• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you happy with your work?

Years
  • Pretty much what it says. Are you happy with your current project(s)? Are you content with your skill as a writer?

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Pretty much what it says. Are you happy with your current project(s)? Are you content with your skill as a writer?

I'm pleased that I'm at my best writing form to my knowledge and I'm also happy that my work has a direction even if conceptually I have a lot to think about and all for filling in things. I would say it feels great to be making deeper progress and I'm pleased with what I have made even if I plan to polish it sometime in the future due to things pointed out to me or discovered.

Besides, anything is better than the dumpster fire that was the first draft heh.

Bay

Years
  • My mood can switch in an instant. Some days I'm not happy with my current project for various reasons, like how the pacing, prose, and worldbuilding could be so much stronger. On some days, I do like some stuff I have going on and I'm excited for what plans I have next for the story. My writing skills I still think isn't good compare to other folks I know, but I liked to think I had improved even if just a tiny bit.

Cid

Years
  • I've never written for PC, I think. But from what I've written in the past, I feel like I can always improve it when I read it back. That's why it's important to allow yourself to just put your work out there without reading and revising it over and over, trying to make it perfect. You'll improve as you go; it's really unnecessary to be so hard on yourself. Of course, when submitting important entries for contests or publishing, that's when you bring your A-game. But outside of that, don't worry about it. Be happy with your work.

edit: I say that, yet here I am nitpicking my own response, haha. I still have to practice what I preach sometimes.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • honestly i haven't been happy with my writing that much as of late. i have the same tricks up my sleeve and tend to use a lot of the same words and phrases. my writing for fan fics is not as strong as my roleplay writing. juggling more than one character gets me to trip up, make a lot of repeats, and i find that i don't get that strong character focus that i enjoy in roleplay. i'll get it eventually, but right now i'm just blah.

i am pretty pleased with my latest fic though, despite all that. can't believe i found a way to make nail painting interesting. lol

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i do find myself a fairly good writer. however i do find there are some things i have written that i am proud of and some that aren't understandably. i find some of my works better than others as obviously my writing skills have improved over time since i first started writing.

i am content with my skill as a writer but i do feel as if i could be better.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm happy with most RP posts I write. Generally, solo stories too. I've many times read back old posts and stories I've saved and been slightly amazed and amused at how enjoyable it was. So I think I'm a fan of my own writing, haha.

Years
  • Yes and no?
    There's a lot I'm really happy with, but in some ways that makes the things I need to improve on painfully obvious to me. I'm content with how my casual writing here on PC is going at last, and I'm not bothered as such by the quality of my serious work, but I won't be fully satisfied until I've improved in the areas I'm weaker in.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I'm not too happy to be honest, but it's less about the writing and the work proper and more about the costs and decisions it carries as of late.

Fanfic writing and worldbuilding is, much to my chagrin, not my main line of work, not the one that pays. That means it has to compete against other activities for my spare time, for my mental health and for my mood. As of late all three have been rather scarce. Moreover, much as I enjoy researching some things for writing, veering too far / too deep into other fields takes an amount of time and effort that these days I can not justify.

As a result, my skills are at the moment frozen and I don't really see a clear path forward.

At the moment my current feelings about my writing are that it's the kind of lovely chore that I'd actually love to get back to, contrasted to all of the other non-lovely chores around.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Yes and no. Like, I try to be happy with my work... but there are times when anxiety kicks in and says bad stuff. "oh you'll never finish that" or "that's going to be too much for you" stuff like that. I've always tried to be confident in my ideas. I am, but it's just that when I plan and try to write them... I feel like they just aren't good enough or something. It's gotten to the point where I've actually posted them very little online because people read them and walk away. It's a little discouraging to me because I want to at least be told to keep going. I'm driven by what people say because it makes me confident in myself. I don't know why. Like, I can have my friends read my work... and they praise me. Yet, it's not the same kind of praise as some random person commenting. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling pure nonsense here...

Bay

Years
  • Yes and no. Like, I try to be happy with my work... but there are times when anxiety kicks in and says bad stuff. "oh you'll never finish that" or "that's going to be too much for you" stuff like that. I've always tried to be confident in my ideas. I am, but it's just that when I plan and try to write them... I feel like they just aren't good enough or something. It's gotten to the point where I've actually posted them very little online because people read them and walk away. It's a little discouraging to me because I want to at least be told to keep going. I'm driven by what people say because it makes me confident in myself. I don't know why. Like, I can have my friends read my work... and they praise me. Yet, it's not the same kind of praise as some random person commenting. Does that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling pure nonsense here...

I think I get it. Like, you expect your friends to always be supportive while a comment from someone else will be their genuine feelings.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I think I get it. Like, you expect your friends to always be supportive while a comment from someone else will be their genuine feelings.
    Absolutely this. Randos have no obligation to comment on your stuff, whereas friends who offer to read your stuff do. And obviously your friends wouldn't want to hurt your feelings, so they're more likely to sugarcoat. A stranger doesn't give two about you and your feelings, so if they comment something pleasant, it feels more impactful. Same with if they comment something unpleasant. If they're not a troll, they're probably just being truthful without regard to how it'll make you feel.

This is also how I feel about compliments and such irl, but that's got nothing to do with writing and everything to do with poor self-esteem xD

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I think I get it. Like, you expect your friends to always be supportive while a comment from someone else will be their genuine feelings.

Yeah. That's exactly true! It's like it doesn't really matter how supportive they are. Like, I kind of expect that from them... especially since they also aren't writers. That's why I prefer actual writers to give me some pointers, comment on what they enjoyed... even if it's just saying how much my MC and love interest work together for example, you know?

Back