• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • My own custom variation on the Nuzlocke

Hey everyone! I recently was watching some other poketubers and it got me really excited to try out pokemon with a bit of challenge! I got my idea from aDrive and his cagelock variation but i only have the ability and resources(friends who do this) to have a single player experience...
    So i got to work making a single player version that held true to the cagelock spirit (with permission from aDrive) also i am in no way promoting or affiliated with him lol

KnightLocke Rules:

1. Standard Nuzlocke Rule set

2. Dupe/Species Clause : Can not capture more than 1 of a pokemon/evolution of the pokemon. If you encounter a pokemon who have already count the next encounter as your first.

3. Battle Style is to be set to Set. (optional)

4. Pokemon may not be taught any Tm's or use Held Items.

5. There are 3 ranks Squire, Knight and King/Queen. Every pokemon caught starts as Squire. A pokemon who participates in a Gym leader match (takes down at least 1 of their Pokemon) may be promoted by 1 rank.

6. Only 1 Pokemon per Gym leader may be promoted. Note that a pokemon can not be promoted twice in a row. That promoted Pokemon may choose 1 of 3 rewards
    - The use of Tm's
    - The use of Held Items
    - To be swapped out with a pokemon in your pc.

7. Gift Pokemon may be used but count as your encounter in the area. Legendary Pokemon are forbidden.

Main reason im posting is i really want to hear your guys opinion on this :)

ps4star

WITH A ROLLING PIN!
    Years
  • Not sure if anyone else has posted this idea (I'm too lazy to read 200 pages of stuff >,<) but what about a nuzlocke challenge where you can only have 6 alive pokemon at any time, and they all must be in-party. If you catch an awesome pokemon and want to put it on your team, but have a full team, you'd need to kill a team member and put the caught pokemon in its spot.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Not sure if anyone else has posted this idea (I'm too lazy to read 200 pages of stuff >,<) but what about a nuzlocke challenge where you can only have 6 alive pokemon at any time, and they all must be in-party. If you catch an awesome pokemon and want to put it on your team, but have a full team, you'd need to kill a team member and put the caught pokemon in its spot.
    That's a pretty cool idea, but not one that would warrant it's own thread I think. It would make a good optional rule to the main Nuzlocke challenge, given that it doesn't break any of the standard rules.

Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2018
    I recently had an idea for a challenge about specific type combinations. Sadly, I don't have the time to participate in it, so I'm posting the idea here for anyone who might want to make an official topic about it. Also, any comments would be nice, too :)

Dual Type Challenge! [Gen II and later]

Rules:
    1) When signing up, you must choose one of these predefined type combinations, and you must follow the restrictions for your chosen pair:

Hell: As hell is demonic and fiery, the Hell types are Dark & Fire. Restriction: Since Hell is about hurting others, not helping, you may only heal at Pokecenters. That means you can't use any healing moves or potions.

Purgatory: As purgatory is, more or less, spirits on "Earth", the Purgatory types are Ghost & Grass. Restriction: Since purgatory is basically a place where souls are trapped, unable to escape, you must also be trapped. That means you cannot run from any wild encounters, and you must battle every trainer--no skipping!

Heaven:
    As heaven is paradisiac and "in the sky", the Heaven types are Fairy & Flying. Restriction: Heaven is about goodness and not harming, so you cannot use any One-Hit KO moves. In addition, if you accidentally OHKO an opponent in a trainer battle, the Pokemon that did this must be boxed until you get your next gym badge, as punishment.

Temple:
    A good monk knows he must balance both mind and body; as such, the Temple types are Psychic & Fighting. Restriction: A temple is a place of silent worship. That means you cannot use any sound-based moves. In addition, whenever your Pokemon is hit with a sound-based move, you must immediately switch out to a different Pokemon, and it can't be used for the rest of the battle. The only exception is if every Pokemon in your party is hit with a sound move in the same battle, then you can go back to using whoever you want until the next sound move hits. Bulbapedia has a list of 24 moves considered "sound moves"--that's the list you're using here.

Dojo:
    Martial arts is about balancing strength and grace, so the Dojo types are Steel & Water. Restriction: Martial arts is about self-defense, not hitting first. Therefore, your Pokemon may not use a damaging move until the opponent damages them first. They may use non-damaging moves, or you may use an item, or you may switch Pokemon, but you cannot damage an opponent who hasn't damaged that Pokemon first.

Summit:
    A mountain can be snowy at its peak, or a volcano in disguise, so the Summit types are Dragon & Ice (dragon=fire breathing...I know, it's a stretch). Restriction: At the top of a mountain, there's no salvation for temperature-based afflictions. That means you cannot heal a burned or frozen status ailment without a Pokecenter.

Archeology Dig:
    Many extinct species were giant bugs, but now all that remains are calcified fossils... Rock & Bug are the Archaeology Dig types. Restriction: Fossils are old. Like, very old. So your Pokemon may not use any moves that were introduced in a generation after that Pokemon first appeared. For example, you couldn't use Aerial Ace with a Pidgey, since Pidgey is Gen I and Aerial Ace is Gen III. You could, however, use Aerial Ace with Beautifly, since he came in Gen III as well.

Biomimetics Lab:
    Biomimetics is the use of technology to mimic natural organisms; as a result, such a lab combines both technology and nature. The types are Electric & Ground. Restrictions: Since biomimetics is all about imitation, in order to complete this challenge, you must use at least one of the following moves against the final battle of your game: Transform, Mirror Move, or Copycat. If you beat the game without using any of those moves against the final battle, you have failed the challenge.

2) The only Pokemon you may catch are normal-type Pokemon and those with at least one type in your chosen pair. For example, if you chose Heaven, you can catch a Clefairy, a Pidgey, or a Togepi, but you cannot catch a Natu (because of its Psychic typing).

2a) If playing in a generation before the existence of the Fairy type, Pokemon which attained the Fairy type later can only be caught if you're playing with Heaven chosen, and only if all the rest of its types match the Heaven pair as well (or are Normal).

3) Gift and static Pokemon may be in your party even if they don't match your typings, but they can only be used for grinding and never against a trainer. If you're allowed to choose from a set of gift Pokemon, including starters, and one matches your types, you must choose that one.

4) If you encounter a Pokemon that has both of your paired types, you must attempt to catch it. You cannot flee, and you cannot knowingly kill it. In addition, if you accidentally kill such a Pokemon, you must choose one Pokemon from your party and release it (or permanently box it, as per Nuzlocke standards). This is as a punishment for killing the embodiment of your types. (Note: most of the pairs above have very few evolutionary lines with both types. Just saying.)

5) If you have a Pokemon in your party with both typings, it must lead your party. If you have multiple of these, you may choose one to lead.

6) OPTIONAL: You may play with a randomized ROM if you think it'll help you encounter the correct types better/earlier, but if you do, you may only randomize the wild encounters, not anything else. (Randomizers typically have the options to specify this.)

Goal: To beat the game as fully as possible following the restrictions above. A super-goal would be to repeat this for each type pair.

Notes: You may also note that Poison is not one of the types. That's because it would have been left with a Poison/Normal pair, and that would make Normal unobtainable in the other pairs. Which, since it's literally normal, wouldn't be thematic (and plus, using Normal as a wildcard helps expand every pair's possible Pokemon). Sorry to the Poison lovers out there.

*EDIT* Added gameplay restrictions for each type pair, to add a layer of complexity to the challenge, as well as a bit of theme.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Psychic only run.

Hello! I came up with a challenge for ORAS. I call it the psychic challenge. All pokemon you catch MUST be part psychic if you want it on your team. Not including starters. You can keep your starter. This makes the champion extremely hard and keeps your options limited. You can trade pokemon online but again. You're not aloud to use it in battle.

That's about it! Any takers?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Hello! I came up with a challenge for ORAS. I call it the psychic challenge. All pokemon you catch MUST be part psychic if you want it on your team. Not including starters. You can keep your starter. This makes the champion extremely hard and keeps your options limited. You can trade pokemon online but again. You're not aloud to use it in battle.

That's about it! Any takers?

That sounds a lot like a psychic monotype. Is there anything about it that makes it different from a standard monotype challenge (using only Pokemon of one type for the entire game)?

Years
  • I'm gonna try again. It's called the single move challenge. you can only use 1 move on a pokemon until you reach 1 of 2 requirements. 1. you learn a new move. 2. you evolve.
    If you run out of PP for that move on that pokemon. he/she/it is considered useless until PP is restored.

now to clarify. you get 1 move per pokemon. choose the move to use. and only use that move until you learn another. Tms do not count. if you learn a TM move. you have to learn another move normally to be able to choose that move to use.....I feel like im being repetitive and confusing.

you fail the challenge if: you run out of pp for your chosen move on all pokemon in a trainer battle, for some reason you out all your chosen moves with TMs effectively making the pokemon useless.

If anything is confusing feel free to ask and i will try to clarify.

Years
  • I think I should post my idea. I already tested it, but unfortunatly I lost my black2, so I couldn't finish it...

Ok here is my own nuzlocke run. I call it PMD Nuzlocke, because most of my ideas are taken from the PMD-series.

PMD-Nuzlocke

The main idea is from the PMD-series. The rules irself are easy. There are 8 main rules. Ok, the first three one are the normal nuzlocke-rules.
    1. If a Pokemon is defeated it will be counted as dead,
    2. Encourters with shiny-pokemon are free from ever rule. But you can't use them for the game if they don't met the right requirements.
    3. You are not allowerd to catch legendary pokemon. Pokemon from trades and gifts are allowed.
    4. Every new area with wild (and catchable pokemon at the time of entering it) will be treated as a dungeon. In these areas you can't leave until your main goal (it can be "conquering"/walking through the area, go as far as you can or some kind of story-event). Also you have to defeat every trainer, if possible. After your goal is finished or you have left the area it will be counted as "conquered". But after you cleared it the first time you can enter it anytime again. But you have to fulfill a goal to leave it again.
    5. Inside a dungeon there are several conditions. First it is only allowed to heal your pokemon inside of a battle. Another condition is that you can't flee from a battle and you are not allowed to use fly to flee from the dungeon. But there are some ways to go through these clauses. (Look at the part "Items")
    6. The most PMD-like feature will be the recruitment-system in this nuzlocke. It's pretty simple. You can recruit 3 pokemon per dungeon. But if you want to recruit a pokemon you have to throw a dice (sometimes more than one time). And that everytime you encounter a pokemon inside of a dungeon and your number of caught pokemon there must be less than 3. If the number on the dice is right, you have to catch it. But the difficulty depends in the evolutionline of the pokemon. Evoloved pokemon for example are harder to get, thant basis pokemon. (For more infos, look at the "Recruitment-table")
    7. It's forbidden to evolve a pokemon. You have to use a certain "item" to evolve it. Your starter is a exception, it can evolve one time for free! (Look at the part "Items")
    8. You can add as many rules as you want. If you only want to used items you found, its ok. You also can decide if some areas with outside areas or similar things are counted as two areas (For example Pinwheel Forst).
    Items:
    There are several items you can use. These are not real ones, they are more some kind of number you are writing down. These items can help you in several aspects. Like fleeing from a fight or evolve a pokemon. But every of these pmd-items have their price. Like trading one of your pokemon for it or find a specific ingame item. That means you also can't use traded pokemon anymore. But you can trade pokemon for items whenever you want!

Item List:
    MDBag_Seed_Sprite.png
    Revive Seed - Can revive on of your defeated pokemon, must directly be used after the pokemon was defeated. - One after every gym.
    MDBag_Wonder_Orb_Sprite.png
    Evasion Orb - You can flee from one specific fight. - One after finding a pokeball-item ingame.
    MDBag_Wonder_Orb_Sprite.png
    Escape Orb - You can flee from a dungeon and go to the point of entering it. While you are "fleeing" you can't recruit or fight enemys. - Find things like Nuggets / Trade 3 Pokemon for it.
    MDBag_Cheri_Berry_Sprite.png
    Cheri Beery - You can heal one status condition outside of a battle. - One after finding a status-condition heal item.
    MDBag_Oran_Berry_Sprite.png
    Oran Berry - You can use one hp-filling item outside of a battle - One after finding a berry / Trade 1 Pokemon for it.
    MDBag_Apple_Sprite.png
    Apple - You can skip one dungeon. Except for those you need for story-events (for Example the Lake of Rage in Johto.) - Trade 1 Pokemon for it.
    MDBag_Mossy_Rock_Sprite.png
    Flying Stone - You can use "Fly" once outside of a battle. This is a upgraded version of the Escape Orb, due to the fact that you can fly to a healing point and don't have to go back to your entering point. - Trade 2 Pokemon for it,/ defeat a important story-boss (like team admins or something like that)
    MDBag_Rare_Fossil_Sprite.png
    Wish Stone - You can evolve a pokemon of your choice. It must be able to evolve. - Trade 5 Pokemon for it.

Recruitment-Table.
    Baby and basis - throw a "1" in one dice roll (~16%)
    Stage one - throw a "1" or "2" in two dice rolls. (~11%)
    No Evolution - throw a "1", "2" or "3" in the first roll and a "1" in the second (~8%)
    Stage two - throw a "1", "2" or "3" in the first roll and "1" or "2" in the second and third roll (~5%)
    --------

I hope you like this idea. For me it's pretty fun to use them this way.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2016
    What Nuzlocke should i do

I've never really tried challenges on Pokémon I've always watched then on YouTube can I have any suggestions on what challenge I should try and what Pokémon game I should try it on

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    Should I start a Drunklocke thread? Can you just start a thread for a challenge you've created? Must you okay it with a moderator?

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I'm surprised there isn't a Cagelocke thread on here. Is there a reason for that?
    I think we had one at some point, but really what it comes down to is whether someone makes the thread for it or not. There hasn't been anything specifically about the Cagelocke that has kept it off the forum. You're free to make a thread on it if you like, and I certainly encourage you to!

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    Yo, I actually have a solid concept for a ruleset that I'd like to introduce to this forum.

No one would be seriously off-put by a challenge revolving around the seven sins, right?

Last edited:

Dr_Ukato

He who fights for joy, Not glory.
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2017
    Let me tell you all the story of my first Pokémon X wedlocke.
    It started off good with Frank the Froakie quickly finding love in the form of Beatrice the Bunnelby.
    Soon after Peter the Pansear joined the team seeking to find a lover of his own.
    Alas it would not be as Peter fell victim to a Weedle's Poison Sting and was helpless as a Bunnelby savagely tore it's hitpoints to zero.
    After that it was up to Billy the Bidoof to find love in his place proceeding to travel to Route 4 with his comrades in tow.
    It was there he saw her! A female Farfetch'd with feathers in all the right places!
    He bravely faced her in combat hoping to prove himself a worthy partner to this missus!
    Alas he was swiftly torn to very smal pieces by a Fury Attack.
    It was then up to Frank and Beatrice to defeat this deadly vixen! The battle was long and epic...
    Until the f**cking Farfetch'd broke every single Pokéball I had and slaughtered both Frank and Beatrice ending my Wedlocke in less than an hour...

Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2023
    If you guys need ideas for challenges just watch a YouTuber named Marriland he does a bunch of challenges on his channel

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2016
    Nuzlocke Variation Idea (Blastocke)

Hello. I have an idea for a Nuzlocke variation and I'm not sure if it's actually good. I'd love to hear feedback as well as your ideas in the replies. This is designed more for X and Y but I can make an ORAS version as well. Anyway, here it is

1. Starter is chosen at random
    2. You must catch one Pokemon per route, you have multiple tries, and you must wonder trade it right after
    3. You can only go to each city once, except for Lumiose, and when the game requires it.
    4. Lumiose is the only Pokemon Center you can heal at, but you can go to the Pokemart and use the PC
    5. No Mystery Gift Pokemon
    6. No reloading the game
    7. Blacking out equals game over
    8. No trading except for Wonder Trade
    9. Even after catching the one Pokemon on the route you are on, you must fight any wild Pokemon you encounter, you can avoid trainer battles though, but it isn't suggested
    10. No mega evolving
    11. No TMs or HMs
    12. No Everstones
    13. No Pokemon variations, even the Premier ball. (Wonder trade is the only exception, as you can't control what ball the pokemon will be in.
    14. Legendaries aren't aloud. Sorry
    15. All Pokemon you have can faint twice, but when it faints a third time it is dead
    16. Dead Pokemon must be released and can't be stored in the PC to prevent the urge to cheat
    17. The only exception is your starter, if it faints, you can't use it until you beat the next gym, it can't die unless all your other pokemon die before you beat the next gym to "revive it" or all your pokemon are dead when your starter is killed
    18. Once you beat the Elite Four, the "Blastlocke" is what I'll call it, is over.

Thanks for reading and make sure to leave what you think in your replies.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • I'm gonna give my opinion one at a time. I'm not trying to sound rude, but that's just how my opinions sound. Criticism helps people learn.

1. Starter is chosen at random

This one is pretty alright. I don't have anything to say about this one.

2. You must catch one Pokemon per route, you have multiple tries, and you must wonder trade it right after

Although, this one just straight up primarily takes one of the main Nuzlocke rules and throws it out the window. You only get one chance at your first encounter in a nuzlocke. Fail to catch it and you get nothing for that route. That rule just allows you to get free encounters you shouldn't be having because you failed to get your first encounter.

3. You can only go to each city once, except for Lumiose, and when the game requires it.

4. Lumiose is the only Pokemon Center you can heal at, but you can go to the Pokemart and use the PC

This, alongside rule 4, just feels...bothersome. Why can you only use Lumiose's Pokemon Center? Why would I want to waste my time trekking all the way back to that city just to get my PP back? Rule 4 overall just feels unnecessary and is just there for artificial difficulty increasing.

11. No TMs or HMs

This one either requires clarity or removal entirely. Surf is required to beat the game. So what do you do? Teach the mon Surf, then when you don't need it, Fly to the move deleter and delete Surf, or fail your challenge instantly because you can't Surf? Scald is still a better move, anyway. As for no TMs, like with rule 4, it feels like an artificial difficulty spike through a handicap, and that should be an optional rule.

12. No Everstones

This one shouldn't even be here. Who uses Everstones in the first place except for breeding in Gen 6?

15. All Pokemon you have can faint twice, but when it faints a third time it is dead

This is another shining example of killing a main Nuzlocke rule. Any Pokemon that faints once is considered dead. By allowing this, you may as well just remove the nuzlocke variant concept overall because it's doubtful someone will get the same mon killed three times.

16. Dead Pokemon must be released and can't be stored in the PC to prevent the urge to cheat

This ties into the whole "Surf is required" thing. So what if all your Surf users are dead? Catch a slave or give up the locke? You should be allowed to permabox mons, because you're doubtfully going to use them aside from HMs when you have absolutely nothing you can use.

17. The only exception is your starter, if it faints, you can't use it until you beat the next gym, it can't die unless all your other pokemon die before you beat the next gym to "revive it" or all your pokemon are dead when your starter is killed

I'm not gonna beat a dead horse here. Please see my Rule 15 opinion.

One other thing. This isn't exactly the right section for a post like this. You'd get better reception from the Challenges section, more specifically, the Challenge Ideas and Discussions thread. I'll leave a link down below for you to take a gander at. Anyway, I hope you take a look and consider my opinions, and have a good day.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=220776

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back