• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: “Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution” the next Pokémon Movie title

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
@_@ Well, I can't say I saw this coming by a long shot, that's for sure... I hope it's not just a literal remake of the original movie, that'd be such a waste.

Last edited:
Years
It make sense. They're trying to cash hard on nostalgia with LPGE. But I really hope it's not just remake, but sequel like that short movie that I still can't remember the name.

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
It make sense. They're trying to cash hard on nostalgia with LPGE. But I really hope it's not just remake, but sequel like that short movie that I still can't remember the name.

The whole "nostalgia pandering" thing may be hitting a zenith with the Let's Go games, but it's been around since last generation. XY overdid it with the Kanto pandering, right down to being forced to pick a Kanto starter sometime after the first badge and being given a free Lapras, for example. This gen continued it to a lesser extent like with the Alola forms, but IMO it wasn't on the level as XY's pandering, but it was still there.

As for the movie, a lot of people are suggesting this is going to be a remake of the first one, but then again it could just be a sequel as my first thoughts hinted, like the movie you didn't know the name of...which is in this case, Mewtwo Returns. That one's fallen out of public consciousness but I honestly have a feeling that this is going to be a remake or fleshing out of Mewtwo Returns. It's still early to tell though.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Considering that the first SM movie was a reboot of Episode 1 and a very loose adaptation of it, I won't be surprised if this was a remake/reboot of a similar nature. Besides, the post-credits scene for M20 had hinted that we'd get something along those lines sooner or later anyways when they showed Giovanni bringing out Mewtwo and asking if it was ready, all this did was confirm it. One thing's for sure, though, we're probably going to get some Gen 8 shilling in Movie 22 (since it's the last movie before Gen 8 is released, and they literally have no other Mythical Pok?mon to distribute in Gen 7). And I'm guessing Japan has a habit of revisiting old characters' backgrounds and expanding on them, considering Dragon Ball's doing something similar with Broly right now.

Right now, though, I'm more concerned about how this current movie's going to do in the box office (since I don't exactly have much confidence that it will perform better than even Pok?mon Heroes or the last two XY movies, let alone M20. In fact, I suspect the only reason M20 did even remotely as well as it did was because of the timing of its release and that, had it been any other time, we'd probably get similar box office results to, say, the Volcanion movie).

Years
I indeed have a problem with Movie 22. If it's going to be an attempt to do a remake of Movie 1 just because of the latter's 20th anniversary, then I do believe the anime staff have indeed run out of ideas this time.

I feel all this nostalgia pandering in the Pokemon anime world right now is to cater to those Genwunners who won't get shut up.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I really don't think it is a remake. I think it is going to be a continuation of 20 and 21. I think they are just using that name because it needs to be addressed in this universe. And I hope Team Rocket plays a bigger part.

And I don't think they have run out of ideas, but how are they going to make a movie in Alola?

To be honest, the first movie was one of the worst in all the movies. It had good music and theme, but it just wasn't that great. If people didn't like it for Nostalgia, I think people will understand just how bad the first movie is.

They are trying to hook new people and bring in Pokemon Go fans. It will have to be different for it to bring in new players.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I indeed have a problem with Movie 22. If it's going to be an attempt to do a remake of Movie 1 just because of the latter's 20th anniversary, then I do believe the anime staff have indeed run out of ideas this time.

I feel all this nostalgia pandering in the Pokemon anime world right now is to cater to those Genwunners who won't get shut up.

Eh, I'm not particularly fond of the idea that they're rehashing Movie 1 for its anniversary (they should at the very least have a sequel for it, maybe even have the old Mewtwo interact with the Mewtwo from the Genesect movie. Might redeem the latter, anyway), but considering how rehash happy they are with the movies right now, I'm going to expect it (all I can hope for now is that the movie bombs at the box office, hoping it sets it back on the right course). I'm not entirely sure I'd pin the blame on the rehashing on Genwunners, though (besides, technically, there aren't any genwunners in the anime since the Original series was composed of Generations 1 and 2.). And I'm not sure I'd call what they're doing nostalgia pandering for Sun and Moon, since they barely focus on much regarding that (barring maybe the Kanto arc, and let's be fair, we ultimately needed that, since the last time we went to Kanto back in Battle Frontier, they barely even focused on it despite it being Ash's home region, and besides, it allowed Misty to shine, and we'll probably even get an encore soon for her, Brock too as well.).

I really don't think it is a remake. I think it is going to be a continuation of 20 and 21. I think they are just using that name because it needs to be addressed in this universe. And I hope Team Rocket plays a bigger part.

And I don't think they have run out of ideas, but how are they going to make a movie in Alola?

To be honest, the first movie was one of the worst in all the movies. It had good music and theme, but it just wasn't that great. If people didn't like it for Nostalgia, I think people will understand just how bad the first movie is.

They are trying to hook new people and bring in Pokemon Go fans. It will have to be different for it to bring in new players.

Movie 20 was pretty much a loose retelling of Episode 1, so I'm not entirely sure you should use it being a continuation of Movie 20 and 21 as evidence that Movie 22 isn't going to be a remake (AU or not, it's still essentially a retelling).

As far as how they can make a movie in Alola, simple, by doing the same things that they did in the OS, AG, DP, BW, and XY.

Movie 1 definitely had to do something right to work. Sure, it has its flaws, but it ultimately did well enough to ensure there was a movie franchise in the first place. If it bombed, I'm doubtful it would have gotten off the ground.

As far as your last point, yeah, I'm doubtful about that, especially considering that the ratings for SM alone indicate it's losing viewership (and we don't even know what the box office receipts for the current movie is anyway. For all we know, it may turn out to be as big of a bomb as the Volcanion Movie).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
To me it seems like they can do just about ANYTHING and people will still throw money at them no matter what. I don't know why we need to keep going back when we can go forward in so many different directions.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
To me it seems like they can do just about ANYTHING and people will still throw money at them no matter what. I don't know why we need to keep going back when we can go forward in so many different directions.

Eh, I don't know about that. The Hoopa and Volcanion movies WERE big box office bombs, made even Pok?mon Heroes seem like a blockbuster hit by comparison. And we don't exactly know what the results of the box office for this current movie is, for all we know, it may end up being as big of a box office bomb as if not an even bigger disaster than the Volcanion movie.

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I'm more perplexed we're not getting an Alola movie. An all-out tropical theme has never been done before on the big screen.

The "pandering theory" is baloney. Kanto actually does possess a certain something the other regions lack, for better or worse, and the general public has more than demonstrated their lasting preference for it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'm more perplexed we're not getting an Alola movie. An all-out tropical theme has never been done before on the big screen.

The "pandering theory" is baloney. Kanto actually does possess a certain something the other regions lack, for better or worse, and the general public has more than demonstrated their lasting preference for it.

Yeah, I'm surprised at that as well (and the upcoming movie is most likely going to be the last movie of the Sun and Moon Saga anyways thanks to the impending release of Generation VIII in late 2019, so we don't exactly have any more chances at Alola getting a movie after this). Probably the closest we've ever gotten to a tropical theme in any of the movies is the Power of One (since it's set in the Orange Islands), Heroes (due to Alto Mare), and probably Temple of the Sea (since they briefly go to a tropical lagoon before heading over to the Temple). Well, let's hope we find out more in January that might prove us wrong there, at least.

And yeah, let's face it, the Original Series (not just Kanto, since the thing we're referencing was actually composed of two generations instead of one.) had plenty of things the other series lack (like, for example, an actual gauge of how much better Ash did than the prior league, not to mention actually being consistently stronger to a certain extent than before rather than undergoing the infamous level resets that plagued him).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Oh gotcha, kinda like what Marvel does?

More like James Bond. They've been doing that since 1963 where at the end of each movie they have "James Bond will return in..." followed by name of the movie.

In any case, the lack of an Alola movie further buries Sun&Moon as the worst Pokemon series to date. Congratulations Best Wishes, you're no longer the Black Sheep of Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
More like James Bond. They've been doing that since 1963 where at the end of each movie they have "James Bond will return in..." followed by name of the movie.

In any case, the lack of an Alola movie further buries Sun&Moon as the worst Pokemon series to date. Congratulations Best Wishes, you're no longer the Black Sheep of Pokemon.

To be fair to Sun and Moon (and that series has largely been terrible, with the only real exception being the Kanto Reunion arc and to a certain extent the Lusamine arc which if anything is even BETTER than the games), I suspect that there not being any Alola movies had more to do with the Kalos Movies underperforming (since the Diancie, the closest the Kalos movies have to a box office success, nonetheless performed so below expectations that the main director of the movies since the Celebi movie ended up fired, and the Hoopa and Volcanion did the impossible and managed to "surpass" Pokémon Heroes as being the worst-performing Pokémon films, period.) than Sun and Moon itself (though the series having very bad ratings certainly doesn't help matters at all).

Years
It is sad that we will never get a movie properly set in Alola, all because two of the XY movies flopped badly at the box office and resulted in a long-time director getting fired, while causing the movies to undergo a reboot, while being completely disconnected from the main anime.

Back