• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
Years
  • I'm pretty sure there isn't a hard Emulator yet for 3DS that doesn't require a load of special stuff and a lot of time and effort to use. All of the other Emu's for it are fake and make you complete "surveys" in order to play. I know there are some "ROM hacks" of X and Y which are basically harder versions of the game but as of now I'm pretty sure there isn't an easy to use Emu or decent ROMs for ORAS.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I had this challenge in my head, and I'm currently testing it. I'm okay if people add some extra suggestions for this or if there's any reasons why this challenge is a bad one. The main goal is to encourage players to use Pokemon from later routes and not sticking to the ones you had early in the game:

The Tinkerman Challenge

1. For each route/area, you must only pick one Pokemon (preferably one which you haven't used it before), and put it on your team. Your starter counts as an area. You can catch as many Pokemon as you like for every route, as long as you pick only one Pokemon per route on your team. The Pokemon must be different. I'll pick Pokemon Red as an example:
    Spoiler:

It's basically kinda like a Nuzlocke, but the difference is you must put one from each route in your team. No "catch the first Pokemon you see" rule, just you can pick only one Pokemon from any Pokemon in each route.
    2. If it has reached a point where the next route has all the Pokemon you already have, you can skip the route.
    3. If the route has only one Pokemon (I'm looking at you, Unowns from the Ruins of Alph), you can either have the choice to put it on your team, or skip it.
    4. For gifted Pokemon, you can have the choice to either put it on your team, or skip it as well.
    5. If you reached a point where you run out of money for Pokeballs, you must sell some of your items to get some money to buy them. If you're really broke, you can battle trainers from later routes, but you still must put one Pokemon per route in your team.
    6. Once your team has 6 Pokemon, for the next route, you must replace 1 of your 6 main Pokemon with a new one from the next route. Yes, this means that your final team will include one Pokemon from Victory Road.
    Spoiler:

7. Of course, you would think, "Oh, that's easy, I can just have the 6th Pokemon be Pokemon from the new routes and I'll just replace it often every time I walk into a new route". Nope, once you got at least 6 Pokemon, for every new Pokemon per route, they have a "4 Routes" limit. This means that these new Pokemon cannot be replaced until you passed 4 routes. Yes, this means that you could keep your starter (or your other preferred Pokemon early in the game) and/or your HM slave until the end of the game, with the other 4 being the Pokemon from the new routes.
    8. And once you replace your old Pokemon with your new Pokemon, you cannot use your old Pokemon anymore. You may use it for grinding purposes, but you cannot use it to battle trainers/gym leaders/Elite 4/Champion.
    9. Your final team's levels must be at least the lowest level of the first member of the Elite 4.

Last edited:
    Years
  • How about an eeveelution challenge.I mean to say that you shall use any 6 of the eeveelutions and complete the game with them.

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 6, 2018
    How about an eeveelution challenge.I mean to say that you shall use any 6 of the eeveelutions and complete the game with them.

Tgat has already been done infact I signed up for it and was halfway through my first run when the save got deleted. You could ask to restart the thread if you do I'll be the first to sign up!

Wanderer Miror B.

The user formerly known as Orrefan8888
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2017
    I had this challenge in my head, and I'm currently testing it. I'm okay if people add some extra suggestions for this or if there's any reasons why this challenge is a bad one. The main goal is to encourage players to use Pokemon from later routes and not sticking to the ones you had early in the game:

The Tinkerman Challenge

I like the idea of this; being forced to use pokemon I wouldn't choose is always fun. If I played it, I'd probably just take the first Pokemon for each route for challenge's sake, but the rules as they are look reasonable. If you start a thread for this one I'd definitely sign up!

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • I like the idea of this; being forced to use pokemon I wouldn't choose is always fun. If I played it, I'd probably just take the first Pokemon for each route for challenge's sake, but the rules as they are look reasonable. If you start a thread for this one I'd definitely sign up!

Isn't that similar to "The ones that got away" Challenge? or even a variant of it?

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Isn't that similar to "The ones that got away" Challenge? or even a variant of it?

It's slightly similar, yes. However, the difference is mine encourages the usage of early and especially later Pokemon you get in the game. The "The ones that got away" challenge can be a combination of that, but you could have an advantage of sticking to the early Pokemons you get in the game due to you can either hack the Pokemons you want early in the game, or just choosing the Pokemons which are available early in the game.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2015
    Nuzlocke Challenge Questions

So I'm preparing for my first nuzlocke challenge on my 24 hours stream tomorrow but I still have a few questions about nuzlocke that I can't seem to find anywhere.

First of all, I want to mention that I will be playing on Pokemon Gold simply because I have not played it since it was released so it will be semi blind for me (I haven't played any game past Gold/Silver)

But my questions are:

In Pokemon Blue/Red you go through tall grass before having any Pokeballs. I do not know if it's the same in Gold/Silver but if it is, can you go back to this area once you have Pokeballs to catch a Pokemon?

What are the rules on items? Can I just stock up on a lot of potions since I won't be buying a lot of Pokeballs?

Anything else I should know about before starting? As far as I know the rules are:
    Catch only one pokemon per area and if a Pokemon faints, you have to release it. Are there any others?

Thanks!!!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Nuzlocke rules only applied once you have the Pokeballs. And as for items, you can have as many potions as you want unless you apply some clauses.

And regarding the rules other than you have to nickname your Pokemon I think that's about it.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • Worst Nuzlocke Journey?

I want to hear what your worst nuzlocke journey was/is. I don't mean "OmGz I toTeS loSt AgaINst R1VAL iN fIrST mATCh LoLz" I want to hear a story where you made it well into the game and lost (or won against all odds, down to one hp on last Team Member maybe?) or maybe you're still on your journey today. What about your journey made it a terrible experience? One team member being cursed and always suffering from hax? Made it to the very end but got taken out to crits? One pokemon in particular who found a way to sweep through your team after hours of grinding?

The reason this just came to mind was that I am currently doing a Nuzlocke run on Omega Ruby. I fell in love with a Skitty named Skittles. I was going to keep her for the full game. At first I wasn't sure how to utilize her but she grew on me very quickly. Even after I was planning on using her for Nosepass fodder in the first gym. I didn't lose her in that match and she became my go-to Team Member. She learned Thunder Wave from a TM that could hit ground types and while her stats weren't the best, she was a very versatile member of my team. I lost her to the Winstrate Family. The Lass had a Roselia who used a painful stun spore and leech seed combo. I nearly lost my beloved Silk the Dustox (Caught as a wurmple and I was hoping for a Beautifly). Silk made it through after several turns of paralysis but her health was so low that I switched into Skittles hoping for a quick Fake Out/Faint attack. Her ability was Normalize and she was a holding Silk Scarf which hurts and cripples most enemies. Unfortunately for her she could only cripple the Roselia and was taken out by a very powerful Mega Drain from a little over half healthish. I felt devastated. Later down the path I found Spinda on route 113 (Bear with me, this will make sense as you read). Normally, I catch every single pokemon that I can on a Nuzlocke challenge but this one time I was particularly upset that my first pokemon was a Spinda so I killed it. No second thought, no remorse. When I got to Meteor Falls I thought about Skittles when I found the Moon Stone needed to evolve her. It's still in my bag and will probably go unused in this run. After progressing through the game, I kept (and keep) thinking that Skittles would have been really useful in certain battles. I ran into a trainer who had a Delcatty and felt a pang of misery because I would have sent out my Skittles to face it. Joey isn't the only one who thinks his pokemon are in the top percentage. Then to my dismay I reach Fortree City. I talk to one of the residents there and they have a proposition. If I trade them a Spinda they will trade me a Skitty.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Challenges actually mainly keeps threads to the actual challenges themselves, but since Ben can't merge this with Challenge Ideas and Discussions, I went ahead and did it. :>

Anyway, I've only done one kind of Locke challenge (Wonderlocke), but GOD I'm still upset about losing my Charmeleon. I was so happy to have one and I lost him to like...something stupid, iirc. :s I lost a Fletchinder to a Machoke too because I didn't realize it would have Rock Tomb. UGH. I ended up getting a Torchic off Wonder Trade way later in the game which thankfully was able to carry me through the rest of the game. :') But still, the losses along the way...ugh.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
    Years
  • That's interesting actually. It's been a very long time since I've been an active member so I'm a bit unfamiliar with how things are unorganized right now.
    Silk the Dustox was taken out by a Hariyama. I was training a Solrock that I had just caught and was facing the trainers on the beach entrance to Meteor Falls. The trainer sent out his Hariyama. I was using the first-slot training method and switched out to Silk for the quad resistance when it used Belly drum. I never thought I would get so attached to these Pokemon I once considered weak but in this Nuzlocke journey, I nearly cried over all the emotional trauma that this game has put me through. RIP my unexpected friends, RIP :[

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well, we don't typically get any challenge discussion threads on their own, so it's actually an uncommon case that you made one. :P Most people discuss their challenges here in this thread, the DCC, and within the challenge threads themselves.

Yeah, the worst deaths are the ones that just come out of the blue, like to critical hits or something. :( I found grinding to be near impossible because it was just entirely too risky. I was actually grinding when I lost my Sandslash and I think something else just while I was out trying to raise my levels. Also, I remembered how I lost Charmeleon, it was to a Wobbuffet. :( I wasn't able to run and I couldn't hit it hard enough to take it out in one hit and, well, we all know how Wobbuffet works...ugh.

MachoPony

Resident Brony
    Years
  • i think the worst part of nuzlockes is when a pokemon you know is strong that you've had for a long time (R.I.P Beaker the Fearow LV 5-LV39 pokemon outlaw) dies due to misjudgment or a critical hit.

also anybody know if anything is planned for christmas in terms of events? i mean Halloween had an event challenge for goodness sake.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2017
    Okay, I have a few ideas (names are placeholders and I have no idea if they're being used already):

Status run: Start with a starter pokemon of your choosing, at level five, with any moves that it can legitimately learn by level five, whether by TM, breeding or leveling. Impossible combinations are illegal. Throughout the entire game, you must ONLY use status moves. Struggle is the one exception, but you can't willingly let yourself get to this point. I think it's a pretty cool idea that could lead to a really unique team, and it could allow certain pokemon to shine where normally they'd be garbage.

FEARlocke: Begin at the first point where it's possible to breed a FEAR rattata or similar. Breed a few and deposit all your other pokemon. From that point onward, you may only use level 1 pokemon. The moment a pokemon faints or gains a level, it is considered dead and must be released or boxed. For an extra challenge, switch the battle style to set instead of shift. I feel like this is a bad one because it's overly grindy, but it could make you think about different combinations you could use to get a FEAR-esque pokemon. I guess to make this possible you can use infinite focus sashes.

Weaklocke: Begin like a normal nuzlocke. In all trainer battles, after defeating the opponent's first pokemon, you MUST send out a pokemon weak to at least one of the opponent's next pokemon's types. If it's physically impossible for you to have said pokemon at that point in the game, you recieve no penalty. Otherwise, failure to switch to a pokemon with the correct weakness results in your pokemon's death at the end of the battle (after the opponent has been defeated, not after a single pokemon).

I feel like I need an example for the Weaklocke. Let's say I'm battling a team magma/aqua grunt at Mt Chimney in AS. The first pokemon doesn't matter as there is no way to know what their first pokemon is before the battle. Once I defeat the first pokemon though, the game says they're about to send in Mightyena, a dark type. As Lunatone can be caught before this point, and they are weak to dark types, unless I send out a pokemon weak to dark types, the pokemon I send out next will die regardless of the outcome of the match. So let's say I don't have a Lunatone, so I send out Lombre instead. I can use Lombre to defeat the rest of the grunt's team, but as soon as I win the battle, Lombre dies and I can't use it again.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Yeah, the worst deaths are the ones that just come out of the blue, like to critical hits or something. :( I found grinding to be near impossible because it was just entirely too risky. I was actually grinding when I lost my Sandslash and I think something else just while I was out trying to raise my levels. Also, I remembered how I lost Charmeleon, it was to a Wobbuffet. :( I wasn't able to run and I couldn't hit it hard enough to take it out in one hit and, well, we all know how Wobbuffet works...ugh.

My luck with critical hits is astounding. It's like a magnet or something. I can't even go through the game a little bit without the opponents getting multiple crits in a row in every area. The Snorlax fight alone in my Wonderlocke run almost killed my Tauros due to 3 critical Tackles in a row (thank god for Intimidate). If any of my other Pokemon got hit by that, there would be a good chance they would be dead.

Now, for the Wobbuffet, my luck knows no bounds. I found one going through Reflection Cave. Though, I was lucky enough put my Gloom out in first (which had Sleep Powder and Infestation). Anything else would've been a goner except for my Mightyena due to Howl and Bite.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back