• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which main-series game took you the most to get into?

Years
    • Age 25
    • He/Him | It/Its
    • Chile
    • Seen Mar 12, 2023
    Hello! I hope you're all doing well. First off im sorry if this question has already been asked; i just think it's a cool question cause it can vary so much from player to player.

The question is this:
    Which main-series game did you have the most trouble getting into? Or which one took the longest to catch you?
    As a bonus, is there a game you have started playing but never finished?

My answer: Platinum (also Diamond and Pearl)
    I don't know what it is about the Gen 4 games, i've started Platinum several times only to abandon it. Today I started playing it again and I *hope* i can finish it. I've played Soul Silver without problem, I don't know what it is about DPP!

Feel free to write an answer as detailed or as short as you deem necessary; I'd love to see all your answers <3

Years
    • Seen today
    HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I can't pin point an exact reason. I've never been able to finish these to the Red battle. Yet Crystal remains one of my favorite main series games. It might be a large preference of art style.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Either HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black 2.

I bought SoulSilver, realised it had all the wrong version exclusives, so swapped it for HeartGold. By which time I'd done so much planning and obsessing the game held very little sense of novelty for me so I don't think I even made it to all 16 badges with my first full save. But now its by far my favourite (and the only one where I've completed a regional pokédex), and distracted me through the first lockdown in 2020.
    Black 2 I didn't realise had come out so soon, got it a couple of years later pre-owned, WFC was already shut down, the game crashes a lot at the climax of the story, and I'd gotten really obsessed with a different game series. So whilst I apparently completed all the story elements, it was such a non-experience for me I had no recollection of PWT or anything like that. Took me until this year to revisit it.

Years
  • Hmmm.... bit of a toss up between DPPt & BW/B2W2 for me.
    I only played through Diamond & Pearl once. Never replayed at all. Same with BW, B2W2.
    Also didn't bother with anything postgame related in any of these.
    What can I say, bland regions & characters and in BW half the dex felt like filler to me at the time.

Atm the only game I have that I still haven't finished is Ultra Moon. I have already fully played through Ultra Sun though so....

Years
    • Seen today
    Sword/Shield, due to the early game: Constant hand-holding, one cutscene after another, annoying rival showing up everywhere, Charizard propaganda, pointless ceremony before starting the gym challenge, wild area that apparently (finally) gives you some freedom, except you can't go far because due to your levels you can't catch in the higher level areas so you need to come back later anyway.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Tbh, none of them were hard to get into. I'll play any Pokemon game with the except of the let's go games. I've beaten every single one except finishing the Arceus postgame because I'm still working on it.

Years
  • None of them, at least not to any serious extent I think. I was especially addicted to the series as a kid and immediately got attached to the main series games when I got them. Even the more handhold-y games like SuMo and SwSh were so fun and I loved them all.

But I suppose Platinum would come closest. The new features were awesome and I played it lots, but still played DP more for more and put a lot more hours into that. Didn't realize and appreciate until much later how much better Platinum was than its predecessors.

Years
    • They/them
    • Seen Sep 9, 2022
    Sun and Moon. I bought both at launch and I actually stopped playing Sun completely for several months, I got fed up with being shuttled to and from places by extremely irritating characters, and the segmentation of the islands made the game feel almost stage-based in its structure...definitely not what I was looking for in a Pokemon game. The Pokemon themselves were also very underwhelming in terms of design that generation, and for all the talk about Trials not being Gyms, Trials were Gyms.

I did go back to it eventually. But alongside Generation V it's the only Gen I've only played the once.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Probably Sun and Moon, it's the only generation I've never finished.

Probably because it has a bit of a slow start and was actually harder than I expected, meaning I needed to put the grinding effort while using an actual console, which is just kinda ewwww

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Chooses Omega Ruby as the closest answer. Did not research gym levels. Never knew if a level spike was around the corner. Wound up massively overleveled, much like the first playthrough of X. Trounced everything after a point. Remained unappreciative of Hoenn's Pokemon selection too, but without the freshness of a new adventure as in Sapphire.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I have a easy time getting into them, but a lot of trouble finishing them. Still havent beaten red or cynthia.

Years
  • i picked up b2w2 just to reply them and to this day i don't think i've gotten past the second or third gym. to be honest, i'm not sure if this is so much the game's fault because i'm not really the type of person to replay main series pokemon games in the first place. so i can't really fault the game itself too much, here.

Years
  • black and white. I played them only few times but it always got me much time, because despite I love the story, it's pretty much the rest that makes the game really slow and gets me uninterested. I am talking about the style of the game, some characters that design wise I don't like, some cities I don't like and especially the pokemon. When I firstly played BW when I was 10 I was like "i don't like them" and went back playing pokemon diamond and platinum lol and in general I have always had a low consideration of gen 5 games, especially BW. Growing up, I understood that the story was incredibly good. I re-evaluated the games somehow but when I went back playing them, the feelings didn't change. I thought it was just a question of maturity, but actually, playing a game with a style and with things you don't like really demotivates you. This is highly subjective tho. B2W2 kinda same but less because the new things added were kinda cool

Back