• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games beyond your skill level

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Are there any games you just find "beyond your skill level"? I find the Shin Megami Tensei game to be this for me. Touhou, too.

pkmin3033

I only wish I could make an extensive list here, because whenever I find something that is seemingly beyond my skill level I will persevere with it until I finish it. No matter how much suffering it may cause me, or how long it takes me.

But I guess...anything above a 6.5* difficulty in Project Diva games. Also, Path of Pain in Hollow Knight, the White Palace was bad enough.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Most or all PvP stuff at least, I don't have what it takes to be any good at that. There's probably other things too.

Years
    • Seen today
    I mostly play JRPG's now and they can almost all be conquered through grinding.

I'm weaker at platformers, but after doing 120 shines on Mario Sunshine I feel like I was underestimating my own skill. I also cleared all the Mega Man NES games so I would say that I'm moderately skilled at those too.

Sometimes I turn story heavy games to easy if I only begin to care about plot.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I only wish I could make an extensive list here, because whenever I find something that is seemingly beyond my skill level I will persevere with it until I finish it. No matter how much suffering it may cause me, or how long it takes me.

But I guess...anything above a 6.5* difficulty in Project Diva games. Also, Path of Pain in Hollow Knight, the White Palace was bad enough.

Project Diva games look like something else, and are definitely beyond my rhythm game skill level, too.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Considering my ineptitude in even a game like Mega Man X2 or Cave Story, I'm certainly not going to be playing any bullet hells any time soon.

Or any fighting game.

Years
  • pretty much any fighting game lol. im talking about tekken/street fighter-esque games where you have to practice a TON to be good at it and learn the ins and outs of character hit/hurtboxes, etc. too much for me. @_@

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I mostly play JRPG's now and they can almost all be conquered through grinding.

I'm weaker at platformers, but after doing 120 shines on Mario Sunshine I feel like I was underestimating my own skill. I also cleared all the Mega Man NES games so I would say that I'm moderately skilled at those too.

Sometimes I turn story heavy games to easy if I only begin to care about plot.

I do relate to this quite a lot. Celeste was pretty popular so I got it only to realise I was really bad at it. It took me numerous tries just to get past one room to the other. I did play Hollow Knight and did the Path of Pain once, so that did instill some confidence in me. Nonetheless platformers like celeste are really a torture to me XD

Years
  • MOBAs like League and DOTA are harder for me to enjoy than I would like because of how much thinking and planning and split-second decision making is involved. If Ireally tried, I could get better and probably enjoy them more, but right now they just require too much from me and I don't think I have the necessary skills to enjoy them for too long.

Also there are a LOT of fighting games that are a bit too technical for me to play on any decent level.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Celeste

it seems to insanely hard and i give up easily lol. heck, i even gave up in Cave Story.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I started League of Legends three months ago, I really don't feel ready to PvP yet so I just PvE and it's fun :)
    I generally don't want to commit to a PvP game, because the required level of skill is simply too high. to actually have fun.

There's one type of games that I can't play for the life of me: bullet hells. I just don't get it. Furi is a game I would like to love, because I like bosses whose battles are hidden rhythm games. The problem? Every boss induces bullet hells at some point.
    I've heard Nier Automata also had some bullet hell phases so I postpone buying it XD

Last edited:

Aldo

Survivalist
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Fighting games. If I have to play against real people or a bot beyond Easy, it's a loss for me

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Fighting games against other people I find them really hard to play or games like overwatch I suck at it

Years
  • Judging by
    Spoiler:
    , I feel like the end game of Hollow Knight is going to test me. The first two bosses only took 4-5 attempts each but I have heard the game gets pretty damn hard. Also the Demon Souls franchise. I have tried Dark Souls and Bloodbourne and, I don't know if I didn't play long enough to understand the combat fully or min-max my characters, but I haven't gotten very far in either game.

Years
  • God... most. Fighting games like others mentioned, Super Meat Boy, Cuphead, like anything else that's known to be hard. Heck, even other games would be tough for me since I'm not too good at many of them lol.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Judging by
    Spoiler:
    , I feel like the end game of Hollow Knight is going to test me. The first two bosses only took 4-5 attempts each but I have heard the game gets pretty damn hard. Also the Demon Souls franchise. I have tried Dark Souls and Bloodbourne and, I don't know if I didn't play long enough to understand the combat fully or min-max my characters, but I haven't gotten very far in either game.
    my brother has been playing that game I think he is near the end he is finding it really hard I wish you luck it looks super hard

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I find a lot of video games hard to be honest. I'm slow at picking up how a video game works and I notice that the most when playing multiplayer games with friends that there is definitely a huge difference in skill level, haha. I am able to play fine enough to enjoy casual PVPs/multiplayer at a lower level but I used to get anxious that the difference in skill would mean that it was frustrating to game with me. I try my best but I don't devote nearly enough time into improving at any particular multiplayer game so I always feel out of my depth.

But if I had to pick a specific game way beyond my skill level I would say Professor Layton was the first game that came to mind, I have never been able to get the hang of those types of games without looking up the answers constantly. I struggle a lot with rhythm games for some reason but I would like to try and play more of them. First person shooters I have never got the hang of but I am OK with that as I get motion sick way too fast to be able to practice more. :D

Back