• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Muuuuusiiiiiic

Years
  • I've noticed this trend, and had no idea how it was done. I still don't, to be honest, and I tend to ignore the music when I see it.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I don't do it as I like to keep my post as clutter-free as possible. Don't really care if other people do it either. It's just something I ignore completely when they do. I don't consider most situations in RPs to be worthy of music myself, not unless some serious or epic situation is happening and I'm really into it. (Which hasn't happened yet) Otherwise, I read them in silence.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I completely ignore any music included in a post. The problem with music added to text is that it doesn't sync up. People read at different paces, and the music plays add a consistent one. It also doesn't loop, or transition once there is a tone shift.

crimsoncero

In El-Harim, there lived a man, a man with yellow
    Years
  • I agree with what Ice said, in my opinion, RP, which is similar to literature is not good when paired with music. The music distracts the reader from the text and makes it harder to imagine and materialise the story in the head. Often the music can even contradict, as some people get a slightly different vibe from the same tune.
    So, I personally won't include music in my IC posts, and probably won't listen to music in other posts, but I do think one of the places music can add to is in an SU, as the character favorite song, or theme song, etc... and maybe in the "Arc/Chapter" posts where there is a shift in the RP, then music might act like an opening, or ending theme.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    rofl, the feeling when you add music and no one but you seems to listen to it

Music only bothers me when it's nightcore. I'm serious.

But I don't mind incorporating a little tune with your post — what's it hurt? — though it does come across as cheesy on occasion. Mostly because I know where the music's from — JRPGs, it's always JRPGs, and if not that, MMOs — and, with good writing, I don't need to "get in the mood" with some atmospheric video game track anyways, so it sometimes comes across as a distraction.

But music is no big deal and even I add sound tags because why not add hardly-fitting quirky trap music to your signature? Sometimes you just want to share your exquisite musical taste with the world... though if no one bothers to listen to it what's the point

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • I tried using it once in the OP of Trumpets. Never going to do it again. It's too much of a hassle to use and most people, like me, tend to ignore it.

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • I listen to the music people put in posts, I just don't read along with it. If I like the music, I'll get too distracted trying to pay attention to the music to focus on the post. If I don't like it, I just stop the music and read as normal.

I do appreciate people including it though, since I usually get to enjoy some neat stuff I hadn't heard before.

Years
  • The only time that I've found music to be a cool addition was during a fantasy roleplay one guy added an epic instrumental song to go along with a major battle. It was a long song, and nothing really needed to be synced up really, so it worked pretty well.

I almost never listen to music in posts though. A lot of it is because I read fast and am done with the post halfway through the song, but a lot is also because the song can be very distracting. Any songs with lyrics are an immediate turn off. Plus I am always checking posts in a place where I cant realistically listen to music, like in class or just reading on my phone or something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I don't listen to music because either it's a) a terrible song or b) a good song and I can't help but sing along/enjoy it, which distracts me from reading the post. I don't think it's a terrible thing to include - I think it shows people putting thought and creativity into their posts. This doesn't bother me any.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Whaaa, I love using music for setting the mood for my posts! It's gotta be something that can actually be listened to while reading though. Not some lyric-stuffed anime intro song hehe. Instrumental pieces work well.

I definitely listen to people's posted music when I read their posts. I'm not a fan of much css IC, as you might have heard before haha, but music enhances the reading imo. Unless it's a song I really don't think fits but yeah.

Reactions: SV

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I've used the sound tag for a lot of SUs and during some posts where I don't feel I could adequately set the mood. For instance there was one post where I was trying really hard to depict a sorrowful scene but even after reading over it several times and adding/removing lines it just didn't feel like it was enough. So then I went out and found a song that I felt helped to set the mood more.

Back