• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your most physically painful experience

Years
  • What was your most physically painful experience? If it's too gory to confide then don't, or at least dilute it.

But if this thread is a violation for whatever reason, sorry. Grovel grovel. Grovel grovel.

Years
  • The year I turned fourteen I broke my foot and did such severe soft tissue damage that I couldn't walk for over two months. However the school nurse decided I was fine and had me walk around on that foot all day even though I couldn't put any weight on it without experiencing mindnumbing amounts of pain.

More recently I experienced digestive pains so severe I pretty much could not move or sit up for a week. I spent less than hour total out of bed that week and never got up if I could avoid it.

Years
    • Seen today
    Breaking my arm. Part of the reason is because I didn't get it checked until the next day.

Then there was the 6+ hour long hospital wait. Any slight movement of my arm was excruciatingly painful.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I had severe chest pain to the point I ended up in hospital early last year. It stabilized in the end but one of the worst moments of my life, by far.

pkmin3033

My second wisdom tooth going bad, when I was...25, I think it was? My mid-20s, anyway. Those years kinda blend together and except for one they all kinda decided to fuck with me one after the other, so it's hard to remember exactly when.

But for the second one I couldn't eat or drink anything without agonising pain in my entire mouth, I couldn't sleep for longer than an hour at a time and I think that was because I just passed out from sheer exhaustion, and it radiated across my entire head without warning, giving me crippling migraines. Taking the maximum dosage of ibuprofen that I could gave me about 2 hours relief at best, and paracetomol had absolutely no effect whatsoever.

I had to endure that for nearly a week. It developed when I was on holiday, and I had to wait a couple of days to see the dentist to get the little bastard out when I got home. Instant relief when it was extracted, though. There wasn't even that much bleeding, because during that time it had gotten infected so it came out with practically no resistance...unlike the first one, which just came out wrong and put up a horrific fight. Ironic that of the three I've had taken out, despite being the worst one pain-wise, it was the fastest and least painful to have taken out.

Wisdom teeth are the worst. If yours haven't come through yet, beware. Make sure you have a good dentist.

Years
  • I would say most physical painful experience for me was when I twisted my knee and it took two weeks for my knee to recover.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    when i got into a car crash. got out mostly okay other than my legs were pretty bruised. couldn't stand or anything the next day. now i have issues with my left knee because of the crash but i haven't been able to get it checked out by a doctor yet.

other than that i've been pretty lucky knock on wood ( though w o w knee acting up right when i'm typing this i see how it is )

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I've only had wimpy injuries. The most painful I've had was either burning my leg against hot metal or ripping open my chin as a kid when I was running like a moron and rammed my face into a sharp table corner.

I also almost injured my neck from running into a couch as a kid, could have paralyzed myself for life. I'm not a smart person really.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Look what I've got to compete with! God, mine is going to sound fucking inadequate now.

... but my most painful experience was having my thumb kicked. Before you roll your eyes in jaded contempt, let me get this straight - it was a small thumb, a large foot, and a whole lot of strength involved that fingers weren't made to accommodate. An accident, of course. It was a stray kick and my thumb just happened to be in its trajectory. And then... CRACK.

The more it hurts, the more I laugh. I was cackling and crying at the same time. It was mindblowing, though: I was familiar with the concept of pain but not the reality of it, and the truth had me reeling. There was probably a fracture or something, and nowadays gaming and thumb-wars are no easy feats. Certainly not painless. Occasionally I get a searing twinge but it doesn't approach the full extent of yesteryear's horror.

Compared to herniations, broken feet and falling down stairs, it sounds fairly god damn prissy. Well, there was that time I injured my lower back, but it wasn't sheer agony - more like a hideous, unremitting undercurrent of hurt. It was a Paracetamol party that day, I can tell you.

Years
  • I'm gonna say surfing the crimson wave is the worst for me. I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned the joys of the pez. The faint-hearted may simply wish to google the terms dysmenorrhea and endometriosis, rather than read this sign post any further to enter the bloody manor I live in. I have undergone surgery and experienced broken bones, but still would not change my answer. Every time I see that red dot I admit defeat. I just wanna cry. Tyrion Lannister perfectly sums up the feeling, "When you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth."

The pain is legit. If you think it feels something like a stomache then you are gravely mistaken. I was quickly prescribed lightweight narcotics by a doctor to deal with severity. I laugh at over the counter meds. What is this midol, pamprin, advil, tylenol? Give me codeine! I have to be so numb and in a total dreamy stupor to survive the first 2 days and the pms. The best way I can describe it is like having your insides slowly scraped with a sharp object for hours every month as you are gradually stretched apart by the limbs. A hot throbbing sensation coupled with a the feeling of stacatto, sharp contractions as you go into labor. Not to mention all the other fun surprises like migraines, weight gain, swelling, back aches, leg pain, sweating and chills, nausea, vomitting. I have a week of this to look forward to coming up.

Top this if you can. Cuts and bones heal soon enough. This is chronic. It may be another 15 or 20 years before I'm done with this.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm gonna say surfing the crimson wave is the worst for me. I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned the joys of the pez. The faint-hearted may simply wish to google the terms dysmenorrhea and endometriosis, rather than read this sign post any further to enter the bloody manor I live in. I have undergone surgery and experienced broken bones, but still would not change my answer from the rag.

The pain is legit, mind and I was actually prescribed lightweight narcotics by one doc to deal with severity. I laugh at over the counter meds. What is this midol, pamprin, advil, tylenol? Give me codeine! I have to be numb and in a dreamy stupor to survive the first 2 days and the pms. The best way I can describe it is like having your insides slowly scraped with a sharp object for hours every month as you are gradually stretched apart by the limbs. A hot throbbing sensation coupled with a the feeling of stacatto, sharp, sharp contractions. Not to mention all the other fun surprises like migraines, weight gain, swelling, back aches, leg pain, sweating and chills, nausea, vomitting. I have week of this to look forward too coming up.

Try and top that. Unless you have been torturted by Ramsay Bolton I win this round I think.

Spoiler:

... but I've actually heard of that, and it reinforces my belief that evolution was in a foul mood when it shaped out the female biology.

Don't worry - when I get a few certificates under my hat, I'll reshape female biology and do away with all of that pointless suffering. Make 'em buff, too. It's not a personal physical preference but it would be neat, wouldn't it.

Years
  • Spoiler:

... but I've actually heard of that, and it reinforces my belief that evolution was in a foul mood when it shaped out the female biology.

Don't worry - when I get a few certificates under my hat, I'll reshape female biology and do away with all of that pointless suffering. Make 'em buff, too. It's not a personal physical preference but it would be neat, wouldn't it.

*throws arms around you* You're my hero!

Years
  • In middle school these girls invited me over to one of their houses and threw boiling water all over me
    I'm scarred in the face from it.

Years
  • *throws arms around you* You're my hero!

*swells out chest*
    Did I mention that one time where I put someone out of fire? 'Cause I did. And you might have read about that rescue mission a few years ago - where a fearless, resourceful genius rescued a spider from a toilet-y death. Shirtless. Yeah, that was me too.

In middle school these girls invited me over to one of their houses and threw boiling water all over me
    I'm scarred in the face from it.

I sincerely hope they were prosecuted. Even without courts, a higher judgement is reserved for people like that. One hears so many horror stories about youths and their exploits, and I have no fucking idea where the blame is supposed to go. Not that blame ever fixed anything.

Probably means bugger all from a ghost on the screen, but I hope you're okay.

Kai

Wayfarer
    Years
  • The pain is legit. If you think it feels something like a stomachache then you are gravely mistaken. I was quickly prescribed lightweight narcotics by a doctor to deal with severity. I laugh at over the counter meds.

Decreased stress, reduced salt intake, daily exercise, healthy food, sleep, and heat sources such as a tolerably hot bath or heat pad should help reduce the pain.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    A tie between breaking my elbow on the playground and having a father that didn't believe it was broken and forced me to play some rugby, or breaking my ankle during a rugby tournament on sports day due to a hole in the field the groundskeeper evidently didn't see a need to fill.

I do not play rugby anymore.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • good question

i'm pretty sure that.. it was when i got bit by a dog, probably. i had to get stitches because some muscle was showing. after that i am extremely wary of big dogs, so..that's fun.

i have scarring from it but that's mostly my fault for reasons i won't disclose.

Years
  • I sincerely hope they were prosecuted. Even without courts, a higher judgement is reserved for people like that. One hears so many horror stories about youths and their exploits, and I have no fucking idea where the blame is supposed to go. Not that blame ever fixed anything.

Probably means bugger all from a ghost on the screen, but I hope you're okay.

I don't think they did? I was in the hospital but they didn't seem effected at all when I got out.
    I grew up in a small town and was misdiagnosed with a conduct disorder when I really had Autism, so no one really liked me. I don't imagine it really bothered anyone outside of my immediate family. They probably thought I'd provoked it, but I didn't.

EDIT: It also wasn't the first or last assault against me, in which adults turned their heads. The adults themselves spread rumors about me so...

Last edited:
    Back