• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which type of RPG do you prefer?

Which type of RPG do you prefer?

• Turn-based

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Action

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Tactical

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Mainly referring to single-player RPGs so no MMO.
    Turn-based: Pok?mon, Hyperdimension Neptunia, old school Final Fantasy
    Action: Nights of Azure, Kingdom Hearts, Nier Automata
    Tactical: Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, Pok?mon Conquest

In my case it depends on my mood. If I want to kick some ass I'll play an action RPG, if I want to be more laid back I play turn-based, and if I want to test my brain more I go with tactical. Generally I prefer action RPGs just because I'm a fighting game fanatic so it's a best of both worlds.

YellowTemperance

DeDeDoodles™ by Kirby
    Years
  • Tactical, for me. I'm a big fan of Disgaea games, and I've been thinking of playing Fire Emblem Echoes. I have Shining Force on my 3DS, too, via custom Virtual Console, so I'm never too far from a good strategy RPG.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They're all fine to me, idk if I'd say I have a preference for any particular type.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I think I prefer turn based games as that was the majority of what I played growing up, with Grandia doing it best. I like them all though. Whether it be Fire Emblem for tactical or Dark Cloud 2 for action.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • I'm a turn-based person, myself.

I'm kinda bad at real-time stuff because of reaction time issues and ADHD, and tactical stuff, at least for me, is a bit too "THINK HARD OR FAIL" more often than not, which, again, is bad when my ADHD and pressure stuff is taken into consideration.

So turn-based is what I generally go for, though I'm not against other genres.

DarkestMidnight

[color=black][b][font=Shadows Into Light]Demon Sla
    Years
  • Nice thread. RPG is my favorite genre, but honestly I couldn't tell you what my favorite type is. I don't really stick to one thing or another, I just play a lot of games and I like a little bit of everything. I've been playing RPGs for over 10 years but I've never really set in on a favorite type.

GarlandChaos

Holy Diver
    Years
  • >no mention of Disgaea.

I'm boycotting this poll.

Based on that response, I think it's obvious my favourite is Tactical RPGs. :P

Disgaea is a series I would LOVE to play, but there's a lot of mechanics and such to think about that kind of embody a lot of reasons why I'm not a huge fan of Strategy RPGs, Fire Emblem being the most notable exception.

I do like the mechanics in the Disgaea series, though. There's a lot of cool humanoid and monster classes that I really like the designs of, not to mention the characters as well. :3

Years
  • Action! I don't get as much honest satisfaction from picking a move and watching characters enact it with no further input as I do when slicin' and dicin' 'em myself. It feels more like I've accomplished something in that case, and the EXP feels more earned.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    For "JRPGS"? Turn based, 100%.

For western RPGs I'm a little more open to action, though Fallout 4 is a great example of how this can actually be a steaming pile of turd over turn based games like Fallout 2.

Years
  • Growing up with the mainline Pokemon games, turn base is my comfort zone. I like having the options to take my time when fighting a tough enemies or selecting my moves quickly if I already know how to handle the situation. It's kind of the reason why it's taking a long time for me to get comfortable with real time RPGs.

To be fair, I haven't played a lot of tactical RPGs.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Action RPGs and tactical ones are pretty much equal to me in terms of enjoyment. As for turn-based games, I've found that over the years that I'm enjoying them less and less. It's not because of the game, per se, but the mechanics that are usually associated with turn-based games, such as endless grinding. I pretty much gave up halfway through Bravely Default because I spent more hours grinding my party in other classes to help me beat the game than playing the game itself. And the boss fights basically became "spam items to kill the boss while healing occasionally".

Yukari

That depends on how the gameplay of the individual game is. I enjoy Dark Souls and Final Fantasy 7 equally, for example, in spite of having completely different gamplay.

Back