• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you be in favor of a Silver and Gold remake?

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    Hi everyone. For the next Pokemon game I am not 100% sure what they are coming out with. I recently watched a video on YouTube where someone speculated the next logical remake would be Silver and Gold.
    They already remade Red, Blue, and Yellow with Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee. If they remade Gold and Silver I would personally be in favor of that.
    Does anybody else like this idea or would you rather something different?

Years
    • Seen today
    Gold and Silver already have remakes. Besides, remaking Johto would also mean remaking Kanto... again.

Even when it comes to Pokémon roster, most of the Pokémon you find during a Johto playthrough are actually Pokémon from Kanto by a large margin, because the Gen 2 games were originally designed as sequels.

I'm personally not interested in more remakes, so it would be fine if they stopped at BDSP. In fact, some players may even wish they stopped after ORAS.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I'm not very interested in second Gold/Silver remakes myself, especially not if they're going to be Let's Go style, though I get that people might want one since HG/SS is somewhat dated at this point and some like LGPE

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • As stated many times above already, we already have G/S remakes. Yes, they're dated now, but that's just the way it goes when time passes. A second remake of G/S would need to be a modern, reimagining and not just the standard ol' boring, cheap 2.5D treatment that it would most likely get. Otherwise it's a big pass for me. Between LGP/E and BD/SP, they have really been very underwhelming in the remake category as of late. Either go all out in the remake or don't even bother. These cheap 2.5D remakes do not do the originals justice.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Not really. Would not mind revisiting Johto, to be clear. Needs more than a graphics update and Generation 9 mechanics. Gave gym leaders like Morty Gastly, Haunter, Haunter, and Gengar. Dealt with levels jumping all over the place and poor options for grinding. Designed places like Sprout Tower, home of 14 Bellsprouts on trainers (plus two Hoothoots).

Wants something like Johto, 24 years later. (Released in late 1999.) Restores the Brass Tower to its former glory. (Could be a new plot point: convince Lugia to return.) Battles Whitney's kid (who also cries). Meets a more mature Clair. Updates the radio to play Pokemon songs from various other generations (and maybe modernize the radio a little?). Enables you to call trainers you defeat to join you on your journey. Asks for things like that.

Oh, and not a Let's Go, please. Did not play Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee, for the record. Looked too simplified.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Honestly, yes, I do want a modernized G/S remake. I'd like it to actually be more faithful to Crystal, though; I didn't like what Game Freak did with Eusine in HG/SS, for example, so I'd like them to keep things the way they used to be in the original GB games.

I agree that what we really need is a Kanto/Johto sequel, though. I'm still wondering what happened to the rest of the characters not named Red and Blue in the years between G/S/C/HG/SS and S/V.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Unless there's no Kanto, absolutely not. We can do without another Johto remake. Unless it's a significant change from the originals (like giving more of the Gym Leaders Johto Pokemon) no thanks. I'm good.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    In response to the "There's already Heartgold and Soul Silver comments: I already know and I've played those. Allegedly Ruby and Sapphire versions have remakes but I could never find those. I even wonder if they were released in the U.S.
    That's why I was confused when Diamond and Pearl were recently remade.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    In response to the "There's already Heartgold and Soul Silver comments: I already know and I've played those. Allegedly Ruby and Sapphire versions have remakes but I could never find those. I even wonder if they were released in the U.S.
    That's why I was confused when Diamond and Pearl were recently remade.

Yes. Owns a copy of Omega Ruby (physical). Supposedly sold 1.5 million copies (physical and digital) in the United States within the first ten days of release. Sees them on the 3DS E-shop still for $39.99. (May be far back in the list. Searched "Pokemon". Popped up on page 4 or 5.)

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • A Legends Arceus type of Johto game would be brilliant considering how much history the region has, we could witness the early days of Raikou, Suicune and Entei, the time if the events only take 150 years prior....

Or some deeper lore about Ho-Oh and Lugia If there'd be a story from further back in time.

Although right now a Legends Kyurem seems more likely and I'm personally more keen on something like that as well

Yet i wonder if TPC would want to make a series of Legends games.

Although to be honest the legends games are exactly what i thought of as a kid... something i wanted to play was a pokémon world in the past

Years
  • If it's just an improved HGSS then no, not really.
    I wouldn't be opposed to a Let's Go Johto, but it's not really something I'm waiting/hoping for either.
    A legends game set in Johto could be nice though, assuming they make improvements to the Legends gameplay.

Years
  • It will be hard to top HGSS, but I would still enjoy a remake. Johto is one of my favorite regions to replay and seeing it in full 3D like SV would be lovely - provided it has enough time for development to iron out major issues. Seeing my precious Johto starters again will always be ❤️ to me

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I am not interested in another Gold and Silver remake. Instead, as I mentioned in an older thread of mine in Pokémon Gaming Central, I believe Game Freak should focus less on remakes and more on making completely new games that take place in previous regions. Thus, instead of getting another Gold and Silver remake, I want a completely new game that takes place in Johto with a completely new storyline, characters, and possibly even newly discovered legendaries and mythicals! That way, we can see how the Johto region changed over time and how older characters such as Gym Leaders, Elite Four, iconic trainers such as Youngster Joey, and so on are doing today. How is Professor Elm doing nowadays? What new discoveries did Mr. Pokémon make? New legendaries perhaps? Are the Gym Leaders of the past still in their positions? Did Eusine ever find Suicune? Remakes don't give us this continuity. They just give us better graphics with the same old story. Making a completely new game in old regions would breathe more life and continuity in the games while giving us the chance to explore old regions in a new way.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Not particularly, Heartgold and Soulsilver are absolutely splendid and I don't think they can be topped. I'd much rather receive a generation 5 remake.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    I am not interested in another Gold and Silver remake. Instead, as I mentioned in an older thread of mine in Pokémon Gaming Central, I believe Game Freak should focus less on remakes and more on making completely new games that take place in previous regions. Thus, instead of getting another Gold and Silver remake, I want a completely new game that takes place in Johto with a completely new storyline, characters, and possibly even newly discovered legendaries and mythicals! That way, we can see how the Johto region changed over time and how older characters such as Gym Leaders, Elite Four, iconic trainers such as Youngster Joey, and so on are doing today. How is Professor Elm doing nowadays? What new discoveries did Mr. Pokémon make? New legendaries perhaps? Are the Gym Leaders of the past still in their positions? Did Eusine ever find Suicune? Remakes don't give us this continuity. They just give us better graphics with the same old story. Making a completely new game in old regions would breathe more life and continuity in the games while giving us the chance to explore old regions in a new way.

Right, but if the game strays too far from the original that's when people start saying "It's not the same anymore."
    I thought that Scarlet and Violet was an example of a "completely new game," but that's just my opinion.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Right, but if the game strays too far from the original that's when people start saying "It's not the same anymore."
    I thought that Scarlet and Violet was an example of a "completely new game," but that's just my opinion.

That's the point I was making. I want something completely different rather than just a remake.

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2023
    That's the point I was making. I want something completely different rather than just a remake.

OK, I think I understand. I was confused about how new characters would work but you're talking about keeping just the iconic ones.
    My bad.

Years
  • I haven't played Let's GO, but they aren't too bad imo, especially because most of us aren't the actual target of the game.
    However, I think that with Let's GO games they mainly took inspiration from Pokemon Yellow as far as I remember. That said, this means that more than just gold and silver, we would get something more Pokemon crystal oriented and I would totally be in favour of that. I like photo games and, despite already having their remakes, it's been a while since a new game based in Jhoto came out. Also, I feel like more than remakes, they're more like "reboots" and I like that and would like to see that with Pokemon crystal.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • OK, I think I understand. I was confused about how new characters would work but you're talking about keeping just the iconic ones.
    My bad.

You're good. I just feel that we need something new. I think that remakes are overdone these days. I think that making new games that take place in previous regions would be better for the franchise.

Back