• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do you complete the dex?

Years
  • i'm a completionist that wants to complete the dex in every game as of dppt or so, even more so now that it's much easier to coordinate trades with people online. what about you guys? how many games have you completed the dex in?

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I am an avid Pokemon Collector. I've completed at least one Living Pokedex in every generation. It's the main thing I do after I beat the game.
    I just have a good time going around the region and catching everything. It feels good to see the Dex Count gradually go up.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Literally only Pokemon HeartGold and Pokemon White. But for Pokemon White, I've only SEEN all the Pokemon, not caught all of them. For Heartgold, I have a complete Pokedex except for some the not required Mythical Pokemon that aren't possible to get without exploiting the dns trick for Mystery Gift.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Once I get bored with the game and its been completed I'll usually try and complete the Dex.

Years
  • I'm usually too lazy to try and complete my dex. Last time I did was way back on FireRed, but I did get close on White 2 before they shut down the online servers (I was well into the 500s out of 649).

pkmin3033

I've completed the dex of every Pokemon generation since the first at least once...I am also a completionist, and it's pretty satisfying to get every Pokemon in a game for some reason. When I was a kid I only got new games around my birthday and Christmas, which are annoyingly close together, so I had to make the most of what I had. I had Pokemon games growing up as soon as they were released, and dex-filling was a great way to get more time out of the game and to pass the time until the end of the year! Even now I get some satisfaction out of it, even if I don't generally enjoy the game itself.

I've only gone for a living dex once successfully though, and that was in Gen 4. I started a Gen 6 one a couple of years ago but got about halfway done and now when I think about it I want to start all over again smh.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I've been completing the dexes since XY. Could've easily done it in Gen V but couldn't be bothered.
    My living dex is up to Gen VII, only took a couple of days thanks to a complete National Pokedex from Gen VI :p

Rynamite

Teaghlaigh, Dílseacht, Misneach
    Years
  • I think the only one that I have come super close to completing was Pokemon Emerald. I knew someone that had Ruby and had a backlog of unused pokemon that I used for the sole purpose of getting eggs and filling the dex. I cannot remember the final number as since then the file has been erased ;; It was around 85-90%

Since then I couldn't be bother (At least until now) since most people I knew has drifted away from Pokemon leaving me on the island sort to speak. But now, my work has a lot of people who play it, and obviously there are folks here as well :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I currently have completed Pokedexes in my copies of Leaf Green, Pearl, Platinum, and Y. Not too surprising that those are also the games where I've logged the most hours. Y is where I'm maintaining my "living dex" and given the complete bull-crap that Home is, it will remain there.

In Shield I'm up to 351, and all Sword-exclusive/trade evo ones are accounted for, so I could easily make the final push to 400 if I wanted to. Problem is, I'm not especially motivated to play Shield any more at the moment, so it'll remain at 351 for the foreseeable future.

I want to say I also completed it in Blue, Crystal, and maybe Silver as well, but the internal battery died on those cartridges years ago.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2020
    I can't complete because I am the only one I know with Let's Go unless there is a way to trade with random stangers?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I've "completed" the National Dex in Ultra Moon (i.e. get every non-mythical Pokémon possible in the game). I just really love collecting.

Years
  • only twice once in moon and the other time in shield. imo it gets easier with smaller pokedexes.

tbh im glad i actually took the time to finish the pokedex bc the shiny charm is insanely useful.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • As a kid, I didn't use the internet a lot, and I didn't know that it could be used for stuff other than homework. So every new Pokemon for me was worth treasuring, and I ended up spending about 700 hours in my Pearl copy, catching all Pokemon in Sinnoh. I did not know where to get Dialga, had no Pokemon-playing friend, nor had any GBA cartridge to make use of Pal Park, so except those, I caught a ton of Pokemon otherwise obtainable through wild encounters, excluding Legendaries (didn't know Arceus existed welp).
    Other than that, I think it was in Black 2, I came close to completing the Pokedex, but haven't been interested since then.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • I'm a lazy bastard, so usually not. I've started on it now that social distancing's a thing now and nobody's really playing the games I usually play. Started back on Gen III, playing through XD now for the few things like Lugia and the Lucky Egg to speed it up.

Years
  • sadly not but i'm really tempted to do so for the shiny charm :')
    i don't really know how trades/touch trades? work so x:

i'm amazed by my friends though their living dex is complete and that's just amazing

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I don't really care to. I've never used Pokémon Home or anything like that and therefore it probably isn't even possible for me to complete the Pokedex anyway.

Years
  • I've only ever completed red and shield fully, and I'm gonna try complete x on my current run, but for most I just try catch as many of the pokemon that's in the version of the game I got if I I complete the pokemon league before then then I usually move onto the next game as I don't do any post game play. But tat was before wonder trade and before I had poke bank so now its easier to go back and comple th gen 6 and 7 games

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    I'm very close to on Pokémon Red, I caught about 120 pokémon (which is about what you can get without trade) and gonna soon trade with a friend who has Blue to get the remaining ones.

And I'm currently going through most of the gen 3 & 4 games to complete the gen 4 dex.

Back