• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Twitter Increasing Character Limit To 280

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Well, after years of rumors, it's finally happening. Twitter is increasing the character limit to 280.

Guest123_x1

When is this going into effect? I'm still only allowed 140 characters. Is this change only for certain users or something? Are there certain conditions that I haven't met that I need to in order to qualify?

Nonetheless, though, upstart competitor Gab (which I have an account and, but that place has been slammed as being an "alt-right propaganda site") allows for 300 characters in user messages.

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is a change that we definitely needed. I always found 140 way too small for a character limit so these new changes will be more beneficial to the site, and therefore means better tweets.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • It took them this long for them to finally consider doubling the character limit? I've seen so many people resorting to posting an image of a long tweet, among other tricks to get around it.

A welcome change nevertheless.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    i used to find twitter's character limit to be a positive thing in that it requires you to concisely express your thoughts, but after actually being on the platform i was quickly proven wrong.

this is definitely a welcome change, though!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Anyone here get the change yet? I'm still at 140.

Years
  • I was wondering why I was seeing such long tweets from people lately. Weird.. definitely gonna take some getting used to for me, they're longer than I'd like now but I guess it cuts down on the number of people breaking their novel tweets into 10 different posts haha.

Back