• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Bikes and HMs gone in Sun and Moon

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Two more staples of the series seem to be gone! The Move Deleter has made Pokemon forget HMs permanently,
    HALLELUJAH!

latest

FINALLY! Now those dumb slot wasters won't limit my team's TRUE potiential! Thank you Pokéride, with this kind deed surely you can do no wrong-

and Tauros probably ran over your bike too.
    WH-WHA-WHYYYYY? 'Sobs' I loved the bike! D:

Ah well, I kind of had a feeling it wouldn't be returning after I first saw Pokéride. I guess Tauros/Stoutland/Mudsdale will serve a good replacement...

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    The only bad thing about this is that I might have to hold B while hatching eggs now.

HMs being gone is fantastic. It should have happened years ago.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • I am super happy that HM's are gone. They were always annoying and pointless. They honestly don't make any sense.

As for bikes... I would be sad if they are gone. I don't always use bikes, but they are handy. Will I be able to ride my Pokemon instead D:?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • So many changes, wowzers. I figured HMs would become a thing of the past one day, but I didn't expect it this soon. It's good to see that they've turned them into TMs, but it'd be even better if certain Pokémon just possessed the ability to Surf/Fly/climb waterfalls etc. without it needing to occupy a moveslot.

As for the bike being removed, it'll probably take some getting used to, but I barely even used it anyways in X and Y. Hopefully riding Pokémon will serve as a good replacement.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I'm happy with the removal of the HM's, but I'm a bit annoyed that the number of TM's isn't raised. I hope some technique are still available with battle points or any other method.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    Good riddance to HM moves that cannot be overwritten. The absence of bikes makes me wonder how eggs will be handled this gen.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Hopefully we can get Move Tutors for moves that were in Gen 1 like in Gen 3. ORAS could of gave us the Move Tutors for those moves but they didn't.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I just hope there's move tutors (and I mean like the BW2/ORAS ones, not the guys who teach you the elemental hyper beams and shit like that) period. They've had this tendency to only include them every other game for some stupid ass reason. Given that we had them in ORAS, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't in Sun/Moon. But I really hope that's not the case.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I just hope Surf and Fly are still available as a TM! And that the game will be more difficult with these changes.

I really want the bike though... what about egg hatching and transportation?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • They are available as TMs.

And we'll have to find out about egg hatching, although I wouldn't be surprised if riding Tauros or really any other Pokemon counts towards steps to hatching eggs. As far as Transportation... I assume you just ride on Charizard and Mega Sharpedo to get where you want to go? What kind of transportation do you mean?

I can ride a Charizard in this game? on routes?

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • Wow I didn't know this yet! So glad about HM removal, because 'cut'. Kinda sad about the bikes, mainly because I liked the bike music. But I don't mind riding a Tauros at all. And thank pokemon for using logic with the riding suit.

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • I didn't play the demo yet when I posted that, thanks for telling me :D. I did hear the Tauros theme and I liked it. I am glad they kept some HMs as Tms though, as I love surf.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm fine with the HM changes (my favorites seem to still be present as TMs, and HMs have been a bit of a pain anyway), but I'm going to miss the bike. I wonder how breeding will work without cycling. Also, I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet, so I'll have to figure out what I think of riding Pokemon as a replacement.

Do you have to have a Pokemon in your party to ride it, or can you access it from afar like with Lati@s soaring in ORAS? I don't want to have to cut down the number of eggs I can carry while breeding even more in order to have a Pokemon to speed things up + a flame body Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    You can call upon specific rideable Pokemon, if the demo tells me anything (and as far as I know). And no, they aren't in your party, so you can call upon them whenever.

So more like soaring in ORAS, then? Sounds good to me. I guess the one concern could be if you couldn't get a fast enough riding Pokemon early enough in the game, but I'm sure they design things so that you'll have access to faster Pokemon, flying Pokemon, etc., in due course.

I really ought to find some time to play the demo!

Back