• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Does Sword and Shield feel like SM 3.0 to you?

Years
UltraUltraSun/Moon if you will.
There are many similarities that just can't be denied.
Hop/Hau - Cheerful, happy-go-lucky rival who chooses the starter weak to you and literally moves the same.
Marnie/Lillie - Female kinda-companion, daughter of high class. At least Marnie will battle us.
Bede/Gladion - Tougher, edgier rival. Probably has something to do with Marnie.
Team Yell/Team Skull - Doofy "bad team" that aren't really bad, and get shadowed by what's really going on.
Oleana/Lusamine - Mommy type who will probably end up being Marnie's mom.

I am still excited for the games, but a lot is copypasta'd thus far character wise. I just hope it's more fleshed out than it seems. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
Ehhh, you have a point about Team Yell and Hop using the same animations as Hau, but otherwise I'm not so sure. We don't really know the personalities or roles of the characters, and if I had to guess I think Marnie is going to also be "edgy" and Gladion-esque to a degree. (I don't have the translation on hand, but some of her dialogue in the trailer supports this.) And Bede having a connection to Marnie and Oleana being Marnie's mom are just theories.

...I mean, I actually liked Sun & Moon a lot, so I wouldn't mind if this gen took some cues from it as long as it wasn't too blatant...

User Anon 1848

Lmao so they even recycled character animations? Never change Game Freak, though I doubt I'll have to tell them that.

Years
Not really! Reused animations and an energetic rival aren't anything new. Feels like its own gen to me, and that probably won't change.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2023
Am I looking at the same game as everyone else? This looks nothing like Alola, lol.

Similar animations for GF is nothing new and has been a thing for years now. Aside from that, the game is pretty different on it's own. From the stylization of the environments to the character designs.That and we should remind ourselves this is Ohmori, the same director for Su/Mo. Of course there's going to be some things that will come from his influence. Just like Masuda's pokemon games that he directed has parts of his influence as well. Pokemon does have a distinct style they've carried for Su/Mo and I think people are saying it looks similar because of that. But honestly, it's not a bad style. Pokemon shouldn't cross into the uncanny valley.

And honestly, if it does take some aspects of Su/Mo and improves them, is that really a bad thing? If anything I'd like them to learn a thing or two from Su/Mo.

Years
I'm not bashing the games, not by a long shot.
Just pointing out similarities that are VERY apparent.
You can ignore them if you'd like, but they are there.

Years
I mean, the guy who's in charge of SM is also in charge of SwSh, so of course don't be surprised if there's more than a few similarities. I don't think those similarities are a bad thing per se as long as they're improved upon. Nothing wrong with taking the good parts of SM and putting them in a different game, imo.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think that while there are some, there's two main things to consider:

- Pokemon games have always been 'samey' in many regards, from professor naming schemes to general gameplay progression structure.
- Some of the points in the OP are imo just assumptions. We barely know anything about the two new rivals, for instance; it comes down to a short paragraph and their appearance/one having a fan group. Hard to say that they're expys of Lillie and Gladion as a result.

Time will tell with the latter.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
not really. i didn't even put any similarities like this together until seeing this thread, aside from team skull and team yell. their designs are reminiscent of on another in some regards (mostly like the whole rowdiness of the two teams) but they seem like they're be completely different in concept. a group of misfits that made a found family vs. a super fan group.

bede reminds me more of hugh from bw2 than gladion, but that's probably bc of the pose and the hair. none of the other similarities are really hittin it for me. shrug.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Yes. I fear that the story of the game would just be Sun & Moon's story but with more sports related elements.

Years
Just wait for like one year or more, they are going to release Sharp Sword and Strong Shield version with better qualities, maybe in this release, they are going to add national dex,

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Just wait for like one year or more, they are going to release Sharp Sword and Strong Shield version with better qualities, maybe in this release, they are going to add national dex,

I think that it would be a very scummy move to put the National Dex in the 3rd version.

Years
This is an insult to Sun/Moon. For one, Sword and Shield have cardboard cutout characters and the story is trash. As far as the rivals go yeah it's pretty similar with Hau and Hop but that's really it. The game is an X and Y clone if anything.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
It doesn't feel that way to me. It feels like an even more basic version of X/Y though. It's a standard Pokemon game, and it reminds me of X/Y because of the lack of side stuff to do, outside of the wild area. The towns are better though.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 22, 2023
Well, i told you so. There it is, the Expansion Pass. This kind of business practice is already plague-ing the entire gaming community that people generally see this as normal and acceptable.
You don't have to buy the DLC to get the Pokemon. You can have someone trade the Pokemon to you.

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
Years
It didn't even cross my mind that they were similar at all. I did not find US/UM as tedious to play through as this SwSh but, I did find Hop on nearly an equal tier of annoying as Hau; his saving grace being he wears a fur trimmed jacket.

Years
There are so many similarities that either they really want to keep the sun and moon structure (for some reason) or they are doing some extreme big reference to Ahloa remakes. Or its just all a huge conedince.

Back