• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you tend to mostly play female or male characters?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
See title.

And: have you ever tried going non-binary gender for your character? Why/why not?

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
This is one of those topics that will reincarnate eternally.

I play mostly male characters for no other particular reason than as a subconscious default. I will play a female character on just as much of a whim.

Yes, I have played a "non-binary gender" for a character. It's called a Genderless Pokemon. I've also played creatures, monsters, supernatural entities, and anything else that does not align with human thought of self-identity.

I have not done so with an otherwise fully-functional and typical human character, since it does not interest me to refer to them with third-person pronouns, or to make some up.

Years
I try to alternate to keep it fresh. Being a male myself, I find it easier to roleplay men simply because I am one. So that's actually one of the things I like about occasionally roleplaying a female is that's sometimes it can be more challenging in different ways. But when it comes down to it, a lot of whether or not I write up a male or female comes down to the backstory I had in mind. I tend to think up a backstory for a character based on the premise for a roleplay before actually choosing the gender or other aspects of a character.

I've never roleplayed a gender neutral character that I can think of. It seems like an interesting thing to do, but I also think that even if you have a character which is technically genderless, aspects of one gender or the other typically will come out in how you roleplay them.

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
To avoid disclosing my gender, I can't bring myself to give an actual answer for the question without revealing such personal info. But it seems evident that most have an affinity with their respective gender, as it's easier to connect with something that's familiar to them. On top of that, I imagine it would require a little more work and research when it comes to writing characters of the opposite. After all, I doubt anyone wants to enforce any unfortunate implications of either sexes that they inadvertently based on common negative stereotypes.

On the topic of gender-neutral characters, I feel like it would be super fun when to roleplay as character who's so androgynous, their gender remains completely ambiguous and a fun challenge for other players would be to decide if they are male or female. I've never done this myself, but I've always wanted to in a roleplay. Only problem is that the English language lacks a gender-neutral pronoun, so I and others would be constantly referring to my character with "them" and "they", which sounds super awkward in context.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Mostly girls for me.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 14, 2018
I play mostly male characters because they're "easier" for me (considering I'm a dude, bro), but I do enjoy mixing things up and playing girls from time to time.

As for RPing a non-binary gender character, I can't say I've ever given it any thought, and honestly it just doesn't seem an interesting topic to me. Also, I like to RP because it is soothing and relaxing to me, I wouldn't want to write something so controversial in a RP because it would defeat the purpose.

Years
I think most of my characters have been male, but I've got a fair few female characters too so I think there's a decent enough balance. I have to admit though, I don't think I've ever played as a non-binary character although there's no real reason for this. My characters tend to just appear in my head so there's not much of a decision either way.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Yeah, I've never played a "non-binary" character outside of genderless Pokemon, though an ambiguous character has come to mind once.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I've played both genders, although I do skew male, having played 4 male characters, but only 2 female ones. I don't prefer one much over the other perse, and the only reason I mainly go male is because as a male, that's where you tend to default to. I haven't played a non-binary character, and I don't think I really will. While male/female tends to be quite unimpactful on the overall story, a gender neutral or transgender character feels to me like they warrant some impact. If I'm playing in a modern day setting, and I decide to play as a gender neutral character, I feel like I should have the world around it react to that, and I don't feel like I'm knowledgeable enough about those situations to do them justice. People can go through some serious mental or environmental problems because of them being non-binary, and my grasp on that is weak, so I feel I wouldn't be able to accurately and respectfully reflect that.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
As most people, I play characters that match my own gender, which is male. I find it makes it easier to write when I can identify with the character in some way. I think I will start trying out writing as a female character at some point soon though so that I may stray from comfort zone a little bit more.

As for non-binary gender characters, that would be a negative. I find that that adds a whole other dimension to a character that I am not ready for

smocks

fiat lux
Years
As most people, I play characters that match my own gender, which is male. I find it makes it easier to write when I can identify with the character in some way.
Same, I play as female on my "main" game because I am female and I tend to like the female design better, but when I get two copies (like XY), the one I tend to favor more I'll be female and the other one I would play as a male :3
But sometimes I will play as a female for both games

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Looking at some of my more prominent/recent characters, I count 3 females (Sophia, Nerites, Sahn, Sol) and 3 males (Jairo, Errol and Eric), disregarding the plethora of Ryans I played in the past. While I absolutely love all of these characters, I've noticed however that my favorites tend to be around the female side. I can't really say I 'default' to one gender or another when making a character, I just sort of think up an idea and try and see objectively if the character would work better as male or female. I really don't get the whole "it's not my gender so I can't write it as well" kind of thing, it's similar to acting - just get into character and write like you think they would based on their personality, not their gender.

Years
I feel I can play either gender equally well, but most of my characters tend to be female. And with only a couple exceptions, my favorite characters to play have been female. When I'm making an SU, unless I have an idea in mind, I usually flip a coin to decide male or female, but I have a lot more ideas and voices in my head for girls. I just find them more dynamic and interesting than guys, who I usually only have one or two variations on.

As for non-binary gender, I think I've played a genderless creature once, but I can't recall. I know I once played a eunuch, but the subject never came up. (Long story. Short version is: playing a eunuch came up as a joke, I jokingly agreed to try it, then decided to roll with it. But no one ever mentioned it again, so it was just a fun detail in my mind.)

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
As people have commented on in the past, most of the characters I play tend to be female.

I have a myriad of characters belonging to both genders, though. I don't consider either gender to be easier or more difficult to play. A character is a character, so there's no reason to limit myself to playing my own gender. As I'm male and my characters tend to be female, I've kind of already thrown that "limitation" out the window anyways.

I don't believe I've ever played a non-binary character. I have made non-binary characters, but have not roleplayed as one. Even with genderless creatures, like certain pokémon, I prefer to assign them genders most of the time anyways..

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
Years
when i first started out here i pretty much only made male characters, but then i realized that and now i mostly play female characters... i should probably make myself find a balance

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
My mind is like Foxrally's on this matter. I form an idea in my head and it doesn't matter much which gender the character end up with. A consequence of that is that my chars probably never are very far to either the feminine or masculine side, but rather somewhere in between.

I do feel a little bit like Ice does on the nonbinary question. Since I can't relate or understand the phenomena much, I don't feel like I could properly write such a character without risking offending somebody. Maybe that's an irrational concern?

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
Years
I'm a guy, and I tend to play male characters, however I have played a few female ones, I think it really just depends upon how I'm feeling at that moment. I've never tried anything non-binary, but it's a great idea, I might do that.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
Years
Even though I'm not one to twist up or play with my gender all that much irl, I love playing characters that do in some shape or form. All in all though, I have an easier time thinking up intriguing female characters than interesting male characters.​

Back