that's just me having a disadvantage there (Zubat and Gastly AND Quilava!). Early-game HGSS is pretty darn unforgiving against a grass-only team (flying for the first gym, Bugsy and a U-turning Scyther for the second...)

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I honestly don't remember ever having trouble with him in this area or any other where you fight him. :/

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I don't remember the battle being super hard but if you're struggling with Bayleef's Synthesis then maybe bring along some recovery of your own? You should be able to chip it down with your team but potions could possibly help. :]

EDIT: OK WOW THIS THREAD IS OLD but I remember finding the battle more drawn out than anything.

Back