• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Ho-oh or Lugia?

Years
  • Ho-oh, though Lugia is cool too. I'm a myth lover, and Ho-oh is based on a real mythical creature the fire bird, and it's lore in the Pokémon universe is awesome. It resurrected the pokemon who perished in the flames of the brass tower, and Suicuine, Entei and Raikou came forth. Ho-oh also gives you the sacred ash. It's color scheme of gold and red make it look I think more inviting, and having prismatic wings that reflect a rainbow pattern is the clencher for me.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • Ho-Oh is the king of majestic. Probably my favourite legendary from the first two gens and a solid contender for top 5 overall from those two.
    That being said, Shadow Lugia is baller as FUCK.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    Lugia I dont know why, I just do. I feel he got the short end of the stick when compared to ho-oh. A his theme is tarable when compared to ho-oh and his typing makes no sense

Years
  • I do like Ho-Oh a lot, and think he's got a really cool concept... it's just that head and neck really don't mesh well with the rest of the body. I get he's supposed to be like a phoenix raising dead pokemon from the ashes (and explains the sacred ash) but god that neck just ... no.

And as cool as Lugia is... I'll still pick Ho-Oh.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i really like both. they have stellar designs and interesting lore. i think as a kid i preferred gold. i always wanted gold version, but i ended up buying silver from my bus driver's son who was selling them. and that happened at a really rough time in my life so like all i had was pokemon, namely my newly acquired silver and red version. so i'm particularly attached to those games, and the pokemon on the covers. so lugia takes my vote. also the shiny is pink and it's one of my partner's favorite pokemon, too. and the first game i imported was soulsilver...haha. i'm very sentimental. :)

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Lugia. Views Ho-oh as just fancy Fearow. Imagines Lugia flying through water and air with equal ease. Finds that intriguing. Prefers Lugia's sleeker, more monstrous design (rather than straight birdlike) as well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I absolutely love the legendary beasts, and I always thought Ho-oh was really beautiful yet scary and imposing in an awesome combo while still somehow retaining the charming goofyness that I associate dearly with Johto and gen 2. Ho-oh wins for me; I was never a Lugia fanby.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ho-oh. I like the idea of a Pokémon based on the rainbow, and the lore of it revealing itself in front of pure-heart trainers.

My problem with Lugia is: it's typing doesn't make any sense, and its concept isn't as clear or cool as Ho-oh's. While Ho-oh represents the rainbow, Lugia represents... the underwater? but it's not even a Water type. It's a "diving" creature but it's somehow "Flying", and it's Psychic literally just because according to Game Freak the Psychic type was a symbol of being powerful so it had to be Psychic...

Years
  • Ho-Oh, easily. Lugia is a good Pokémon and had some great episodes/movies, but Ho-Oh's design is just beautiful and I love its lore. One of the coolest mons out there!

Years
  • Ho-Oh is my favorite between the two. It has an awesome design and concept.

Lugia is cool as well but those hand-wings with "fingers" are weird and ruin the design a bit for me, the typing also doesn't really work for a guardian of the sea. Ho-Oh also has a cooler lore with creating the legendary beasts by reviving the three dead Pokemon (possibly the OG Eeveelutions according to my favorite fan theory and personal headcanon).

I also prefer Ho-Oh in battle since it's a lot stronger offensively but also has a decent bulk to take some hits, Lugia is also good but it's more of a defensive Pokemon that does the best when stalling and I find that a bit boring compared to the Choice Band+Brave Bird/Sacred Fire destruction that Ho-Oh brings to the table.

Pixel64

Stan LOOΠΔ!
    Years
  • In terms of design, I've always loved Lugia. Although, Ho-Oh has the better battle theme.

Years
  • Ho-oh has my favorite battle theme and looks better to me design-wise, but Lugia is the one I'd actually use in battle.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    I like both of them. Lugia and ho oh are good battlers among me but my vote goes to lugia as I have played soulsilver

Raj

Pokemon Master
    Years
  • I always preferred Gold, and Hoho's design over Lugia's.

Similarly I like Hoho's lore way more than I do Lugia's, and found the Ruined tower one of my favorite parts of Pokemon Lore.

Really the only advantage Lugia has that stops it from being a complete sweep on Hoho's part, is the fact that he had a full movie to himself that was quite good. Meanwhile we've never really seen Hoho do anything.

Still I think I'll have to give it to Hoho.

Back