• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Huh? Chansey stopped evolving!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Have you ever pressed the b button to stop an evolution in a Pokemon game before? If so, what Pokemon were they?

Yes, solo run challenges count. Btw, it should be noted stone evolutions cannot be stopped with B.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Raboot, Buizel, and Piplup! I absolutely adore all of these pokemon and while I did eventually evolve them, I delayed it for quite some time so I could enjoy them more!

Last edited:

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    With Lotad just bc it needed some better moves b4 evolving.

Years
  • yes! can't exactly remember which though. I mostly did this for mons that learn better moves before evolving, or to speed up the process of getting a move before evolution if I really wanted it early.

Years
  • Raboot, Buizel, and Piplup! I absolutely adore all of these pokemon and while I did eventually evolve them, I delayed it for quite some time so I could enjoy them more!

I was the same for Buizel in my last playthrough of Platinum, I absolutely love that Pokemon so decided to keep it around for a few more levels! I sometimes do that with a few other Pokemon as well, but generally, I'll stop others evolving just so they can learn some new moves.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Plenty of times! A remember not evolving Poliwag back in the day because I did it once and thought the Whirl/Wrath evos were ugly, lol. I've also withheld evolution stones from Pokémon just because I wanted to play through the game with hyper over leveled Eevee / Pikachu / Vulpix / etc.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Unless I needed to complete the Dex, I'd always press B when my Charjabug were to evolve (Not that this matters in Gen VIII). Can't say I've really ever pressed B since then.

pkmin3033

I used to do this all the time in older games, because base stage Pokemon learned more powerful moves at an earlier level and I thought this was a good thing. Then I learned patience with grinding and just let them evolve immediately so that they'd have better stats.

But I also refused to let Rowlet evolve in Moon because I can't stand Dartrix or Decidueye.

Years
    • Seen today
    Not really. I'd rather have the stat boosts, so I don't stop Pokemon from evolving. But if I can't evolve because of trade or some reason I'll just use eviolite.

Years
    • Seen today
    Yes, for many reasons. I like using Baton Pass in-game so regularly make Eevee hold out until lv. 36, and often find that due to the ease of passage in early phases of a game I don't get enough time with my starter so delay their evolution (in my two saves this year I evolve at lv. 20 and lv. 40). Occasionally I just don't like an evolved form so I don't use it - my Platinum team from my most recent save a few years back has lv. 70+ Munchlax (bred with Curse) and Buizel as I often used Snorlax and don't like Floatzel.
    In my early days playing I never stopped an evolution though, as back then the games were challenging for me (physical / special types aren't explained in-game so Emerald was tough until I discovered this site).

Years
  • i... don't think so? not intentionally, i don't think. i don't recall, anyway. if i have, it was probably just to see the dialogue that comes up after i've stopped the evolution, but i dont think i've stopped evolution for any one particular reason other than that.

Years
  • If I know a Pokemon learns certain moves at an earlier level than they do after evolving (or even moves they wouldn't learn otherwise), then I'll hold them off from evolving for a little while. Most recent one I can think of was holding back Raboot until it learned Bounce, because I think it was another 8 levels or something until it would learn it as Cinderace, and it wasn't one of the feature Pokemon in my party, so I didn't worry about it being a little weaker than the rest of the team.

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • We've done that a couple times to get Pokemon to learn moves, but the first game that we kept a Pokemon at the first stage the entire run was Pokemon Shield because we did not like any of the final starters. It was actually a fun challenge to play through while never evolving your starter, but unfortunately the Gigantamax moves all looked awkward :v

Back