• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Gibson~

It's not my fault!
Years
Wooh, thanx for your ratings guys, I love that kind of comments^^
Although the palettes look a bit iffy on some tiles

Which palettes do you talk about? Cuz actually, this map is just kind of a palette test and I'd like to hear which you like and which not^^

I just want to point out that the waterfall isn't done right. Take a look at the waterfall in Fire Red's Cape Brink. That's how it should be done.

That's what I'm going to do, thx for the tip^^

Unless there is a connection on the right side of the map, you're going to run into border problems.

Maybe, but - sorry I forgot to tell you - as I mentioned above, this map is just a tile/palette-test and I do not plan to use it in a hack^^

Interesting how this map got so many perfect ratings right off the bat. It's not bad, but I see a few things in there that could really be improved.

• As mentioned before, the waterfalls look funky. Fix those and that'll get rid of a major eyesore for the more experienced mappers.
  • Tall Grass Placement. Random-ish and spread out grass is fine, but there's a point where it just becomes ridiculously sparse. While some patches in the map look fine, some spots just have single-tile patches in, literally, corners of the path. This may just be preference, but I don't see much point in putting wild grass tiles in such a fashion that they won't be walked through anyways. I generally don't see them as a typical "naturality decoration".
  • Flower Placement. Hooray for colorful, flowery maps! Except when the flower placement is horrible. Rule of thumb; flowers grow in patches, not independently in random areas of the map. Take a look at some of sasquatchd00d's maps for an example of that, or some other experienced mapper.
  • Borders. Alright, so I'm not sure how many connections you were planning on making here. If you want any hope of successfully putting this map in a hack, though, watch that left side of the map. I found several ways to exit the map there, including via surf, so if you weren't planning on making a connection there, then fix the tiles or make the connecting map. Same goes for right side, minus the walk-ability.
I guess that ties up the criticisms. Besides that, I liked the choice of tiles and palettes. Tree placement is good enough, as is the shape of the mountains. Paths seem to be logical. Seems like a decent map to me. o:

This is really helpful, mate. Gonna take your suggestions to heart, but especially the flower placement is a point I'm quite new to. However, thank you & for the border problem look above, if I was about to use this map in a hack, I'd match the borders in a perfect way xD

9.5/10

I can't really find anything I see wrong with this map except that it might be a little cramped in some places, and some people might think theres too many flowers.

Yeah, you're right. It may seem a bit overloaded^^

greetz,
Gibson

Samike360

Lover of May
Years
Map Name: Route 7
Map Game: Firered
Comments: Regular Route. Tried some new style ideas, used the tiles from Pokemon Johto Adventures (which I'm scripting for).

Spoiler:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Comments: Regular Route. Tried some new style ideas, used the tiles from Pokemon Johto Adventures (which I'm scripting for).

Spoiler:
the trees are lined up gridstly they should be more spread out its a lil empty and the roads a lil big
7/10

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years

Spoiler:

Not too bad, but there's a few things that detract from the map a bit. Overall though, I like the choices of tiles, the basic idea of the route seems fine, and generally the playability is decent. Just a few things that could be changed though:

• Path width. A little bit too wide, perhaps. This is more directed at the top one, as opposed to the bottom path which is only 3 tiles wide. I generally stick with 2 or 3 tiles, so that one's fine. Width of 4 is really pushing it though, so try fixing that!
  • Tree border shape. I'm not a huge advocate of complete naturality, but there's still a difference between solid tree fill and blocky tree fill. Play around with the right side of the map so it doesn't look like one big right angle. Also consider adding a tree or two to the bottom left so it's not one straight line. Ideally you should do the same to the top, but it's not absolutely necessary.
  • Flower Placement. Yeah, I'm nagging at it again. You're close, though! You've got some groups of 2 going in some places. However, I still advise you to avoid singular flowers spread out like that. Cluster them up, not necessarily in huge patches (2 or 3 is fine), but just don't scatter them singularly.
I think that sums up my own critique. I'd say the tall grass placement is a bit too dense and widespread, but that's mostly a preference thing. One thing I didn't specifically address is that the map does seem a little empty. Nothing too bad, though; just spruce it up with a few more details and it'll look fine. I'd say this map, despite its shortcomings, can actually be easily corrected and edited to become a lot better, so I'll bump the rating a bit higher just for that. Keep in mind that this rating can probably be boosted up considerably if you make those adjustments to your map, or to future maps. My ratings can sometimes be significantly affected just by how creative/fun the map seems. Anyways, good job!

Rating: 6.5/10

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
Years
Here's just a random route that I mapped. Credits to kyledove, zein, and Wesley_FG for tiles.

Spoiler:

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
I just recentley got back to hacking, and I want to improve my mapping.
Credits to Wah for the tree tiles
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
@lyzo
That map is awesome! you're one good mapper for me
i'll post my map of mountain im using in my hack..
i dunno who to credit...
Spoiler:

Hide your map in a spoiler next time, k?

Comments/Suggestions: this map is really square, un natural, and pretty boring to play. There isn't a variety of tiles; there should be decoration tiles like flowers or rocks. The whole map is too plain and empty.
Rating: 2/10

You should look at mapping tutorials.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
Map name: N/A
comments: Don't worry about border errors, and ignore the pallete on that one grass tile. The tile is supposed to be just grass.
Credits: Alister and Disturbed
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Years
Map name: Route 1
Made on: Fire Red
Notice: Alright this is the second map I made this year I tried to follow the tips given by the people who rated my last map, but I do have to say I didn't follow them all ;x

Spoiler:

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
Map Name: Pallone Village\Town

Map Game: Fire red

Comments: Well this is the second map i've made using my Icarus Project, except this time the picture isn't brightened ^^.

So please rate on the map and what you think of the overall combination of the tiles i used. And also could you guys decide if it should be Pallone Town Of Pallone Village?:paranoid:

Credits to: Wesley FG for the House tile and Kyledove for the overall tiles, oh and me for the regular grass tile and for editing almost every tile to be able to be inserted and inserting it into the game xD

(Pssst* No stealing!)

Mapshot
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I was bored, so i decided to rate some maps. I'm going to be frank.
Map name: N/A
comments: Don't worry about border errors, and ignore the pallete on that one grass tile. The tile is supposed to be just grass.
Credits: Alister and Disturbed
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: The map itself seems good. I dont like the tiles, but i wont rate based on the tiles.
I see a mapping error close to the second bridge. I like the way you put the mountain tiles, and i love the river.
Rating: 8.5/10

Map name: Route 1
Made on: Fire Red
Notice: Alright this is the second map I made this year I tried to follow the tips given by the people who rated my last map, but I do have to say I didn't follow them all ;x

Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: Overall, a good, simple map. But there are some things bugging me. The water looks too plain, why don't you put a rock or something? And i see there is a border error in the mountains.
Rating: 7/10

Map Name: Pallone Village\Town

Map Game: Fire red

Comments: Well this is the second map i've made using my Icarus Project, except this time the picture isn't brightened ^^.

So please rate on the map and what you think of the overall combination of the tiles i used. And also could you guys decide if it should be Pallone Town Of Pallone Village?:paranoid:

Credits to: Wesley FG for the House tile and Kyledove for the overall tiles, oh and me for the regular grass tile and for editing almost every tile to be able to be inserted and inserting it into the game xD

(Pssst* No stealing!)

Mapshot
Spoiler:

I'm sorry Kyle, but will be harsh.

Comments/Suggestions: The west side of the map, you didnt place the path good, it seems square to me. Your natural style is.. ok.
I see plenty of border errors. This maps playability is very low.

Rating: 6.7/10 D=

Years
Comments/Suggestions: Overall, a good, simple map. But there are some things bugging me. The water looks too plain, why don't you put a rock or something? And i see there is a border error in the mountains.

Alright thanks for the rating, when I posted it I had the same thought about the water but I wanted to wait till the first rating ;) and about the border error it's not a error it has to connect to another map to the left (that I haven't made yet :P)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024

Alright thanks for the rating, when I posted it I had the same thought about the water but I wanted to wait till the first rating ;) and about the border error it's not a error it has to connect to another map to the left (that I haven't made yet :P)

It connects to another map? This is pointless. You can't go west from your map to its connection.

Years
It connects to another map? This is pointless. You can't go west from your map to its connection.

No idd but if you go north there will be a town, and there is a exit at the south then you go to another route and if you go close to the border you might see a piece of the other map.

I hope you understand it's kinda difficult to understand;)

Lyzo

Back from vacation
Years
Ok, I'm reposting a map I posted yesterday, a few posts up. But I made some tile changes and some pallette changes.

Tiles are from Wah and the little tree is Alistairs'

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
No idd but if you go north there will be a town, and there is a exit at the south then you go to another route and if you go close to the border you might see a piece of the other map.

I hope you understand it's kinda difficult to understand;)

What..? You think i didn't get it? I know what you mean, and i think it would be easier to make this map a little bigger, so you can avoid the connection.. but never mind.

Ok, I'm reposting a map I posted yesterday, a few posts up. But I made some tile changes and some pallette changes.

Tiles are from Wah and the little tree is Alistairs'

Spoiler:

Comments/Suggestions: This map is pretty simple and beatiful. But I think it'd be a little boring in the game.. but good job!
Rating: 8/10

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Here is my map!

Game: Fire Red
Map Name: Round 99

untitled-2.png

Comments/Suggestions: Ok, i have some complaints about this map. It has no playability. If you go up in that mountain, you'll see trees (border block), unless it connects to another map (its useless), or you put as border block a simple gound tile. But if you go near the trees then, you'll see ground. I'm not sure if you got this, but this is how it is.

Overall, the map is beatiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back