• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fighter, Mage, Thief

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

In a lot of RPGs, there's often some iteration of classes in place, with these three often being the center or main ones.

Fighter: Offense-oriented, typically using physical force. Usually most balanced stats.

Mage: Typically glass-cannon type character, with powerful spells and abilities but also the ability to die in one or two hits if not protected by a tankier character.

Thief: Associated with speed, agility and stealth. Thieves/assassins/etc strike from the shadows rather than fight up front.​

That's, of course, a very basic rundown of the three main archetypes in RPGs, but which would you say fits your usual playstyle the most? Do you like to switch it up depending on the game? Do you try to play all the classes at some point, or do you usually stick to one playstyle? What are some of the more interesting takes on these three classes you have seen?

pkmin3033

It depends on how squishy the Mage is, and what kind of spells are available from the beginning. Generally I'll go with a Thief-type class because that usually involves bows and I have always preferred range, but if it's easy to get a set-up that allows me to carve a path of carnage I will always go Mage, because burning people is more fun than cutting them up into pieces or using them as pincushions. It's very rare for me to play as a Warrior class because usually it involves button mashing or taking more hits than I am comfortable with.

Years
  • always mage classes

idk I always feel like it's kinda boring being the sword and shield type while casting spells is exciting for me. =o

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    100% Thief! Stealth, speed, and critical attacks are my bread and butter in RPGs. They make for some of the most fun gaming archetypes, imo.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Warrior/Fighter for me. When I started on Diablo 2, Barbarian and Paladin were the first two classes I played as. Paladin was more balanced with respect to offensive abilities(decent with Melee but also could cast spells) while the Barbarian was full out Melee and had the life to back it up. Paladin could also tank well due to its ability to block with a Shield. When I started out on Diablo 3, Barbarian was pretty much all I played. I've dabbled in the other classes but I still come back to the Barbarian.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Usually it's Thief for first/main play-through, and Mage for second play-through. The Thief class is usually called a Ranger in the RPGs I play, and as a side-effect of my obsession with The Ranger's Apprentice as a kid, I tend to always lean towards this sort of class. Mages are pretty self-explanatory though 😄

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I usually go mage because I was always a fan of magic. Or if archery is a thing, that's fun to play too. I like ranged in general.
    Once in a while, I'll go fighter, though I'm more of a giant sword/hammer kind of fighter than a sword and shield kind of fighter.
    I very rarely use Thief though because they are usually weak and my luck for evasion/speed to kick in so I can dodge an attack is abysmal. :(

Years
  • Gimme mages and watch me wreck shop. Easily my favourite class to play as in just about anything, especially with just how much more broad they can deviate versus the other two archetypes imho.

User Anon 1848

Tbh I don't think I've played any traditional RPG's like that outside of Skyrim and that game is so casual friendly it lets you use skills from all the classes. I got the most enjoyment from thieving and sneaking my way through the game then conjuring up a weapon or ally when I got myself into trouble.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've kind of been all three, and idk if I have a particular overall preference. Depends somewhat on the game I think. Like in TES games, I've usually preferred to be an assassin type character, while in Soulsborne I've been more of a melee player (have dabbled in magic tho). Then in Tales games I often find myself playing the mage character.

Never really been one to just stick with one character or weapon I guess.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Somewhat relevant bump with the new and improved Legend of PokeCommunity thread.
    Shameless mod plug click 👆

To be honest, depending on the gameplay I generally like to start with the mage class as well, or any ranged magic-using class because I feel "safer" being at a distance from my enemies, even if health is lower. I don't know why I always prefer that to archers - ranged as well, but I guess magic is cooler. Also, in a lot of games, bow and arrow tend to require more skill if you actually need to aim, so with that, good aim, positioning and some stealth also comes into play, whereas magic is generally less specific and you just need to know which spells to cast at the right time.

I do like to venture into other classes when I'm more comfortable with the game though, try a bit of everything.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    It's probably mostly going to just be an aesthetic difference in classes for lopc and we probably won't put your stealth skills to the test

probably

Years
  • I'm trying to balance the choice in between games, so I don't play only one class all the time. Like I've played as fighter in Gothic, then mage/fighter in Dragon Age: Origins and now I play as thief in Scarlet Heroes. And I plan on playing as two-handed fighter in Dragon Age II.

But mage is probably the one class that I enjoy the most. There is something magical about throwing nuclear bomb on your opponents. And ranged thief is also fun.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I always leaned either Mage or Thief myself. I guess I wanted to either stay back and cast spells or sneak around like a thief instead of just full force going up and attacking hahah.

Eldegoss

[i]The Beauty of Galar[/i]
    Years
  • I always choose to be a mage class. Whether it is a clerical role or a dark mage, they feel more fun to me than anything else.

Fighters are probably my least favourite roles to play as, since they are all kinda... the same.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    When I was younger, I was always drawn by speed and stealth, so I would pick rogue-like characters. My first character on WoW was a night elf rogue.

As I've got older though I've started to favour fighter-type characters. I loved playing a Crusader in Diablo 3, for instance. My favourite character in D3 was Monk though, which seems apt, as it's a solid mix of speed and brawn.

I've never been drawn to Mage-like characters, curiously. Maybe some day I'll try them out.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm a very fightery type. In Mass Effect, Dragon Age and other such games, I go for the basic fighter character and bash my way through things XD when playing DnD I've tended to be frontline characters as well, such as monk, war cleric etc.

do fancy think if u want.
    me bash.

Last edited:
    Back