• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
  • Map Name: none( I guess you can tell I don't like to name my maps)
    credits: I am using TB Pro's base so I guess Kyledove, Alistair, Zeikku, TB Pro, and me.
    Map Game: ruby
    comments: this map is currently up for grabs ( that means anyone can use it), but if you want to use it pm me first. Also I might have overdone the water with rocks so tell me if I did.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • I finally gave an attempt to mapping and this is what I came up with you. Do I have potential?

Rating would be nice as well

Map Name: Unnamed.

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: First attempt at mapping.

Mapshot:
    map1st.png

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I finally gave an attempt to mapping and this is what I came up with you. Do I have potential?

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

RATING: 5/10
    REASON: It's.., an empty map... :\ It has a lot of empty space and it gives off a boring aura... But it's also a nice map.
    SUGGESTION: You should add more beauty on that map: add more trees and such. Also, try looking at other maps and analyze on how to map.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • I finally gave an attempt to mapping and this is what I came up with you. Do I have potential?

Mapshot:
    map1st.png

Wow, this is rubbish. I'm sorry, but you shouldn't even post a map, unless you think it compares with other ones on this thread, and this one doesn't. NONE of the borders will work, so yeah. The map is TOO empty, and centered to one side. Really, everything is bad with this map, please go look at a map tutorial. Sorry if I came off harsh, but you should be able to clearly see why I gave you this rating, can't you? :P

Rating: 0/10

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2013
    sab said:
    Map Name: none( I guess you can tell I don't like to name my maps)
    credits: I am using TB Pro's base so I guess Kyledove, Alistair, Zeikku, TB Pro, and me.
    Map Game: ruby
    comments: this map is currently up for grabs ( that means anyone can use it), but if you want to use it pm me first. Also I might have overdone the water with rocks so tell me if I did.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    WoW!
    Map, tiles, palettes all great!
    I really enjoyed.
    10 / 10

Syrex said:
    I finally gave an attempt to mapping and this is what I came up with you. Do I have potential?

Mapshot:

Spoiler:
    The tiles are Fire Red... The map is empty...
    4 / 10

BryanDX

Rookie detective
    Years
  • A link's awankening map

Map Name: Road to Beach
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments:Just a map I made for my hack.the tiles were made by Kyledove.

Last edited:

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • Map Name: Road to Beach
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments:Just a map I made for my hack.the tiles were made by Kyledove.

I wouldn't necessarily be as harsh as to give a 0 rating to this map. You at least don't seem to have a problem with tile insertion. The choice of some of the tiles and palettes seems good (hooray for Kyledove); a great looking map can definitely be made out of them. Unfortunately, the mapping itself did not accomplish that. Besides reading mapping tuts, which I also suggest you do, here's a few big suggestions I'll throw at you right now for stuff that really degrades your map from "not a good map" to "just plain noob map".

• First off, the obvious border errors. Remember: your map is either connected to another map on one side (so you also gotta imagine what that connection would look like, don't just make one huge empty space on the side), or it's not connected to anything, which means you gotta maintain a significant border with NO empty spaces on that side. Don't forget that, if you continue mapping. Ever.
    • Next, repetition is one of your worst enemies. Clusters and groups are fine, as long as they are spread out. The moment we see too many bushes, grasses, or in this case holes, all in one area, the map automatically looks a LOT worse. So all those holes? Just don't. Please don't.
    • Oh, about those holes. Or whatever they are. They lead to my next point. Huge contrasts in color or style in the same map are usually bad. More skilled mappers can incorporate changes like that in a natural way. As for beginners such as yourself? I wouldn't suggest it. So that cave-based tileset you stuck in the middle of the map is a huge mistake. It doesn't fit in, it doesn't blend in, and it doesn't contribute anything beneficial to your map. If you're mapping a grassy coast, then map a grassy coast. Avoid most things from tilesets that don't apply to the terrain that you are trying to map.
    Obviously there's a lot more I could point out, but I think mapping tuts can take it from there. Don't worry about it looking too "crammed". It only gets that feel from the contrasts you have. Only if your walking spaces start dying off, then you have a crowding issue. Otherwise, a decent attempt at mapping without any prior experience or knowledge, I suppose. Study those tuts, though, or you'll never be able to make rate-able maps for this thread. G'luck!

Final rating: 2.5/10

EDIT: Right, about those walking spaces. I wasn't talking about the right side of your map when I said that. Due to poor placement of mountains and trees, most of that is completely inaccessible. If it was, though, it would be crammed. Just throwin' that out there. s:

(I write a lot when I'm bored, lay offff)

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • This is getting a little bit too Off-Topic...

- Pokey here!
    Well, here's a map I made a looooong while ago. I tested using a little more Nintendoish tree-placement style, and I think it worked out pretty well.
    Sdly, I didn't write down whoms tiles these are, as I originally planned to just keep the map for myself... But you can fill in if you want ^^

Anywayz, rate, pals!

NAME: Waterfall forest
    GAME: FireRed
    COMMENTS: see above

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 189

Comments: Second attempt at mapping

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Map Name: Route 189

Comments: Second attempt at mapping
    Spoiler:

RATING: 4/10

REASON: The playability of this map is close to zero. Try playing this map, you'll pass it in 1 minute, and that's not fun. And East part of the map looks like a walkway. Un-normal, don't you agree?

SUGGESTION: Try to think what Mother Nature would put in woods like this. lolz
    And look some mapping tutorials.

And hide it in spoiler next time.

Nice try though. ;D

Now, its my turn to post a map.
    There are connections to the West and the North (So the border block doesn't screw up)

Name: Sol Town
    Spoiler:

Credits:
    MasterOfPuppets (rombase)
    Synyster_Lily (or Zeikku)
    Snowwy (for inspiring me)

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    And I thought I'd post a map as well:

ROM Base - Ruby
    Name - There isn't one.
    Credits - Nintendo (Grass Path and ROM), Reck (Other tiles), myself (inserting. Thanks me!)
    Comments: The paths are kinda cruddy, as I did that nintendo like for some reason. Also noticed, I may have put the lakey thing a bit too square...
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Long time ago since I ever was here on this forum but im just putting on a map to see if my mapping is still ok.

Credits to : Kyledove, Peyi, Punk Rocker for rombase
    Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back