• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Items you wish were sold at Pokemarts

Years
  • Let's hear your opinions and takes on this!

I'll start us off by saying that I really really really want PP restoration items sold in marts (I don't know if that's a thing with the newer games though, I only played up til Gen 5), and I don't get what stopped GF from making it so. If there's a valid reason then I guess I just haven't researched it enough. Would allow them to make more expansive dungeons and not have to worry about the players running out of PP everytime, especially if there's no spots to heal anywhere.

Not only that, but I kinda wish stuff like the Max Revive and Rare Candy were sold as well. I know it's gonna be stomp city if someone can just farm Rare Candies by buying them in bulk from all the Trainer money, but it's as simple as adjusting how much you earn per battle, making the Amulet Coin hard to acquire, and setting the prices for these items fairly high. Would be good for those folks who're just not into having to search every nook and cranny on routes to find hidden items, no? And yes I know that the Revival Herb exists and works exactly like the Max Revive, but I just don't like it lowering friendship... especially since I like Return.

Kanto_Pok%C3%A9_Mart_GSC.png
    Pok%C3%A9_Mart_FRLG.png
    Pok%C3%A9Mart_HGSS.png

Years
  • I wish that all evolution items were sold at Poké Marts. Having to evolve my Pokémon really late because the evolution item is found late in the game is tedious.

Years
  • all special pokeballs, including apricorn balls. they are so tedious to get otherwise. I know that's the point, but I'd love to at least get them in shops somehow, even if they're ridiculously expensive.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I'll start us off by saying that I really really really want PP restoration items sold in marts (I don't know if that's a thing with the newer games though, I only played up til Gen 5), and I don't get what stopped GF from making it so. If there's a valid reason then I guess I just haven't researched it enough. Would allow them to make more expansive dungeons and not have to worry about the players running out of PP everytime, especially if there's no spots to heal anywhere.

Not only that, but I kinda wish stuff like the Max Revive and Rare Candy were sold as well. I know it's gonna be stomp city if someone can just farm Rare Candies by buying them in bulk from all the Trainer money, but it's as simple as adjusting how much you earn per battle, making the Amulet Coin hard to acquire, and setting the prices for these items fairly high. Would be good for those folks who're just not into having to search every nook and cranny on routes to find hidden items, no? And yes I know that the Revival Herb exists and works exactly like the Max Revive, but I just don't like it lowering friendship... especially since I like Return.

Most games work in terms of sugar - the game leads you to do something - and vinegar - the game leads you away from something.

Not having PP restores is a subtle vinegar - PP is part of how moves are balanced; generally speaking stronger moves will have lower PP and, if strong enough, drawbacks like low accuracy or needing to recharge to prevent people from just spamming them in harder dungeons. They're a resource just like HP and other items, and so, by having few PP restores and not wanting to go back and heal everywhere, you're lead to use other strategies besides "spam Blizzard / Hyper Beam / whatever".

You can farm them via Leppa Berries, but that's another vinegar - spend real life time doing the farming to get the items.

Same thing about Max Revive and Rare Candies, even the Revival Herb has a vinegar in friendship. The game doesn't want you to get Max Revives without any consequences, and you don't want those consequences, so you'd rather use the more expensive combination of Revive and a Full Restore, or if you're in battle, you'll wonder if you really want to use that complete get out of jail card, or if you can leave yourself to attacks before healing the other turn.

These things aren't bugs - they're features. Especially since no other trainer will ever use Revives or PP restoring items (except maybe a Leppa Berry).

I think the only way these could ever be placed in marts and balanced for a playthrough is in a hypothetical challenge mode in which trainers can use these items. This way it feels less like a massive advantage to trainers and the rare candies would be necessary for making some Pokémon viable if you want to have a certain rotation.

I do agree that evolution items - a la Reaper Cloth, Magmarizer and so on - as well as the novelty Pokéballs could be buyable. I know in Gen VIII the bargain shop in Stow-on-side sells the former, although it's a rotating non-deterministic stock, which is ... less than ideal.

Maybe a bazaar place where some days of the week different people will show up to sell their stuff? So we could have a Pokémaniac selling evolution items in say, Wednesdays and every Saturday a Johtonian will show up selling the Pokéballs they got from their relative in Azalea. I don't know.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Definitely Elixirs. I honestly don't know why you can't at least buy Elixiris in Pokemarts? Maybe PP ups, too, but only in maybe the late game Pokemarts. I've always kinda disliked that you can only really get Elixirs by finding them i nthe over world.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • evolution items, especially stones. it feels like a huge step back that we could buy them in gen 1 but not in later games. i also agree with apriballs. i don't mind waiting on kurt to make them in hgss since the process is sped up, but in games without kurt, like. you May get one of those balls and that just doesn't cut it for me lol. please let me buy them i will pay out the ass for them gamefreak.......

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Pp resoration items. That is all. Immediately came to my mind when I saw the title, didn't need to see the other posts.

Allen303

A warrior who has lost his ability to fight, is on
    Years
  • I wish that in mart shopkeepers sold tons & tons of rare candies this will make my life easier im pokemon games (lol cheater!)😜😄✌😝

Years
  • Most games work in terms of sugar - the game leads you to do something - and vinegar - the game leads you away from something.

Not having PP restores is a subtle vinegar - PP is part of how moves are balanced; generally speaking stronger moves will have lower PP and, if strong enough, drawbacks like low accuracy or needing to recharge to prevent people from just spamming them in harder dungeons. They're a resource just like HP and other items, and so, by having few PP restores and not wanting to go back and heal everywhere, you're lead to use other strategies besides "spam Blizzard / Hyper Beam / whatever".

You can farm them via Leppa Berries, but that's another vinegar - spend real life time doing the farming to get the items.

Same thing about Max Revive and Rare Candies, even the Revival Herb has a vinegar in friendship. The game doesn't want you to get Max Revives without any consequences, and you don't want those consequences, so you'd rather use the more expensive combination of Revive and a Full Restore, or if you're in battle, you'll wonder if you really want to use that complete get out of jail card, or if you can leave yourself to attacks before healing the other turn.

These things aren't bugs - they're features. Especially since no other trainer will ever use Revives or PP restoring items (except maybe a Leppa Berry).

I think the only way these could ever be placed in marts and balanced for a playthrough is in a hypothetical challenge mode in which trainers can use these items. This way it feels less like a massive advantage to trainers and the rare candies would be necessary for making some Pokémon viable if you want to have a certain rotation.

I do agree that evolution items - a la Reaper Cloth, Magmarizer and so on - as well as the novelty Pokéballs could be buyable. I know in Gen VIII the bargain shop in Stow-on-side sells the former, although it's a rotating non-deterministic stock, which is ... less than ideal.

Maybe a bazaar place where some days of the week different people will show up to sell their stuff? So we could have a Pokémaniac selling evolution items in say, Wednesdays and every Saturday a Johtonian will show up selling the Pokéballs they got from their relative in Azalea. I don't know.

Aight this is actually really well put, although regarding the vinegar about spamming powerful moves in dungeons all day long, I can pretty much already do that with any move if my mons are 10 levels higher than the competition (a common sight to see esp in newer titles) so I figured it wouldn't really be all that solid a reason to not sell pp resto items.

+1 as well on everyone saying evo items. Pretty bummer that you can only get one of each per save file.

Years
    • Seen today
    It would be fun if masterballs became available in the post game, for an absurd amount of money.

Years
  • It would be fun if masterballs became available in the post game, for an absurd amount of money.

I'd say to also set an extra restriction, like only allow one Master Ball purchase a day or something, in case gamers find a way to farm money easily.
    Premier Balls on their own, without having to buy 10 other Poké Balls to get one

I do like the clean white aesthetic, so I support this fully.

Years
  • sheep already mentioned apricot balls which i 100% agree with. i know they're supposed to be rare and selling them in shops would diminish that rarity, so they can just be made really expensive or something to make up for that. it'd have to be a price that players would honestly have to grind pokedollars to get, but at least it'd be more accessible.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    You'd expect Apricot Balls to be purchasable at least in the same town they are being made...

I also never understood why evolutionary hold items in some games where exclusive to the post game battle institution. Why make it extra hard for players to get those Pokemon by putting up another wall (other than trading) and thus basically forbidding them to have them on their main story party?

Lordecoxinha

English might falter
    Years
  • It really annoyed me how back in Gen III you can buy Fire, Water, Thunder and Leaf Stones but can't buy Moon stones. Or Sun stones, I think.

I just finished a full randomized FR run and I had a level 58 Nidorina because I randomized item locations as well and I could only find Moon stones on wild Dugtrios in the Sevii Islands...It was painful

I think they're still not being sold in newer gens, but don't quote me on that.

Valroxen

Self Proclaimed Trans Poke-Queen
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't really want anything added. I think more of the marts are pretty much perfect on distribution and I like the idea that certain places have certain specialties. I think evolution items should probably be added, but only late/post game and it seems like more of a fit for department stores to me.

Back