• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Physical vs Digital

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
  • For me it's about convenience. Since I'm (From Parts Unknown XD) I can't really get most games on disk. So I just buy digital, steam almost has every game in the sun after all.

But if I had to choose physical all the way...

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Why does it have to be one or the other?

I buy physical whenever I can! For the rest I buy digital. Most PC games you get physical now-a-days normally comes with a steam code anyways!

The only benefit digital really has over physical for me is pre-loading. And thats not even that great because you normally have to download a huge ass patch anyways which defeats the purpose of pre-loading in the first place...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I tend to go for physical when I can, suppose it's because that's what I'm more used to. back in my day digital game downloads wasn't a thing

But lately I've gotten some stuff digitally. Bought the Mass Effect games and Metal Gear Solid 3, Peace Walker and V that way (my PS3 has a lot more storage space than I for the longest time thought it did). You can still still get physical copies of those, it's just that it seems that you can't get non-preowned copies, and after my used copy of MGS HD Collection didn't work worth a shit I've become a bit wary (that is the correct spelling of the word btw, weary is a different word people) of pre-owned copies.

Years
  • I've always preferred physical games. I feel they're safer should I want to bring them somewhere or just for longevity. (If the device goes so does the game.)

I've had bad experiences with digital games, as I bought a bunch of them for the 3DS/Wii U, but something glitched in my account making me lose access to all my games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I think the past few years I've preferred digital over physical, mainly for convenience. For PC games, I've found it a lot easier to find deals and sales on digital games too, either through sites like GMG and Humble Bundle or just Steam sales itself. For console games, I've only opted for physical copies if the digital store doesn't have the game I want.

And I guess I get kind of absentminded/lazy with putting games back where they belong - another problem I always had growing up was I could never find my games. :P I had a habit of just sticking games in the wrong boxes when I swap them out, and the boxes themselves were also scattered throughout the house; finding the game I want to play was just a nightmare, so having a digital library where I can't misplace things is just great for me.

Years
  • I prefer physical. Some pals had problems with their accounts and had lost their achievements, but luckily, they kept their games, because they were physical. However I'm not closed to digital. The PS Vita had forced me to open up to digital (even though, I try to get them on offers, those Digital games). However, when it comes to pre-orders and such, I get them on Amazon, thanks to Prime Discount, and that we can import cheaply and quickly to my country, from the US.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Not really considering pricetags since thats a different matter altogether, i mostly go physical mainly to help with installations since i live in a country where it can take days to download a full game. Our internet speeds are as fast as a boatload of @-- so i mainly go physical whenever possible. Also the boxes are a nice thing to have as there is just that sweet feeling of glee

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It has to be physical. Digital doesn't allow me to sell back my things after playing, haha.

Years
  • i have a mixture of both digital and physical due to reasons like a store was out of stock of said game u could get in the psn or xbox marketplaces like gta on my ps4 is digital since walmart was out of copies of gta for ps4 when i got mine

Years
  • I love having a physical copy of a game, I think it's a much better experience having a case and disc and being able to have something physical to remember the game by.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I love having a physical copy of a game, I think it's a much better experience having a case and disc and being able to have something physical to remember the game by.

But how do you keep space reserved for all of your games? I always run out D:

Yukari

But how do you keep space reserved for all of your games? I always run out D:

Have a ridiculous amount of unused space in your house.

Not saying that works for... probably most people, but that's how I do it.

Oh, speaking of, I can't say I prefer either. Both have pros and cons and I feel like they kind of even each other out in my eyes. Most of my library is digital since I own a Gaming PC and buy stuff on Steam that I'll probably never play all the time but I actually prefer buying physical when I can.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Personally, I find it's more common for me to buy digital games most of the time these days, even though at times I would prefer physical one as well, considering that both physical and digital games have their own benefits.

Years
  • Honestly, I really love having the physical games. There's just something about having a game in my hands and using disks that I enjoy. Digital is pretty good and speeds up the process for sure, but for me personally, has to be physical media. I'm an old gaming soul.​

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • By all means physical. I would rather hold a case with cute girls than see a bunch of data that isn't even mine until I download it.

There is only one advantage of digital games and that is sales. Since digitals become on sale more often, I do get digitals, but physical is miles better in every possible aspect (especially on older platforms where you actually had the data on disc instead of being 'insta-downloaded')

Back