• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Best anime dub you've ever watched?

Years
  • I don't watch dubbed anime that often, but I have been watching the English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX lately, and I will admit it, I like it! It's hilarious and the voices fit the characters. The dub has a genial sense of humor, and that's why I like it.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • The GX dub has seem pretty great moments, I haven't watched past season 1 but I've seen a playlist of clips on YouTube and man those got me laughing. An old friend of mine said that some dub lines sound like they're straight from a sitcom, and I kinda enjoy that kind of thing more than just watching a normal subbed anime sometimes.

For my pick, this scene is so silly and dumb and I couldn't pass up any opportunity to mention it in a thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZverZ4nMw&ab_channel=TheCuriousInferno

pkmin3033

Hellsing Ultimate, it ranges from fantastically authentic to outrageously ridiculous and I love it for it. Not many anime have Kari Wahlgren singing German opera in them, either!

Anything with Crispin Freeman and/or without Yuri Lowenthal in it is generally good though tbh.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Durarara for sure. It was very well done, and I love it. Also, the Bleach dub, too, is one of my favorites. It's just really good for the time it came out. Also, any dub with Johnny Yong Bosch in it? I'll watch that over the Japanese version in a heartbeat /bias.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Oh Yu Yu Hakusho, without a doubt. I don't think I've ever seen a dub take a script and make it so much more fun and also performed with such energy and gusto while still keeping the characters in-tact. Easily a gold standard for dubs for me.

Baccano! obviously comes close since I genuinely think it's one of the best dubs to grace the market and is probably also something I would consider a gold standard.

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • I haven't watched a whole lot of dubbed anime series really, but the one that does stand out above them all is Yu-Gi-Oh GX, it just feels like such a comedy. It did bless us with the GOAT The Chazz after all

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Durarara for sure. It was very well done, and I love it.

I can't believe I watched Durarara without knowing it has a dub ;-; I'll watch it in the near future.

About dubbed anime, I think FMA: Brotherhood, Hunter x Hunter, Violet Evergarden and Monster are really good. The voices for each character feel natural and doesn't feel forced.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    The Devil is a Part-Timer!

Probably the most fun I have had watching a show. It is also kind of necessary to watch the dub unless you like pausing. The characters talk over each other a lot.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Addendum: Attack on Titan has a really good dub. I don't know why, but I just couldn't watch the Japanese version for some reason, I found it not that great.

serene sejal

Flowing life
    Years
  • For me it's Violet Evergarden and HxH. I love both of them and I have watched Durarara and it's really good. God Eater too.
    My conclusion is I can't chose a specific one because there are many like FMA and many more.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    dragon ball z, yu yu hakusho, baccano. but if its anything old you def have to watch it in dub, for the nostalgia.

almost forgot steins gate, that was a weird one, the dub voices were so good they almost sounded like the sub characters just in english.

Until you hear the big guys japanese va. lol. Took some getting used to.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    Aside from obvious mentions like Cowboy Bebop, I really enjoyed Kaguya-sama Love Is War's dub. The rewrites stayed true to the original, while making it more humorous for western audiences. The narrator was practically his own character.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I liked the German dub of the first couple seasons of One Piece. Don't know about the later ones, though, as I switched to the manga at some point. I also liked the little of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX we got dubbed here, as well.

Years
  • English dub for InuYasha I liked a lot. Same with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Tenchi Muyo, and most older anime. I dunno about today's anime stuff.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've barely watched English dubs so I only have a few to mention but I agree that the dub for Yu Yu Hakusho was better than the sub. They really brought the characters to life. Other than that, I remember when I first started watching anime that the dub for Ouran High School Host Club felt very natural and well done. I've never watched it subbed but they did a good job.

I can't speak for the actual anime as I haven't watched it in dub yet but the bloopers for the Ace Attorney dub are a goldmine. I have never laughed so hard in my life, the dynamic of the cast in the bloopers is perfect. Bless the VA for Phoenix Wright. I might start watching it in dub just to appreciate the actual voice actors more.

Years
  • I've barely watched English dubs so I only have a few to mention but I agree that the dub for Yu Yu Hakusho was better than the sub. They really brought the characters to life. Other than that, I remember when I first started watching anime that the dub for Ouran High School Host Club felt very natural and well done. I've never watched it subbed but they did a good job.

I can't speak for the actual anime as I haven't watched it in dub yet but the bloopers for the Ace Attorney dub are a goldmine. I have never laughed so hard in my life, the dynamic of the cast in the bloopers is perfect. Bless the VA for Phoenix Wright. I might start watching it in dub just to appreciate the actual voice actors more.

YYH is one I forgot to add. I agree the dub for YYH is better than the sub. As far as Ouran I agree there too. Phoenix Wright and his Eng Dub VA is amazing.

Years
  • Shockingly I didn't include it in my previous post, but throwing my full support to the Mob Psycho 100 dub too. It's a really amazing, 100% flawless dub - pun intended. The voice cast and direction for each character was perfect and most were near identical to the original Japanese. The emotion in the voice acting was also very strong in this dub, which is a problem with a lot of other dubs imo. One of the few times I'd put an English dub and original Japanese dub on equal footing would be this series. A+ would watch again!

Back