• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Priorities as you age.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • Well, I am 25 this year. I made up my mind on stopping my Yugioh cards buying, as well as the Poke'special mangas. I even have the urge to discard them (Trust me, they're not worth anything here). I used to be so avid, buying my cards, and making sure I stalk Chuangyi (And now Shogankukan) for the manga translation to be out so I can buy the comics...

As I was thinking... I have started to just buy only 10$ T-shirts (Unless it's the Chinese New Year) once in a while, only buying 1 version of the Pokemon games (And they only have new games every 2-3 years anyway)...

That really made me wonder, how have your priorities changed over the years? For me, reality had made me decide on the changes, but if I could help it I'll still do the same.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Priorities certainly have changed for me, between high school and university, between university and now. Back then, I cared so much about what people thought of me, and I really struggled to try and be part of the "coolkids" while still deep down wishing I could buy pokémon cards and play World of Warcraft with the "geeks". Seriously. At university, when teenage stereotypes started to blur and fade since we were all pretty much intelligent dorks for studying to be engineers anyways, I figured that it was more important to be proud and social than to be "cool". But now, as I've graduated, found a job, moved towns... The allure of getting drunk in huge crowds isn't appealing to me anymore. I'd much rather do something sweet with my closest friends than go out and be overly social with strangers. It really is a change, that happened gradually over the past year. It's not a bad change though, I'm truly more happy like this.

Interestingly, to contrast the OPer, I've started to buy pokémon games again after a 13 year gap (; Thinking of buying some manga or at least a cool poster to put on my wall also, featuring pokémon. I still care a bit too much about what others think of me sometimes, but as long as I'm living a life in which I can be proud of myself, there's no reason to hide that pride from others.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I was never one of those who really cared what others thought of me. You either like me or you don't. I know I've gotten to be much more grown up since my Dad passed away 8 years ago. I had to go from Daddy's Little Girl to Adult real quick because now it's just Mom and I. Hell I'll be 29 in less than a month and I still play Pokemon because that is what I grew up on. Things have changed and sadly there's nothing you can do to stop it as much as you want to. I won't stop being me because of time.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    my priorities have steadily gotten less about enjoyment and experiencing things and more about subsisting through the day, week, month etc. improvement and joy come at a cost that i tend to have to weigh up, as i typically don't have the luxury of choosing to mix both. do i want to have good time or do i want to have money for this specific bill? can i go out and live a little or should i raise my siblings like i've done my whole life? will i have dinner with a friend or wallow in myself and wish that i had? that last one is more me being trapped by own mindset. i suppose all this sounds so drearily adult of me, but it's not adulthood. in any case, my priorities in life have kinda devolved to a point where i focus on nothing but getting through the day and pissing my time away if there is time available. not improving, not having any real priority aside from what i want for dinner that night. spending all my time trying to keep my brain focused and not drifting back to the good old friend that is suicidal ideation. it's very tiring having to plan your day around keeping unwanted mindsets at bay. no time for self-improvement when you're too busy making sure your barricades don't collapse. the point is that i don't really have any life 'priorities' aside from getting through the monotony of the day. i might have misunderstood the op. i'm sorry about that. but i guess it's cathartic nonetheless.

Years
  • I don't have the time to indulge all my interests like I once did so I've had to just stop some of them. Sad, but I'd make myself crazy trying to hold on to all of them.

I also used to want to be all activist and get involved in solving problems, but now I have to focus on solving my own problems because I can't really ignore them anymore.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I'm still very much of a child, despite being 27. I refuse to grow up unless there comes a time in my life when it's mandatory. When that day comes, I'm sure I probably will. :P I still sleep with stuffed toys, sleep with the light on, collect stuffed animals and whatever. I just don't like the idea of growing up because it frightens me. ;o;

Bay

Years
  • I too noticed how my priorities changed during certain life phases. Like Rika, I wanted to be more social and then after I graduated like Harley I see myself wondering should I spend a little to treat myself or save the money for a rainy day/bills.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I've just become more and more involved in pokemon. Not really the anime but the games. I never used to get both versions, now I always do.
    Maybe some personality changes as well, but other than that, not really. I still have most of my stuff from a couple years back.

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2019
    Well, I am 25 this year. I made up my mind on stopping my Yugioh cards buying, as well as the Poke'special mangas. I even have the urge to discard them (Trust me, they're not worth anything here). I used to be so avid, buying my cards, and making sure I stalk Chuangyi (And now Shogankukan) for the manga translation to be out so I can buy the comics...

As I was thinking... I have started to just buy only 10$ T-shirts (Unless it's the Chinese New Year) once in a while, only buying 1 version of the Pokemon games (And they only have new games every 2-3 years anyway)...

That really made me wonder, how have your priorities changed over the years? For me, reality had made me decide on the changes, but if I could help it I'll still do the same.
    Of course they changed and I think that they continue to do that :) It's a normal thing while aging and getting more experience about life in my opinion :)
    I think that I've become much more independent person comparing to what I was three years ago :) That's mainly because I moved from my parents and started to work so I needed to learn a lot of new for myself in this way. For example, now I understood the value of work and money, also of the education, now these things are more important for me than earlier. It's also about my health and the control of my time, I am still learning how to live in fact, how make different plans and make them real... Not an easy task sometimes but rather interesting :)
    Anyway I'm still a "child" in some ways :) For example, I buy for my collection the albums of my favourite music bands and dye my hair in the unusual colours like here and I still can enjoy with that :) I want to become wiser but not to become boring as some other adults >_>

Years
  • My priorities used to be like getting the newest video game, catching some new anime, cool new shoes, crap like that. Then high school hit and now I'm trying to pass and not flop maladroitly into the real world.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    It's the age old question. How do you stay up beat and positive amid so many pressures and challenges in your day to day live. In my Business Coaching practice I work with entrepreneurs who are holding so many balls in the air that they lose focus on what the object of their lives and their business is all about. Many of them are consumed in doing stuff. Working in their business instead of on their business. It's hard to stay positive when it seems you are not making any progress. So how do you bring that positive attitude back into your life? Here are some tips that work for some of my clients who suffer from being over whelmed. Yes, I too practice these tips.

Create a personal purpose. Lets call it a mission statement but for your life. It's not about the business you own or work for. I can tell you that it took me several weeks of introspective thought and research to get to mine. There are numerous sites on the internet that will help bring you to that point where you are ready to put it to paper. Some are religious based and some relating to finding what makes you happy. In my books happy is always good. Creating a well thought out personal purpose will help bring out your passion and harness it. The result being you will have increased your outlook on life with the benefit being a stronger positive attitude.

Start a Gratitude Journal. I write in mine every day. I give thanks to all the wonderful things in my life including the names of wonderful and uplifting people I meet every day. You will be amazed at what you already have. Stop. Catch your breath. Think about all the good things in your life. Write them down on purpose. I suggest you not focus on the hole in the donut but focus on the chocolate glaze. Yum.

Spend time with and hang out with positive minded people. They are out there. Lots of them. I suggest to you they have problems in their lives they are trying to overcome as well. The difference is their outlook. Things are good now and life will only get better. Positive minded people embrace this outlook and they are doing something about it.
    It is extremely important that you be conscious of your thoughts. Turn back the negative thoughts as soon as they appear. Just plain nuke them. The sun shines on a rainy day. It's just out of view. You know it will come back tomorrow. You should also know that your likely going to get wet when your chasing rainbows. You'll dry off. I will close with sharing with you with my personal purpose. I hope this helps you, in achieving your new outlook that life is grand and full of abundance.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • honestly my priorities haven't changed i think for the most part between high school and college. i was definitely more focused on my mental health in high school at the time, as it was the main priority for me to make sure i didn't hit rock bottom like i did before.

now, my priorities have slightly shifted, but overall they're still the same. i still focus on my mental health, but i also focus on my school assignments more and my grades and make sure to set aside a lot of time for that. but when i can, i also try to find time to focus on my mental health and indulge in my interests (youtube mostly) after i have done my homework and whatnot or if i feel i have hit the maximum i can do for the day and don't want to overwork myself for fear of my mental health declining.

Years
  • Well, I am 25 this year. I made up my mind on stopping my Yugioh cards buying, as well as the Poke'special mangas. I even have the urge to discard them (Trust me, they're not worth anything here). I used to be so avid, buying my cards, and making sure I stalk Chuangyi (And now Shogankukan) for the manga translation to be out so I can buy the comics...

Yo, if you want to sell them... ... ...

I now exercise and care about going to sleep and spending as much time as I can with people that I like.

Years
  • I guess my priorities have changed a bit since I was a kid. I'm twenty-three now and I work full time, so of course I don't have as many late nights as I used too, but now I have the money to buy all of the games I could ever want to buy when I was younger but just couldn't afford them. That being said, I have to budget for petrol and other stuff so I can't just go freely buying games (like I have been doing ☹️).

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Bills, bills, bills, and more bills. Maintaining a job, paying rent, food, keeping vehicle running, ya know, the shit adults are supposed to do. I don't play Xbox much anymore or go out like I used to unless I don't work the next day. Working first shift is cool and all but hangovers are no fun at work. If I'm not working I'm most likely in the lab (music studio) smoking a fat blunt so music is another priority of mine, always has been.

Last edited:
    Back