• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Orange Islands

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2020
    Really appreciate the design that you can get Ash's Pokémons right off the bat. This let me construct a team right away.

Marx321

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 28, 2023
    I completed this game than Pokémon Ash gray!
    I love it!
    Whats the difference with this from Sunset Orange?

Years
    • Seen today
    @Marx321

Well, one of the differences is that this is pretty much completed. Not even going to mention any other differences.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2020
    Such an awesome hack... Completely loved it.. great work.. kuddos for your effort..

May i know what I'll get on completion of pokedex?

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2022
    Maybe I'm not late to comment on this. At first, I really liked this, better than the official releases, being cleverly and carefully put together. I was going to provide input, as I really appreciate the author's displayed perfectionism, but it seems that this might be limited to the tools that it uses, such as the "PokeGame" shown in the introduction, once I looked up what it was. Thus, the author can't do whatever they want with this game, as they would be able with an original game, but rather, the author is probably limited to only being able to choose things like what any text string says or what any sprite is, while always leaving the base of the game unable to be changed. Most changes that would require something that isn't just replacing some text or some sprite, the author shouldn't be able to do them, which is why the game is left practically unchanged in those aspects in comparison to the original. With this in mind, it won't be useful to make suggestions for things that are out of scope. It would be pointless to suggest things that the tools used don't allow changing. Regarding what seems to be able to be changed, what stands out to me is that the linguistic level of the writing isn't too good, abundantly lacking punctuation and using an abbreviated speech best not used, besides sometimes giving an inappropriate style of speech to some of the characters (for example, the elderly don't speak like the youth). You would need all of the writing to be copy-edited, namely for proper punctuation. I could better explain these things, although with a lot of work. What bugged me is not knowing more precisely what's within reach to be changed and what isn't. I guess that I would still probably recommend this over an official release... :)

Years
    • Seen today
    @The Phenomenon

Glad you liked it;)

Since I don't have any experience using ASM or the decompilation projects I'm indeed limited in stuff I'm able to change. Nevertheless, nearly every text string in the game should be perfectly editable. I'm not a native English speaker, neither have I lived in an English speaking country. My academic studies were mostly in English though, so my English should be fine. But I don't really have knowledge about jargon, English ''from the street'' or differences in English between young and old people.

Either way, I'm not really planning any new release anymore since the game is completed storywise. If there are multiple undeniably wrong sentences/words in the game I might eventually release a bugfix. In all honestly, I think most of them have been fixed between Beta 1 and 5.5 so I'm not really planning on that. I only expect to release a bugfixed version if anyone can help me fix the bugs mentioned in the ''Bugs''-section of the main post.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2022
    Alright. I will just leave noted down here a couple of the more clear errors, just in case some new version is ever released.
    -- The first thing that Brock says is "We're currently taking a small break and stock up on supplies." It's "stocking up."
    -- Somewhere early in the game it's said "Use SELECT to switch items in the ITEMS window." It's "sort" or "arrange," not "switch."
    -- Generally, what the game might be calling an "attack" is actually a "move." Reflect and Light Screen aren't "attacks." They do no damage, there's no attack. The name "move" covers you everything and is what people use.
    I can't help but leave a couple of other things written down here as well...
    -- This is a bug: "diagonal" interior building corners should not be present in the buildings that don't have matching exterior "diagonal" corner walls. The outside needs to match the inside, as in the official releases. This bug seems to affect Pokémon Centers, and so it's quite probable that there might be some technical limitation, if Pokémon Centers are all the same on the inside. One of the Pokémon Centers won't actually ever match its nearly circular outside, however.
    -- A Pokémon's level is one of the most important things to know during a battle (unfortunately). However, it's pretty hard to read the text that indicates the level in FireRed and LeafGreen. Despite being on the GameBoy Advance, the text is harder to read than on the original releases for the GameBoy. I discovered that it's not as much of an issue in the original Japanese versions, where the levels of Pokémon are displayed in bold, as it's logical. Even the hit points are displayed in bold. There's information about that here (can't parse links): tcrf.net/Pok%C3%A9mon_FireRed_and_LeafGreen#Battles. Thus, even if it means writing just "L" instead of "lv" for space, it would be great to use bold text. It might be out of the Orange Islands' programming capabilities.

Years
    • Seen today
    @The Phenomenon

- Probably, thanks.
    - This is the exact same text as used in the official games, not going to change it.
    - Also used in the official games, not going to change it.
    - I get what you mean, but not going to change it either. I want to resemble the buildings in the anime in which the buildings can be more circular. You can make it work quite well to make such a building in the outside overworld in combination with movement permissions. On the inside, however this doesn't work well with movement permission and would be annoying to navigate. That's why I chose this way. But agreed, it's a little uncomprehensive. Nevertheless, it's also done in the official games in which it never bothered me personally. For example check the Pokemon Tower in Fire Red.
    - It's perfectly possible to do this, but I'm not going to. To me, the way Fire Red did it is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    @sap_poke

Thanks, glad you like it!

You can find a Helix fossil by rock smashing the rocks in the bay cave.

After bringing two fossils back to life on Moro Island, talk to Nurse Joy on Fukuhara Island for an Old Amber.

Back