• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Pokémon names you've struggled to write or pronounce correctly before?

Years
  • I thought Toxtricity was written as Toxitricity for the longest time, and was so shocked when I looked closer and it was actually Toxtricity haha. Took me at least 6 months to a year after SwSh release to notice. Now I look back on what I thought it was, and wonder why I thought that since Toxitricity just sounds so....bad to say now compared to the actual name.

Anyone else have similar situations with certain Pokémon names?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • While I remember every Pokemon exists, some of the Pokemon past generation six are hard to pronounce. Xerneas? Yveltal? forget about it, lmfao, when I first saw that name I was worried about the younger kids playing! "How will they be able to pronounce this, it looks so hard to say!"

Also, shout out to Arceus, pronounced that wrong as a kid.

I usually pronounce quite a few Pokemon names wrong until the anime corrects me, to be honest, like I pronounced it RAI-KOO until I learned it was "RAI-KOU and there's so many more. The Pokemon names that are left in Japanese in English are the strongest contenders for me saying them wrong. Even though I now am p good pronouncing Japanese (or at least trying) I still definitely get names that are still left in Japanese in English poorly until I hear it in the anime for the first time.

Years
  • While I remember every Pokemon exists, some of the Pokemon past generation six are hard to pronounce. Xerneas? Yveltal? forget about it, lmfao, when I first saw that name I was worried about the younger kids playing! "How will they be able to pronounce this, it looks so hard to say!"

Also, shout out to Arceus, pronounced that wrong as a kid.

I usually pronounce quite a few Pokemon names wrong until the anime corrects me, to be honest, like I pronounced it RAI-KOO until I learned it was "RAI-KOU and there's so many more. The Pokemon names that are left in Japanese in English are the strongest contenders for me saying them wrong. Even though I now am p good pronouncing Japanese (or at least trying) I still definitely get names that are still left in Japanese in English poorly until I hear it in the anime for the first time.

This lol
    I'm fairly confident I'm saying most of them wrong xD

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Well, if you want to count the ones I pronounce incorrectly on pure principle, lol, because I know full well I'm saying it wrong, but the correct way sounds worse to me.

Like Illumise.
    It's a glow bug and you're telling me that I shouldn't say "ILL-loom-EES", but rather "EE-loom-ee-ZAY"?

And Rayquaza.
    He is "RAY-kwah-zuh" to me, not "RAY-KWAY-zuh". I understand that it's meant to be tied to the word quasar (KWAY-zar) because that's a thing in space and he inhabits the ozone layer close to space but it just sounds KWAY-zee.

Years
  • he Pokemon names that are left in Japanese in English are the strongest contenders for me saying them wrong.

ahahaha if I wasn't such a weeb I'd probably feel the same... :D;;;

Like Illumise.
    It's a glow bug and you're telling me that I shouldn't say "ILL-loom-EES", but rather "EE-loom-ee-ZAY"?

Oh yeah, this is a bit of an odd one. I can say both and the latter does sound prettier, but the first pronunciation is just...more comfortable to say + sounds the best.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    So many.

Struggled with spelling Gyarados for a long time. Fixed it after typing enough times. Definitely pronounced more than the following incorrectly at some point. Adjusted after hearing the correct way...sometimes. Listed those that stuck.

Spelling
    - Victreebel. Kept the double 'l' in Bellsprout and Weepinbell, but not Victreebel. Spells it without the second 'e' sometimes, due to not remembering which letter to drop.
    - Flaaffy. Doubled both letters, for some reason. Usually spells it "Flaffy", but sometimes "Flaafy" too.
    - Drilbur. Doubles the 'l' sometimes. Catches that most of the time.
    - Alomomola. Spells it as "Alolomola" or "Alolamola". Sometimes pronounces it correctly regardless. Put it under this heading for that reason.
    - Trevenant. Messes up -ent and -ant all the time. Tends to be more successful with Greedent. Sticks with 'e's all the way through.
    - Torracat. Replaces the 'c' with a 'k'.

Pronunciation
    - Suicune. "Sue eh coon"
    - Milotic. "My low tick".
    - Rayquaza. Echoes Geewithabee's Ray-kwah-zuh.
    - Weavile. "We vill". Gets this correct sometimes.
    - Scizor. "Sie zor". Sees sci-. Thinks "science". Prefers that over "scissor", honestly.
    - Arceus. "Arc ee us"
    - Cohagrigus. Drops the second 'g' for "co fag ree us". Says "Runerigus" correctly, though. Started to get this one correct more. (Wondered if that word might get changed. Seems so.)
    - Aegislash. "Eye gih slash" or "Ay gih slash".
    - Solgaleo. "Sole gah lay oh".
    - Skwovet. "Scoh vet". Drops the 'w'. Refuses to parse those three consonants together, apparently.

Both
    - Salamence. Spells it and pronounces it as "Salamance". Suffers the same here as with -ent and -ant. Affects the pronunciation more.
    - Gliscor. Drops the 'c' for some reason. Rhymes with Scizor.
    - Helioptile. Drops the 'p'.
    - Vivillon. Spells it as "Vivillion". Rhymes with "million".

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't know how to spell most of them and paste the names into google all the time to correct my spelling.

I also don't know how to pronounce nihilego and change the way I say it fairly often.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I don't know how to spell most of them and paste the names into google all the time to correct my spelling.

I also don't know how to pronounce nihilego and change the way I say it fairly often.

I think Nihilego is pronounced like nile ego but I still like saying it my way (nee hee lego)

Let's see... only found out a year or 2 ago that it's spelled Phanpy and Mesprit and not Phanphy and Mespirit.
    I'm agreeing with Devalue, I forget how to spell Flaaffy sometimes.
    Also agreeing with Palamon, the Japanese names are hard to say. I also said Raikou like "rai koo" and Entei as "en tie". These 2 are the only reason I know that "ou" is pronounced as O and "ei" is pronounced as A in Japanese.
    I still say Arceus as "are see us" instead of "ark ee us" because I'm a stubborn mule.
    I think I said Chimecho as chime cho instead of chime echo
    I butchered the hell out of Suicune when I was little... my brother said is as soo cee nee so that's what I said too. My friend had no idea what Pokemon I was talking about lol
    This isn't a Pokemon, but I thought Ghetsis was spelled without the H (so Getsis) and even then, somehow I pronounced it as Jeetis. It took me probably a year to figure that out.

I'm sure there are more but I'll stop here.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I don't know how to spell most of them and paste the names into google all the time to correct my spelling.

me, too, at first. But, I think it's pronounced ny-hi-leego? Like Bill Nye the Science Guy. Before hearing the anime say it, I'd say Nih-hi-leego.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Cofagrigus, because I sometimes accidentally emphasize part of the name that this site censors. I now think it's pronounced "cof-egregious," but that 10-character limit really hurts a Pokémon like Cofagrigus. God forbid you ask me how to pronounce "Phione."

I used to spell Typhlosion as Thyplosion a lot. I've also struggled to correctly spell some of the Generation VIII Pokémon like Skwovet and Arrokuda.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Cofagrigus, because the I sometimes accidentally emphasize part of the name that this site censors. I now think it's pronounced "cof-egregious," but that 10-character limit really hurts a Pokémon like Cofagrigus. God forbid you ask me how to pronounce "Phione."

I used to spell Typhlosion as Thyplosion too a lot. I've struggled to correctly spell some of the Generation VIII Pokémon like Skwovet and Arrokuda.

Phione is "Fee-oh-nay," I believe!!

Garbodor puzzles me. There are two pronunciations that I'm aware of and I'm not certain whether it's "Garb-odour" or "Garb-oh-door?" I prefer the latter, personally.

Regice is another one. I'm not sure if it's "Reg-ice" or "Reggie-Ice." I personally prefer the latter and that is what I refer to it as.

Seviper also has me dumbfounded. I believe it's pronounced "Sev-iper" but I commonly call it "Sv-iper," failing to pronounce the "e" altogether.

I call Alomomola "Alomola" I always fail to remember the "mo." It's just quite a peculiar name in general, so I cut myself some slack.

I have no clue whether Aromatisse is "Aroma-tiss" or "Aroma-tiss-eh." The "e" on the end admittedly throws me off.

Bouffalant. I say "Boof-uh-lant." But I'm unsure if that is correct. I just go with it.

Pidove. Is it "Pee-dove?" Or "Pih-dove?" OR "Pie-dove?"

Last edited:

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I thought "Phanpy" was spelled "Phanphy" for the longest time! :/ I don't like the real spelling as much, either...

For some reason I always feel like "Palossand" should have two Ls, even though I know it doesn't make sense with the "palace" etymology. (See, I did it while writing this and had to go back and correct it!)

I sort of have a tendency to pronounce some Pokemon names with...less emphasized? vowels even when it doesn't fit with the etymology, e.g. "fur-alligator" instead of "fair-alligator", "tox-uh-pex" instead of "tox-ay-pex"...
    Also, I'm just now realizing that I sorta just inconsistently oscillate between thinking "Dracozolt" "Dracovish" should have a long A or a short one? Huh.

Actually, I'm pretty sure I even call my favorite Pokemon by a slightly wrong name...Like, I've heard "Necrozma" with a long O, and that's pretty much how the "necro" prefix is supposed to be pronounced, but - I just prefer it with a short O (so basically, like how you'd pronounce Princess Ozma from the Wizard of Oz), okay?? Lol

I have no clue whether Aromatisse is "Aroma-tiss" or "Aroma-tiss-eh." The "e" on the end admittedly throws me off.
    To confuse the matter further, I've always thought it was "Aroma-tees", like the I in "boutique" or "artiste"...

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • There are a lot more, including a few of the above and calling Dunsparce and Chinchou "Dunsparence" and "Chinkachu" in the early days of my Pokémon journey, but these are my more recent/current ones:

• I still have trouble with the Jangmo-o line, like wanting to call Hakamo-o "Kommo-o" and Kommo-o "Kommo-o-o."
    • Stakataka: "Stakalaka"
    • Thought Pincurchin was "Pinurchin" up until this very moment. O_O

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Phanpy and Phanphy.. I just, I don't know my brain is broken with that one.

Years
  • I used to pronounce Growlithe as Grow (as in plants growing) - Lahyth (think light, but with a -th at the end). I also used to think Ledyba had an extra y in between b and a, and said it as Ledeebyuh for the longest time.

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
    Years
  • I still am pronouncing mawile as "Ma will" Yet you pronounce it as "Ma while". How i pronounce it sounds better to me.

Back