• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your "tools of trade"?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I think those are the right words. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll fix it. :3

Anyway, what are your basic writing essentials?

Mine are my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, seeing how I use my iPad to write. It helps a lot when I'm on the go since I tend to get into the writing mood wherever I am. I also have this small notebook that I've been trying to use to jot down ideas. Of course, I also count my iPod because music helps me focus on my writing and all that~ Can't think of anything else right off hand.

So, how about y'all? <3

budube

Hi I'm Cube
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 10, 2024
Same as above. I usually write with music but that really depends on my mood since I also tend to be distracted easily

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
My desktop and Scrivener are preferred, but if I'm lying in bed, I'll my phone and Google Docs. I very rarely ever write with pen and paper anymore, but I used to do that sometimes. I'd carry around a notebook or some folded printer paper if I was really desperate :P

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
keep notes
a million google docs 'cause they struggle to load more than 15k words
too many folders in an attempt at organizing

& when i dont have a phone it's Literally Any paper + writing utensil. crayons and cardboard if i aint got anything, i Don't Care as long as the ideas get down

i do actually like hand-writing things, especially stuff that i need to picture/organize. lot of arrows and rewriting and getting things in order; it's easier for me to do on paper than typed.

Bay

Years
Lately Google Docs for both writing and notes. I used to use Evernote, but now these days I use that to save research stuff.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
Years
google docs i use the most in terms of writing programs, but i also will use microsoft word or openoffice. if i'm really lazy, i'll sometimes use the notes app on my phone lol. i will also listen to music and stuff too while i write sometimes. another site i use is toyhou.se to store my characters and like. keep a list of their basic descriptions, personality, etc. just for reference.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
keep notes
a million google docs 'cause they struggle to load more than 15k words
too many folders in an attempt at organizing

& when i dont have a phone it's Literally Any paper + writing utensil. crayons and cardboard if i aint got anything, i Don't Care as long as the ideas get down

i do actually like hand-writing things, especially stuff that i need to picture/organize. lot of arrows and rewriting and getting things in order; it's easier for me to do on paper than typed.

this is about what i expected from you
<33

When I write, I do it preferably on a specially designed mechanical keyboard where I chose the switches because they were light yet not easy to press by mistake. They have a distinct click and tactile bump and a lovely sound. To type on them really makes typing more soothing and fun! I ensure that my screen is lit quite low also, compared to when I play games, as I don't want my eyes to be strained; I always type with dark text on bright background.

Occasionally I sit like a potato in my couch and type on my old laptop, but the keyboard is naturally not at all as comfortable (I actually type this on it right now haha). Some days, couch writing just is more comfy in other ways, like I can have nice music and a calm video on in the backgroudn on my TV, and a cat next to me on the couch etc.

It's been a long time since I wrote with pencil and paper. But I really used to only do that, in my teens. Typing creative texts on a computer was almost unthinkable, as it didn't feel at all as satisfying. i think I only started doing that when I started RPing here on PC :) It was satisfying in a different way to see your finished RP post in the thread! Not quite sure it beats flipping through your written physical papers but... Still nice ;)

count the typos in this posts due to laptop keyboard, rip

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
My desktop and Scrivener are preferred, but if I'm lying in bed, I'll my phone and Google Docs. I very rarely ever write with pen and paper anymore, but I used to do that sometimes. I'd carry around a notebook or some folded printer paper if I was really desperate :P

I use Scrivener as well... but on my iPad. I also don't write the "traditional" way because it puts stress on my wrist. I do try to carry a small notebook around with me for any ideas I might get! btw, I love your theme CiCi! Purple is best color imo. <3

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
Years
I typically write on my phone. I haven't written anything on paper in ages. I just find it easier to write on my phone as I'm faster at typing than writing. Plus when I'm writing a lot my handwriting can be a little... hard to read.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen yesterday
I typically write on my phone. I haven't written anything on paper in ages. I just find it easier to write on my phone as I'm faster at typing than writing. Plus when I'm writing a lot my handwriting can be a little... hard to read.
That's impressive. Touch screen finger typing? Do you type up fiction in that way?

WizardOfOdd

Kirbmeister
Years
Usually, I use my laptop where I use google docs to do everything, although I recently use Trello to keep track of the finer details. Used to write on my phone too, but after my last phone got crushed when it fell down from my jacket pocket, the replacement doesn't felt as responsive during the writing process so it's purely laptop right now.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 10, 2020
I think those are the right words. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll fix it. :3

Anyway, what are your basic writing essentials?

I use an iPad as well. In fact, I sometimes use Google keyboard, which allows you to swipe write, and this actually makes typing like around 300% faster. :)

'Tools of the trade' may also mean your writing techniques. Some that come off the top of my head, is when I write out the plan, I use the full plethora of formatting: italics, bold, underline, strike-through, red colour, purple, to communicate to myself what kind of information is this, or the quality of it. I also seperate my Plan into five or eight Blocks, so everything I need from say chapter 1-3 would be in Block 1, and I wouldn't have to read through the rest of the 63 page plan. As you can tell, the tools writers have can vary a lot depending on what they're writing, lol.

Years
I use my HP chromebook for writing because I just like how it feels while typing. I do use my big PC sometimes, but my chromebook is definitely my go-to because of how typing feels on it. I have small hands and thin fingers. I like to use google docs for personal things but when I publish things I tend to veer toward Quotev and Wattpad.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I really like using wordcounter.net - not just for word count, it lets you know how often certain words are used. Then if I've used a particular word too many times, thesaurus.com is always open so I can swap it out and make the vocabulary a little wider :) also a big fan of Google Docs - the auto save is an absolute life saver!

Years
I really like using wordcounter.net - not just for word count, it lets you know how often certain words are used. Then if I've used a particular word too many times, thesaurus.com is always open so I can swap it out and make the vocabulary a little wider :) also a big fan of Google Docs - the auto save is an absolute life saver!

It's a great resource that one.

Back