• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Left-handed or Right-handed?

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
  • I'm right handed, like the majority of people.

My dad's lefthanded. Except for writing. That's because writing with your left hand was forbidden back when he was a kid and he had to learn to write with his right hand. He said that at school they even tied his left arm to his chair so that he couldn't use it to write.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Ol' boring rightie here. The left hand only does well in the WASD keys and on a guitar's fretboard.

Years
  • I'm right handed and for most activities my left is borderline useless. There are some things I can do quite proficiently with my left though. Nobody in my family is left handed at all, although my sister is slightly ambidextrous.

As a side note, considering that such a small percentage of the population are left dominant, I have met a surprising number of left-handed people. Does anyone know why dominant hands are even a thing? It seems like it wouldn't be of any help at all in evolutionary terms.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Definitelyyyy left handed.

The only struggle I've faced with being a left hander is having to switch every computer game controls from WASD to the arrow keys. Which you would think would be the opposite, considering I'd use my left hand for it. So I have no idea if that has anything to do with being left handed, but, ya.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Right-handed, though, would definitely like to be able to use both hands well. Too lazy to train, though.

Well, I suppose, I tend to wear my watch on the right arm, which is something right-handed people don't usually do.

Sirfetch’d

I am very much right handed. I used to try and write + do things with my left hand and it was just always so awful 8( Being right handed is so boring smh

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Apart from right-handers, left-handers & ambidextrous people, there's also another one called "cross dominance" or "mixed-handedness", for example if you write with your right hand, but throw with your left one or stuff like that.

So most people who think they're ambidextrous, are actually cross-dominant, coz ambidextrous is a more compact term, as in it only refers to people who can use both hands (almost) equally well, like being able to write with both hands, play sports with both hands etc. which is more than just rare. Only about 1% of the World's population is naturally ambidextrous.

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • Apart from right-handers, left-handers & ambidextrous people, there's also another one called "cross dominance" or "mixed-handedness", for example if you write with your right hand, but throw with your left one or stuff like that.

So most people who think they're ambidextrous, are actually cross-dominant, coz ambidextrous is a more compact term, as in it only refers to people who can use both hands (almost) equally well, like being able to write with both hands, play sports with both hands etc. which is more than just rare. Only about 1% of the World's population is naturally ambidextrous.

Wow that was deep. I used to think I am ambidexterous, but I suppose mixed handedness is a better word to describe me, teh example you put there fits me perfectly, I do write with my rigth hand & throw with my left, but can't do it the way round.

Its kewl to see so many left handed peopel here xDD

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • I'm left-handed. I do everything with my left hand except brush my teeth. Everyone in my immediate family except my dad is left-handed.

Most writing utensils are out of the question for me because of how much the ink smudges. Speaking of handwriting, my writing sucks because I was never told how to grip a pen properly in primary school; I had to appropriate how everyone else was being taught, which never really worked out. When we got slope cards to practice sloping our handwriting in Year 5, I got a right-handed slope card as there were none available for me. To this day, my writing is perpendicular to the ruled lines of booklets and books because I refused to use the card. Tough life.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'm also right-handed, though I do wish I had the patience to train my left hand to be less terrible in terms of every-day tasks.

NightKrow

staying up all night
    Years
  • I'm mainly right handed, but I always use a knife and fork like a leftie would. I also noticed I was the only person at my workplace who would pick up the phone with my right hand and operate the touchscreen computer with my left. I guess that makes me one of these mixed handedness people.

Years
  • I'm completely right handed, but I eat my food with a knife and fork as a left-handed person would which is odd. I find it strange how humans are so intelligent but we can only use one of our hands and feet properly...

Years
  • I am so right hand dominant. I can barely use my left hand for anything, it's hard to even lift a fork with it because I'm just not used to using it lol. Brother is the only one in my family that I know of who is left handed.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Its kewl to see so many left handed peopel here xDD
    You know after you said that, we've had only one left-handed person, one who's mixed-handed & 8 right-handed people replying {XD}.

I'm left-handed. I do everything with my left hand except brush my teeth. Everyone in my immediate family except my dad is left-handed.

Most writing utensils are out of the question for me because of how much the ink smudges. Speaking of handwriting, my writing sucks because I was never told how to grip a pen properly in primary school; I had to appropriate how everyone else was being taught, which never really worked out. When we got slope cards to practice sloping our handwriting in Year 5, I got a right-handed slope card as there were none available for me. To this day, my writing is perpendicular to the ruled lines of booklets and books because I refused to use the card. Tough life.
    Being left-handed, I can totally relate to that.

Even everyday use items like scissors, bottle-openers, kitchen implements etc are designed for efficient use by right-handed people.

Back