• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ho-oh or Lugia?

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Lugia, such an interesting design and it's just so massive and imposing; plus there's Shadow Lugia, which is just so cool-looking. Aeroblast is also just an awesome attack.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • lugia wins by a ton. significant lore behind its creation, a simple yet effective design, a good movie dedicated to it, great shiny. in honor to Shudō, I see lugia as a female figure. should've been part water though lol.

Mario60866

Banned
    Years
  • I really like Lugia a lot. It's legend is interesting and I like its typing defensively. My favorite Lugia moveset is Aeroblast, Psychic, Hydro Pump, and Calm Mind while holding Leftovers.

I also really like Shadow Lugia from XD: Gale of Darkness. It looks so cool in that form.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Ho-oh will forever be my favorite, but I'm a Johto snob anyways lol

Years
  • Lugia is pretty chill, but Ho Oh is the Bad ass one , i used to like Lugia a few Years ago cuz he looked so chill but they did him dirty in the movies , while Ho oh is like your of lucky charm , It's obv if i could take 1 i would go with Ho-Oh

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I dunno if I could choose. Lugia is badass and has some amazing moments in the games / movies / anime, and its TCG cards are some of the most badass.. but Ho-oh is just THE Pokémon that got everyone excited about the future of the anime and kept a lot of us engaged in the Pokémon fandom. This is a real 50/50 for me. ;w;

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2022
    Definitely Ho-Oh. Never cared for the anime or the movies (save for the tenth one), and I prefer more offensively-oriented pokémon. Ho-Oh's design looks more appealing to me, but I do quite like Lugia's design too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2022
    When do you need Lugia and Ho-Oh when you can have three inappropiately leveled Dragonites?

Jokes aside, Lugia has always been my favourite between the two. Not saying it's better, just a personal preference.

bez850

Professional Amateur
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Ho-Oh all day EVERY DAY! He is the first legendary canonical to the anime, he was the first legendary I met in 99, and he by far has one of the most interesting back stories of the early legends! But johto was all about its legends to be fair!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • They are both great, but i have to stick to Ho-oh as I started with Gold version. I love the design, lore, shiny form, and battle theme for Ho-oh. You can't beat its majestic look in the first episode of the anime.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    i like both, but i think i will go with lugia just because i love Shadow Lugia in Pokemon XD. Wish Ho-oh had an official shadow version too.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Both Lugia and Ho-Oh are very good. Both are very defensive oriented Pokémon. Ho-Oh caters more to my play style though because Ho-Oh is more of a bulky attacker while Lugia is more of a staller. I prefer go on the offensive rather than stall.

Years
  • Ho-oh is a majestic rainbow fire bird of majesticness. Lugia is referred to as "diving pokemon" and isnt even a water type, also looks more boring and has a less cool looking unique move. Ho-oh all the way

Years
  • It's super hard to choose! Gen 2 is my forever favourite generation, and I always had access to both Ho-oh and Lugia, no matter which game I played. That's one reason I love these two so much; I think they truly feel standalone, with their own separate lore. I know the stories of HGSS try to create more of a parallel between them, but back in the day it's a simple case of "Ho-oh lives atop this tower, Lugia lives at the bottom of this cavern", and they both have such different vibes.

I wish Lugia got an item like Sacred Ash though. Makes things feel slightly one-sided when Ho-oh has an item associated with it and Lugia doesn't.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I... honestly cannot decide which one I like more! I've always been big on Lugia, but lately Ho-oh has caught my attention more due to its unique-sounding battle theme, its greater lore involvement, its warmer color palette, and its association with the sky rather than the sea. Lugia, however, also has an amazing battle theme - possibly the most intimidating in all the franchise - a better cry than Ho-oh, and an interesting design history.

Ultimately, I choose Ho-oh solely on the basis of its typing, because I prefer Fire-types over Psychic-types. That, however, doesn't mean I like Lugia less. It's about equal for me.

The Foogle

Gone For Good
    Years
  • Oooh, that's a tricky one. Both have good qualities that make them spectacular. In Ho-oh's case, it has Regenerator and the better battle theme. (In HGSS, since that was the game that gave Ho-oh a theme) Lugia, meanwhile, is RIDICULOUSLY tanky with Multiscale on top of that. Both of them have good shinies, too.

I think i like Lugia more overall, though.

Back