• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Talk about your hair

Years
Also, someone told me that if you have super oily hair, you can put babypowder in your hairline at night and comb it out the next day.

I have really oily hair and although I haven't tried baby powder I have tried powder shampoo several times and it honestly doesn't work at all for me. I have to use like a ton of the bottle and it's just more hassle than it's worth for me. It also doesn't really look that good after a few hours.

noa

sleeping cutie
Years
Ah, my hair has quite a history. Story time! Many of you have seen my hair, I think. It's blonde and down to my shoulders, right? Well in 2011 my trichotillomania (hair pulling disorder) reached a breaking point and I... basically... pulled all my hair out. It was really embarrassing. When I really looked in the mirror I saw how horrible it looked so I basically overcame my disorder with sheer willpower! 5 years later (with some haircuts) it's the length it is now. Because of this, i'm really proud of it and take good care of it. It does have a tendency to get super oily after one day though.

Years
I have really oily hair and although I haven't tried baby powder I have tried powder shampoo several times and it honestly doesn't work at all for me. I have to use like a ton of the bottle and it's just more hassle than it's worth for me. It also doesn't really look that good after a few hours.

Well, let me know if the powder works! My hairdresser suggested it to my sister as a cheap Asian trick.

What are the benefits of blowdrying your hair after a shower? Even with long hair, I wrapped a towel around it and combed it into a reasonable shape. I don't like the noise or the heat or the power required to do this, but there must be some benefits.

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2022
Well, let me know if the powder works! My hairdresser suggested it to my sister as a cheap Asian trick.

What are the benefits of blowdrying your hair after a shower? Even with long hair, I wrapped a towel around it and combed it into a reasonable shape. I don't like the noise or the heat or the power required to do this, but there must be some benefits.

You have dark hair, right? You use the powder the night before? I would use it the day of and while I liked the results, it left my hair looking grey and it was obvious I had used powder. I want to keep this trick, but only if there's a way to use it without looking grey.

My hair doesn't get oily very quickly, but since it's black, it takes on a natural sheen that makes it look oily even when it's not which can be annoying.

As for the blowdrying, I have curly hair so I don't do it because it'll just massively frizz it up. However, it's supposed to be a quicker way to style your hair without having to wait for it to air dry is my understanding.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I've been cutting my own hair since I was 13 - before that my mom used to trim it for me, but I was at that age where I wanted an "edgier" haircut and begged my mom to let me get it professionally cut and dyed - I absolutely hated what they did (I don't know if I just happened to go to a bad salon or I didn't communicate what I wanted clearly), so since then I just refused to go back to a salon and started cutting my hair myself.

It started with just trimming my own bangs, but gradually I got better at it and braver, so I started experimenting with different lengths and layers. I wore my hair pretty long in high school (usually no shorter than mid-back), and I liked short, choppy layers throughout it, but over the years I've grown to prefer more even, gradual layers, mid-length hair over long and grew out my side-swept bangs.

The most recent haircut I gave myself, I actually messed up for the first time in a really long time - it was late that night but I had been wanting a haircut for a while at that point (and I had a few weddings to go to in the days following), so against my better judgement I started cutting my hair at like 12am and got really tired and impatient after a while - started rushing through it and accidentally cut a layer way too short. I spent a lot of the next day trying to find ways to hide it (curling my hair, tying it back, etc.) but came to the conclusion it would just be a lot easier if I cut the rest of my hair short to match that part instead of trying to hide the unevenness. So I chopped the rest of my hair off.

I have literally never had my hair this short since I was maybe 5? Took a few days to get used to, but I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself and it doesn't look too bad - just look a lot younger, imo. :P

Spoiler: Before & After

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 26, 2017
My hair is short, black with a couple of grey strands with a small grey spot on the back of my head that I had since I was born.

Years
You have dark hair, right? You use the powder the night before? I would use it the day of and while I liked the results, it left my hair looking grey and it was obvious I had used powder. I want to keep this trick, but only if there's a way to use it without looking grey.

My hair doesn't get oily very quickly, but since it's black, it takes on a natural sheen that makes it look oily even when it's not which can be annoying.

As for the blowdrying, I have curly hair so I don't do it because it'll just massively frizz it up. However, it's supposed to be a quicker way to style your hair without having to wait for it to air dry is my understanding.

I think you're supposed to let it sit through the night and then shower it out. I don't know, I can ask her when I get another hair cut, but she has dark hair too, so whatever she does must work. Well, if your hair isn't oily, I wouldn't recommend it. I have black hair as well, but I don't have problems with an oily sheen. I don't have any suggestions for it, unfortunately!
I have dry hair, so I have the opposite problem. My friend who has extremely coarse hair only uses conditioner and I guess it has worked for her.

Years
I just got my hair cut again, more of a layered cut while still remaining around the same length as I usually do, and my usual fringe trim. I have a fringe that grows goddamn fast hahahaha

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
My hair is black, and it's really thick and curly if I don't comb it. It's kinda long for a male I guess, and I have it styled into a blowout fade most of the time. I'm really letting it grow out simply because because haircuts are cheaper when you only need a trim, lol.

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
My hair is pretty straight forward. It's long(but not too long and unmanageable), it is dark brown, and unless I curl it it is straight as an arrow.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 17, 2021
It needs to be cut, but I'm too lazy to go to the barber. Usually I get the sides cut short and the top medium. When I want to look presentable I spike it up, but usually I just wear a hat.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
if it wasn't so toxic and thus bad for your health to dye hair constantly....
i would do it all the time
and go wild
especially with pink and purple
and maybe a bit of blue too​

Lucid

Dying your hair isn't toxic or bad for your health. It can be damaged goods for your hair if not done or maintained properly.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
Dying your hair isn't toxic or bad for your health.

you joking right
you ACTUALLY saying there is no toxic shit in that stuff......
did facts change over night or am i going crazy....
because last time i did it myself, the toxic shit stunk so bad coming out of my hair after being done, i had serious headaches for a week or so because of it.
and getting headaches like big time is not even the worse that them toxics can cause :|

Lucid

Well, the dye you used probably had ammonia in it. You're not supposed to use those dyes in small enclosed rooms either, because yeah, the smell can be overpowering. There are dyes out there with different active ingredients out there that don't have overwhelming smells, but box dyes tend to be cheap and harsh in general. But again, no, they are absolutely not bad for your health or toxic.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Brown hair. Short. All I do aside from washing it is brush it to the sides with my hands so it's not all hanging down in front. Haven't run a comb or brush through it in years, ha.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
Well, the dye you used probably had ammonia in it. You're not supposed to use those dyes in small enclosed rooms either, because yeah, the smell can be overpowering. There are dyes out there with different active ingredients out there that don't have overwhelming smells, but box dyes tend to be cheap and harsh in general. But again, no, they are absolutely not bad for your health or toxic.
are you a professional hairdresser?​

Lucid

I actually asked my doctor about it while I was pregnant, my hairdresser too and researched it a bunch on my own. It's topical and none of the stuff from box or salon dyes can get into your blood stream. It won't effect your health. Anyway.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years
I actually asked my doctor about it while I was pregnant, my hairdresser too and researched it a bunch on my own. It's topical and none of the stuff from box or salon dyes can get into your blood stream. It won't effect your health. Anyway.

you forgetting about the bleach that murders your hair and certainly can cause health issues?~_~​

Back