• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Charlottesville car attack

Years
  • http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40912509

Right-wingers, some armed, some chanting anti-Jewish slogans, had come to protest the removal of a pro-slavery Confederate "hero" in Charlottesville, Virginia (USA). Counter protesters, including some from Black Lives Matter, also showed up. Violence broke out and at some point this extremist plowed into a crowd, killing one person and injuring 19. The attacker has been captured by police.

Last edited:
    Years
  • The attacker was identified as James Alex Fields, a 20 y/o man who was allegedly booked Saturday on "suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding, failure to stop for an accident involving a death, and hit and run." He's currently being held without bail, and I think it goes without saying that this is really sad and tragic and watching the video footage of the incident made me disappointed and sad that we have come to this. I think that white nationalism is becoming an even bigger problem here in the U.S than before, and with Donald Trump winning the election, white nationalists all over the country are becoming more emboldened to take action and be more open about their views. Honestly all of this racial tension hurts everyone, and I just wish we could one day have peace.

Years
  • ^ I think he should condemn the white nationalist groups directly, but I don't think he will because he doesn't care. He also knows many of his followers are supporters of their actions.

Years
  • FYI, it's Charlottesville, Virginia, not North Carolina.

Honestly, let the people protest peacefully. I personally don't have a stance in the removal of the statue, but if this is not a case of domestic terrorism for what the suspect did to these protestors, then I am not sure what you could classify it as.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • ^ I think he should condemn the white nationalist groups directly, but I don't think he will because he doesn't care. He also knows many of his followers are supporters of their actions.

Should it be condemned though if it's in their constitutional rights to be able todo what they did?

Personal opinions aside, it's perfectly legal (to my knowledge.)

Years
  • Should it be condemned though if it's in their constitutional rights to be able todo what they did?

I don't think anyone means to condemn their right to protest per se, it's their ideology that is damning. Every time they raise their voices for the sake of their twisted ideology is another opportunity for them to be condemned.

It's not saying that they should be silenced, but that they deserve to be silenced.

Years
  • Should it be condemned though if it's in their constitutional rights to be able todo what they did?

Well I think it would be a pretty positive thing if the president openly stated that he doesn't support white supremacist groups. :)

Of course, they have the right to protest, but the problem I feel goes beyond that.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I don't think anyone means to condemn their right to protest per se, it's their ideology that is damning. Every time they raise their voices for the sake of their twisted ideology is another opportunity for them to be condemned.

It's not saying that they should be silenced, but that they deserve to be silenced.

I can't disagree with anything you're saying, don't get me wrong...but if you're the President of the United States and you're supposed to defend the rights of the people that are constitutionally given to them, how would you go about approaching the situation? Regardless of how you fee about Trump, that's a tricky situation to handle.

Years
  • I can't disagree with anything you're saying, don't get me wrong...but if you're the President of the United States and you're supposed to defend the rights of the people that are constitutionally given to them, how would you go about approaching the situation? Regardless of how you fee about Trump, that's a tricky situation to handle.

We all know that the US President is supposed to be non-partisan when it comes to times of such strife, but come on. Are white supremacy and naziism partisan issues? The US President is supposed to lead American and represent American values, values that entire generations fought and died for. If people cannot realize that and expect that the President should do better, then it's a sad day for the country indeed.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • We all know that the US President is supposed to be non-partisan when it comes to times of such strife, but come on. Are white supremacy and naziism partisan issues? The US President is supposed to lead American and represent American values, values that entire generations fought and died for. If people cannot realize that and expect that the President should do better, then it's a sad day for the country indeed.

It definitely would be a sad day for the country, most definitely. But still, threse are constitutional rights for these people that ultimately need to be upheld. Do I hate these supremicts? Absolutely. But if the President was to condemn these protests from occurring in the first place, I feel like it would be perceived as an infringement of basic Constitutional rights. No matter how the story is spun, it is a lose-lose situation for him.

There's nothing in the constitution that gives you the right to be a racist scumbag.
    Freedom of speech. Whether we like it or not - and I certainly don't like it - it's legal due to the First Amendment.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Freedom of speech. Whether we like it or not - and I certainly don't like it - it's legal due to the First Amendment.

I recommend you read the constitution before throwing around the terms "constitutional rights" and "free speech":

free_speech.png

Years
  • It definitely would be a sad day for the country, most definitely. But still, threse are constitutional rights for these people that ultimately need to be upheld. Do I hate these supremicts? Absolutely. But if the President was to condemn these protests from occurring in the first place, I feel like it would be perceived as an infringement of basic Constitutional rights. No matter how the story is spun, it is a lose-lose situation for him.

Uh, no? You're conflating the right to speech to the content of the speech itself. Is it out of the question for someone to both assert the right to peacefully demonstrate and at the same time denounce the cause for which they're demonstrating?

Years
  • Attacks like this are disgusting. To me, regardless of what the protest was about, even if it was about the most horrid of ideals, nobody deserves to be run down by a car on purpose. I don't know why this running down people with cars thing became a go-to method for attackers, but it has to stop.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I find this whole situation stupid, really I do. I find protesting in general stupid and a complete waste of time but screw it, let them protest like all the other protests that's happened in the last 4 years. People are acting like white supremacists rallies is a new thing, well it's not. Also Trump isn't to blame for these rallies because we've always had white supremacists, they were existing long before Trump was even born. Also, it's no different than the BLM protests which ended up in riots and destroying of communities. But that's okay right, it was for a good cause right? They have the right to express themselves right? Yet, as soon as Trump supporters and white supremacists do a protest everyone's outraged? Hmm. Double standards much? Jesus Christ humanity scares me. Can I just live on another planet now?

And btw this is all I'm going to say. I don't have time to argue with people

Last edited:
    Years
  • I find this whole situation stupid, really I do. I find protesting in general stupid and a complete waste of time but screw it, let them protest like all the other protests that's happened in the last 4 years. People are acting like white supremacists rallies is a new thing, well it's not. Also Trump isn't to blame for these rallies because we've always had white supremacists, they were existing long before Trump was even born. Also, it's no different than the BLM protests which ended up in riots and destroying of communities. But that's okay right, it was for a good cause right? They have the right to express themselves right? Yet, as soon as Trump supporters and white supremacists do a protest everyone's outraged? Hmm. Double standards much? Jesus Christ humanity scares me. Can I just live on another planet now?

And btw this is all I'm going to say. I don't have time to argue with people

I wonder what you have to say about the comparison between BLM and literally Nazis.

noa

sleeping cutie
    Years
  • Also, it's no different than the BLM protests which ended up in riots and destroying of communities. But that's okay right, it was for a good cause right? They have the right to express themselves right?
    BLM protests = we're tired of being murdered because of prejudice towards our skin color.
    White supremacist "rallies" = we're tired of being judged because we want to eradicate people with different skin colors.

Yup, totally the same

Back