• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction or original?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Do you most often find yourself writing (or making roleplays from) original fiction, or fanfiction?

Also, do you most often find yourself reading fanfiction or original works? Published fiction (like books!) are included in the latter option.

Bay

Years
  • Fanfiction to both. I do have a few original story ideas, but for now I'm content making stories based off from other media as I have the world and characters for me already. I've been trying to get back to reading books though, the last ones were the Crazy Rich Asians series. I thought up of a few more books/series I want to get into.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I do Fan Fiction and I'd say 99% of the time it takes place in the wrestling world. I've thrown my pen in once or twice trying to write a Pokemon fic waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the day.

Years
  • fanfiction! I love writing existing stuff. mostly because I'm not the most creative with thinking up brand new things, and I like to challenge myself to write existing characters and see how well I can keep them in character :D

Years
  • Fanfiction, mainly. I do write fanfics most of the time, and have written a few Pokemon stories as well as some for other series.
    I have however, had this original story brewing in my head for quite a while, but I haven't been able to translate it to paper quite yet...

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I honestly prefer writing fanworks haha. I've both read and written more fanfiction in the last decade than original fiction... I wonder what that says about me?

I'm also mostly doing pokémon RPing but a really fleshed out, living world and solid plot in an original setting can be amazing. It's usually harder to make though.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • For an honest answer, I've only dabbled in what I would consider fanfiction, though works I have ideas for and are building upwards cross both answers.

As for preference, I'd probably say I prefer to write originals, even if I haven't actually written one yet.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • ISO Standard commentary to the effect that there's not really much difference between "original" and "fanfiction" except who has lawyers to support their case. Just look at Disney.

That said, I mostly read into "alternate history AU" be it fanfiction or original (though under the above constraints is that a genre where anything can actually be said to be "original"?). For writing, well, I'm here no?

Years
  • For an honest answer, I've only dabbled in what I would consider fanfiction, though works I have ideas for and are building upwards cross both answers.

As for preference, I'd probably say I prefer to write originals, even if I haven't actually written one yet.

What I find interesting about Shattered Crests, is that, even though all your characters are Pokemon, everything else in your story and lore is so far removed from established elements of the franchise that it's hard to really call it a Pokemon story. You could easily tell much the same story with totally different creatures populating your world, or even humans if you wanted.

LadyLurantis940

The Bug-type Impostor
    Years
  • Good point, gimmepie. When I create a Pokémon story, I essentially take a region (let's say Galar) and replace every gym leader with a new gym and concept, destroy most of not all canon characters, possibly twist things for an AU, et cetera, et cetera.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2020
    I love writing and reading fanfiction more, it inspires me more. But I love the original works too, even though the fanfiction is special. I am just writing a paper on the origins of the culture of writing fanfics with https://edubirdie.com/college-papers-for-sale and it is very interesting to look at different opinions on this topic. Still, the culture of writing fanfiction became huge in a decade.

Last edited:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I used to write fanfiction, but it wasn't my thing... so I started writing original fiction. I feel like my mind is much more creative than I was with fanfiction. I love coming up with more original ideas and such, especially since many of my stories include an MC who is autistic. It's sort of hard to explain well enough... but yeah.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Original fiction for both. For me, more often than not writing fan fiction is exhausting and more of a hassle than writing an original concept. I feel like regardless of if I'm stripping the world of the majority of the things or throwing down bombs to reset the status quo, a pre-established world continues to maintain a certain level of inviolability. It binds me to a certain mindset that I find myself unable to escape from, and in the end the whole experience just becomes unpleasant. This is also partly the reason that it's hard for me to read fan fiction as much as I might want to - which is why if I am reading, it's typically original publications.

Back