• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Pokemon you love

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Sadly, some Pokemon are considered unpopular. Pokemon like Simisage, for example, being placed dead last in a Japanese Pokemon popularity poll.

What are some Pokemon you love that are considered unpopular?

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
    Years
  • Sadly, some Pokemon are considered unpopular. Pokemon like Simisage, for example, being placed dead last in a Japanese Pokemon popularity poll.

What are some Pokemon you love that are considered unpopular?

Some people love ratatta even though it's one of the thirty rubbish Pokémon

As well as loving graveler

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Entire gen 2 roster for sure and some of Gen 5.

Pokemon with low base stats generally or not as appealing designs.

Years
  • idk if you count Ludicolo as "unpopular" but I feel like it's certainly overlooked, and it's actually one of my favourite Water-type Pokemon out there!

I've also had a soft spot for Whiscash for some reason. Forgettable Pokemon by a lot of people probably, but ever since using one myself in third gen I couldn't help see how useful it was for my own party.

pkmin3033

I actually think the majority of object Pokemon are more creative than the ones that are based on living creatures...anyone can design a Pokemon based off an animal. ANYONE. I've seen Deviantartists create Pokemon that look more like Pokemon than ACTUAL Pokemon from Gen V onwards, in fact. It takes real creativity to design one based off an everyday object. As someone who frequently falls victim to misplacing my keys, I love that Pokemon actually came up with its own answer to "where the hell are my keys?"

Last edited:
    Years
  • I always though it's one of the most popular Pokémon from Kalos. I don't think I've seen anyone here who would hate it.

But aside from Klefki, it's most of the Gen II, V, VI and VII Pokémon, which I feel don't get enough credit. To be honest I really love designs from these gens more that let's say Gen I and IV. To pick a few: Audino and its Mega Form, Sunkern line, Ledyba line, Spritzee and Swirlix lines.

Also Nidoqueen > Nidoking.

pkmin3033

I always though it's one of the most popular Pokémon from Kalos. I don't think I've seen anyone here who would hate it.
    Huh, really? A lot of people I've encountered list it as one of their most hated...although from what I understand its rather useful, so from a battling standpoint it may have some popularity. From a design standpoint I've seen practically nothing but hatred for it though.

I feel like Spinarak/Ariados don't get enough love either. I was so excited to get one in Silver when I played through it for the first time, and even if it's not the most useful of Pokemon, it's still a great design. Especially the shiny one!

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • Raichu - it's the supperior form of Pikachu, and yet it's unpopural since Pikachu is "way cuter"
    Dunsparce - It's cry is cute, but i rather hear it in non generation 2 Eeveelutions (like Leafeons in pokemon gold christmas)
    Vaporeon - This pokemon gets a bad reputation from 1kids's (a)bridged dubs, i kinda like those cat/fennec/fishes, i even named one after my doggie and two (females) after LM characters

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2024
    Victreebel.

Since hard-hitting Grass-types are few and far between if Bulbasaur wasn't my Starter, I'm actually happy with how good Victreebel can be, provided that you let Weepinbell learn Razor Leaf first before using the Leaf Stone.

Vicious plants do catch my eye every now and then. The Bellsprout line is no exception.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Dunsparce, even though it's already established a fan-base of its own. Specifically Shiny Dunsparce. I chained one in Pearl that I used as my mascot for a long time. I found my first full-odds one in Virtual Console Gold not long ago that renewed my love for the squishy bee-snake.

I also love Lickitung (not so much Lickilicky). In fact, it was probably my original favorite. I remember getting a card of it at Burger King in 1999 and showing it off at school like it was the coolest thing. It even inspired me to write a short story, "Lickitung Steps On Its Tongue," for an elementary school assignment. I think its HGSS sprite is particularly adorable!

lickitung.png

Licky!

Mothim was one that I didn't stand out to me much at first, but getting into moth-watching and realizing how gorgeous its Shiny was made me fall in love. Now I even like Burmy, but I think that one has more to do with actual bagworms than the Pokémon. I ordered a Burmy plush shortly after seeing my first bagworm in action—such interesting creatures!

I also like Vanillite (my favorite BW Pokémon). Vanilluxe is fine, but Vanillite's a cutie! I'd happily use it on a semi-competitive Ice-Monotype team if it had gotten Snow Warning like Vanilluxe.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Stantler. I get that it looks kind of odd... but I love the design based on a reindeer.

Vanilluxe... I mean, I don't get why this gets hate, because you have to be super creative to see an ice cream cone and say, hey, that should be a pokemon!

Jynx... yeah, it looks like Nicki Minaj, but it's an ice type, and I will protect any ice type at all costs.

Years
  • The Litwick line. Also Pumpkaboo. There are a lot of Pokemon from B/W and also X/Y that don't get a lot of love.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Bellossom is one of my top favorites and i dont know many people who also love (i can think of one other person and thats it lol).

Raticate and bibarel too. Especially the latter after it became my mvp during my Y Nuzlocke.

Years
  • cryogonal. haven't used it during a unova run but i've heard people say its a good one. and it has good design too. throwing in some gen 2 pokemon here that i've almost forgotten exist. qwilfish and remoraid - octillery.

Years
  • All of them. If it's unpopular, then it must be brilliant. A touch of cynicism can take you far. Just invert society's preferences and you're at the doorstep of something great. Mind you, they can get often stuff right. Not always.

I bloody love 5th Gen's elemental monkeys, and every soul of Gen I. Jynx especially, and Mr Mime and all that lot. Gulpin is an inspiration. Raticate is sensational. Beartic is epic and Magmar has these strange seductive eyes that are hard to resist. Anything that is considered ugly and I adore it.

Years
  • A lot of people seem to find the Chespin line one of the worst out of all the starters (especially Quilladin), but I've always really liked them. Chespin's easily my favorite starter from Kalos, and would probably be in my top 5 favorite starter Pokemon overall.

Years
    • Seen today
    Incineroar - A lot of people wanted Litten's final evolution to stay on 4 feet, but I've actually loved this thing since the day it was leaked. The only bad thing about it is its low Speed.

Tangrowth - This thing is a good battler, with high attacking stats and physical defense. As the generations passed, it became even better, with it receiving Regenerator in Gen 5, and Gen 6 introducing the Assault Vest. Also, I think it's adorable.

Ferrothorn - Popular in competitive battling, but not outside of that, so I think it counts.

Magmortar - This Pokemon was the MVP of my Pokemon Yin Black playthrough. Besides, I like it more than Electivire.

Rhyperior - While Rhydon has a better design, Rhyperior makes up for it by being a good battler.

Cradily - I've used this thing in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and it pulled its weight.

Lanturn - This cute thing has 2 of my favourite types: Water and Electric. It's also a decent battler, with its good Special Defense.

Hitmontop - The cutest of the Hitmons.

Mr. Mime and Jynx - I actually don't think they're creepy.

Other not so popular Pokemon that I love include Venomoth, Exeggutor, Weezing, Omastar, Mantine, Miltank, Hariyama, Shedinja, Gorebyss, Gastrodon, Drifblim, Drapion, Seismitoad, Sigilyph, Vanilluxe, Eelektross, Florges, Clawitzer, Shiinotic, Turtonator, and Coalossal.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I honestly don't keep track of what's the consensus on the popularity of Pokémon. But I'll say this: I don't like any of the evolutions (and specially mega evolutions) of old Pokémon shoehorned generations later, which I assume are more popular than the originals. But I'll always prefer the originals:

Raichu > Alolan Raichu
    Magneton > Magnezone
    Exeggutor > Alolan Exeggutor
    Marowak > Alolan Marowak
    Lickitung > Lickilicky
    Rhydon > Rhyperior
    Tangela > Tangrowth
    Electabuzz > Electivire
    Magmar > Magmortar
    Porygon2 > Porygon-Z
    Togetic > Togekiss
    Aipom > Ambipom
    Yanma > Yanmega
    Murkrow > Honchkrow
    Misdreavous > Mismagius
    Gligar > Gliscor
    Sneasel > Weavile
    Piloswine > Mamoswine

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Also Nidoqueen > Nidoking.

A lot of people seem to find the Chespin line one of the worst out of all the starters (especially Quilladin), but I've always really liked them.

Cradily - I've used this thing in Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, and it pulled its weight.

Your choices are all valid and lovable and those are Pokémon that really deserve more love.

On my end, Fearow. I felt it pretty forgettable at first compared to Pidgeot/to and the Starly line, but writing a Fearow for an RP and studying their anatomy really made me start liking them and I really think they need that extra bit of screentime.

Back