• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
Maybe you can do it where a slot cannot keep the same move for more than X levels, forcing you to eventually swap out each slot.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Maybe you can do it where a slot cannot keep the same move for more than X levels, forcing you to eventually swap out each slot.

That's a really good idea, tho it may have to be for X moves learned (thinking 7) because some pokes learn moves every 4 or 5 levels, while some other ones (legendaries, Smeargle) go 10 levels between moves and some (Ditto, Magikarp) only learn less than 4 moves.

EDIT: this idea is better rip

I don't know if this would work with everyone. Like you said, bugs learn a lot of utility moves, so I just looked up Butterfree on Bulbapedia. In the first generation, it learns 5 consecutive non-direct damage moves (PoisonPowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Supersonic, Whirlwind) between Confusion and Psybeam (in Red/Blue, or Gust in Yellow). I don't know if there are any that go longer in between damaging moves (and don't really want to check lol). Maybe you could add something to the rules saying that a Pokemon may not keep a move if it has learned 5 moves since it learned the first move, unless deleting the first move would leave the Pokemon without any damaging moves (horrible wording that would need to be fleshed out, but you get the idea).

What I might do is have the dice roll mechanics, except re-roll if it would leave the poke with no damaging moves.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
WHY WON'T THE JOHTO E-4 DARK TYPE LEADER FREAKING LOSE TO ME!!!!!!!! Her Houndoom ohko's MY NIDOKING with a flamethrower WHAT THE HECK and they are around the same lvl.

Years
Necrum said:

Good idea. This would close a loophole people could abuse.

I don't know if this would work with everyone. Like you said, bugs learn a lot of utility moves, so I just looked up Butterfree on Bulbapedia. In the first generation, it learns 5 consecutive non-direct damage moves (PoisonPowder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, Supersonic, Whirlwind) between Confusion and Psybeam (in Red/Blue, or Gust in Yellow). I don't know if there are any that go longer in between damaging moves (and don't really want to check lol). Maybe you could add something to the rules saying that a Pokemon may not keep a move if it has learned 5 moves since it learned the first move, unless deleting the first move would leave the Pokemon without any damaging moves (horrible wording that would need to be fleshed out, but you get the idea).

That is a good idea. Make an exception so Pokemon that don't learn damaging moves don't have to delete their only attack. In Red and Blue, there is a 20 level jump between the 2 attacks Butterfree learns naturally, so unless you plan on constantly using TMs to give it an attack, you'd be out of luck with it.

ddrox13 said:
That's a really good idea, tho it may have to be for X moves learned (thinking 7) because some pokes learn moves every 4 or 5 levels, while some other ones (legendaries, Smeargle) go 10 levels between moves and some (Ditto, Magikarp) only learn less than 4 moves.

Learning less than 4 attacks is fine since there could be an exception saying you can ignore the rule about only keeping an attack for so many turns if the Pokemon learns 4 or less attacks. Of course, we would have to make another rule for Smeargle since someone could just hold onto sketch in their third or fourth skill slot so it won't try to learn sketch again. Maybe have a rule that says you have to use sketch within 9 levels of learning it?

Obsideon said:
WHY WON'T THE JOHTO E-4 DARK TYPE LEADER FREAKING LOSE TO ME!!!!!!!! Her Houndoom ohko's MY NIDOKING with a flamethrower WHAT THE HECK and they are around the same lvl.

Base 110 Special Attack + STAB damage + No resistance/Nidokings base 85 Sp. Def. Do you have a water or rock type Pokemon you could use instead? Or a way to give it an status ailment? You could also use an x sp. def to lower the damage.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years

Also her Houndy is cute. That is all.

I'm gonna assume you are doing a Solo Run here because your mono is Bug, I miiiiight leveling up if you are even-level in a solo. Houndoom is only base 95 speed to your 85, so get up a few levels and try to outspeed. If you do outspeed and the problem is failure to OHKO Houndoom you have made a terrible mistake.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Also her Houndy is cute. That is all.

I'm gonna assume you are doing a Solo Run here because your mono is Bug, I miiiiight leveling up if you are even-level in a solo. Houndoom is only base 95 speed to your 85, so get up a few levels and try to outspeed. If you do outspeed and the problem is failure to OHKO Houndoom you have made a terrible mistake.

Nope it is the new years event challenge and I guess I will have to grind.

Base 110 Special Attack + STAB damage + No resistance/Nidokings base 85 Sp. Def. Do you have a water or rock type Pokemon you could use instead? Or a way to give it an status ailment? You could also use an x sp. def to lower the damage.

Well I have a slowpoke but um it is to slow so I get hit with dark pulse if I try. Even with the choice scarf.

Years
Well I have a slowpoke but um it is to slow so I get hit with dark pulse if I try. Even with the choice scarf.

I looked at the resolution challenge and your current team isn't posted (unless I completely looked over it?) so I can't really help too much. Um, if you have that Quilava/Typhlosion (if you evolved it) could work pretty well. If you still have smokescreen still left it would be really useful. Also, ground type Pokemon don't resist fire types but ground types are super effective against fire types.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
I looked at the resolution challenge and your current team isn't posted (unless I completely looked over it?) so I can't really help too much. Um, if you have that Quilava/Typhlosion (if you evolved it) could work pretty well. If you still have smokescreen still left it would be really useful. Also, ground type Pokemon don't resist fire types but ground types are super effective against fire types.

I thought they resisted but I did know about the effectiveness. And my team is.

Quilava (yes I have smokescreen cause it is useful)
Slowpoke (knows surf)
Ampharos (thunder wave power)
Furret (I mostly use him as a pivot or to kill ghosts with sucker punch and shadow claw sometimes psychics)
Nidoking (knows dig and earth power)
Fearow (It knows pursuit and roost along with fly and aerial ace)

Years
I thought they resisted but I did know about the effectiveness. And my team is.

Quilava (yes I have smokescreen cause it is useful)
Slowpoke (knows surf)
Ampharos (thunder wave power)
Furret (I mostly use him as a pivot or to kill ghosts with sucker punch and shadow claw sometimes psychics)
Nidoking (knows dig and earth power)
Fearow (It knows pursuit and roost along with fly and aerial ace)

Okay, you could use Ampharos to paralyze houndoom to lower its speed or use Quilava for smokescreen to lower its accuracy. As long as Nidoking doesn't get hit or can outspeed it, Houndoom should be easily killed with Dig since its base attack is higher than sp. attack (although the stats may be different so you need to check that. If you can, try giving Nidoking something to keep it in the game, like a focus sash.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
Okay, you could use Ampharos to paralyze houndoom to lower its speed or use Quilava for smokescreen to lower its accuracy. As long as Nidoking doesn't get hit or can outspeed it, Houndoom should be easily killed with Dig since its base attack is higher than sp. attack (although the stats may be different so you need to check that. If you can, try giving Nidoking something to keep it in the game, like a focus sash.

I think it is to early in game to get that I only got the choice scarf cause the mom npc sent it to me. And I forgot to mention that Amphy can use cotton spore (very very useful).

Years
I think it is to early in game to get that I only got the choice scarf cause the mom npc sent it to me. And I forgot to mention that Amphy can use cotton spore (very very useful).

It is useful. Is this a nuzlocke? If not, you have a little more room to allow Ampharos to be fainted while setting everything up.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
It is useful. Is this a nuzlocke? If not, you have a little more room to allow Ampharos to be fainted while setting everything up.

Nope not a nuzlocke (I have never done one though I plan to fix that at some point). And I won't have any reason to keep Amphy for lance battle except for his Gyarados after that Nido can just troll with avalanche unless it gets killed by a stray outrage or water type move from those dragonairs.

Years
Nope not a nuzlocke (I have never done one though I plan to fix that at some point). And I won't have any reason to keep Amphy for lance battle except for his Gyarados after that Nido can just troll with avalanche unless it gets killed by a stray outrage or water type move from those dragonairs.

Are you not using items? Revives?

Years
Nuzlocke run questions

I was considering the Nuzlocke challenge and I was wondering which versions youse guys play?
I can't use OR because I just reached Victory Road, but if I can find my B/B2 carts I'd be willing to restart one of them for a Nuzlocke run.

And I was also wondering which optional rules youse guys employ?
After looking at the standards, I think I could take on a few more challenges.

Hoping this is in the right category.

coolcatkim22

Team Rocket's Rockin'
Years
I usually go with standard rules.

- Only catch the first Pokemon you meet in a new location (unless you've caught it before, then you catch the next Pokemon you meet).
- Can't catch evolved Pokemon (unless they evolved from a baby Pokemon)
- If your Pokemon faints, you release it.
- Only can use healing items during battle.
- Can get any gift Pokemon (you can only get one Pokemon from game corner though)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
So my rules are a bit different than CoolCatKim's. I use the standard first on route and dead if KOed stuff, but I word my clauses differently:

- Gift Clause: Gift Pokemon count as an encounter in the area they are received in. For example, if you take the Lucario from Korrina and use it, you may not fish for a Pokemon in that city. All in-game trades are legal, and do not count towards this limit.
- Species Clause: If the first encounter on a route is a Pokemon that was a first encounter on another route, you MUST ignore it and get a new encounter. If the first encounter on a route is in the same evolution line as a Pokemon that was a first encounter on another route, you MAY ignore it and get a new encounter.
- Shiny Clause: All Shiny Pokemon found naturally in the wild are allowed to be caught and used. The Red Gyarados in GSCHGSS is exempt and can be caught only if it is the first encounter in the Lake of Rage
- Failure Clause: The challenge is failed if at any point you black/white out.

And then if I want a real challenge
- Set Clause: The game mode must be set to "Set" as soon as possible.

Evolutions are fine to catch though. XY endgame is basically impossible without them.

I have nuzlocked Y and every Sinnoh game. XY is a good place to start.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
I only did one Nuzlocke which is a Randomized one for Blue (although I plan to do another simple regular one in the future), and the only rule I imposed is the Duplication Clause where if your first encounter is a Pokemon you already catched, you can skip until you find one which you haven't got for better variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back