• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Digital vs Physical

Lumina

Lucid Melody
Years
I prefer digital so I don't have to fuss with a disc or whatever for consoles, but for handhelds (and the Switch) I prefer physical since having all my games on hand takes up a lot less space what with the smaller cartridges instead of a stack of game cases for my PS4.

Years
Yeah, I'm sort of on two minds myself. I like the sense of security you have with a physical copy but the convenience of a digital library just trumps that by miles. The only big exception in with hand helds where I mostly prefer not to use up too much space.

Years
Physical because for some odd reason, I can't connect to the internet on my Switch. I can however connect on my 3DS, so I have a few digital for that system, and I use my 3DS more than my Switch so go figure.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
For the most part, physical. It just makes me feel like a collector plus you can get some cool looking discs, carts, and cases.

Cid

Years
Do you prefer to have digital or physical copies of your games?
I prefer physical. I don't know why; I guess the fact that I can physically touch a game and see its box adds a little bit more to it. I also want to be able to lend or outright give my games to people with consoles of their own if I ever wanted to.

It becomes a bit of a hassle to switch between games sometimes, though. Having Yellow and Crystal in the 3DS itself is my experience of digital copies of games, and it's nice to be able to pick the console up and play right away.

One day I'll have an impressive collection of games in my room for display. That gives me incentive to keep buying physical.

pkmin3033

I prefer physical. I like owning what I purchase, not having a conditional rental, which is basically all a digital purchase is.

Digital storefronts are also the height of greed - full RRP when the middleman of the retailer and the cost of manufacturing has been removed? With no adjustment for depreciation that you commonly see in physical games as time passes? That's disgusting. I mean, sure, digital sales can be significantly better when they roll around, but that doesn't change that what I am paying for is just access, rather than something I actually own.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
Physical. It's not a huge difference though, in the end I just want to play it. Actually I end up most things digital because it's so much more convenient.

Years
Honestly I'm so used to everything being Digital now that I kinda don't mind either way.

If it comes to Deluxe Editions or something like that though, I gotta go Physical.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Mostly physical these days, because I like to watch some nicely-drawn boxarts. Besides, being on physical means I don't have to download huge game data most of the time (except for NBA 2K and some other games, which require huge update data regardless) which may take hours. Otherwise I'd pick digital if a particular game is only found on the eShop.

Last edited:
Years
soooooooo like

i more or less lean towards physical games. i dunno, there's thing gut feeling that i have with digital games that because they're a digital "license" of the game (so to speak), that Nintendo and/or the developer(s) of the games that i'm playing can very well just...decide the cancel the license for whatever reason and then poof, there goes my hard earned cash for playing the game and all the hours i sunk into it. .___.

perhaps someone who's more of an expert in video games legalese than i am will hopefully relieve these concerns but at the moment that's the biggest thing keeping me pretty hard towards physical rn if at all possible. that's not to say that i don't have any digital games, but i'm not super gung-ho on them, either.

pkmin3033

i more or less lean towards physical games. i dunno, there's thing gut feeling that i have with digital games that because they're a digital "license" of the game (so to speak), that Nintendo and/or the developer(s) of the games that i'm playing can very well just...decide the cancel the license for whatever reason and then poof, there goes my hard earned cash for playing the game and all the hours i sunk into it. .___.

perhaps someone who's more of an expert in video games legalese than i am will hopefully relieve these concerns but at the moment that's the biggest thing keeping me pretty hard towards physical rn if at all possible. that's not to say that i don't have any digital games, but i'm not super gung-ho on them, either.
Unfortunately, that's exactly how it works - digital games are a license that can be revoked at any time the company pleases. This has happened to several games already - TRON: Evolution being the most recent one highlighted. Nintendo have also done this with the DS and Wii eShops, and it's a safe bet that they will *eventually* do this with the Wii U and 3DS as well. To be fair, it's several years before this kind of thing happens, but then with a physical copy of a game you can play it whenever you want no matter how old it is. It doesn't force you to buy a new system to access your old games either...something that Nintendo did with the DS to the 3DS jump. Transfer your purchases or lose them forever.

I think there will be a gradual shift away from this - the move towards Netflix-style subscription services like Nintendo Switch Online, Playstation Now, and Game Pass suggest that we might *eventually* get a retro digital library that is easily transferrable and accessible across multiple platforms (although don't quote me on this until we find out whether Xbox Series X and PS5 will support current infrastructure...which let's face it, they would be insane not to) but as they are right now, digital titles are a temporary license and not an actual product. There is no customer ownership.

Years
Unfortunately, that's exactly how it works - digital games are a license that can be revoked at any time the company pleases. This has happened to several games already - TRON: Evolution being the most recent one highlighted. Nintendo have also done this with the DS and Wii eShops, and it's a safe bet that they will *eventually* do this with the Wii U and 3DS as well. To be fair, it's several years before this kind of thing happens, but then with a physical copy of a game you can play it whenever you want no matter how old it is. It doesn't force you to buy a new system to access your old games either...something that Nintendo did with the DS to the 3DS jump. Transfer your purchases or lose them forever.

I think there will be a gradual shift away from this - the move towards Netflix-style subscription services like Nintendo Switch Online, Playstation Now, and Game Pass suggest that we might *eventually* get a retro digital library that is easily transferrable and accessible across multiple platforms (although don't quote me on this until we find out whether Xbox Series X and PS5 will support current infrastructure...which let's face it, they would be insane not to) but as they are right now, digital titles are a temporary license and not an actual product. There is no customer ownership.

which is a huge bummer because i'm not exactly jumping up and down at the prospect of eShop exclusive games when i know im going to lose "ownership" of those games eventually. @__@

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Physical. The only digital games I have are those that don't have a physical release. I have a shelf where I show off the boxes from my games, and I don't like the idea of paying for a license to a game that could be revoked on a whim for any number of reasons. I like to occasionally go back and play old games, and to find out something I paid for was no longer available would be quite a nasty surprise.

It's basically the same reason I prefer physical copies of anime - I want to own it outright, and to display them on my shelves.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 3, 2020
I always prefer the physical copy especially if the box art looks really good.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen yesterday
Physical all the way - I like to tangibly own my games. I only buy digital if it's cheaper or unavailable elsewhere.

Cariad

world.search(you);
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 25, 2023
Physical, just because I'm a collector at heart and like being able to see my collection of games neatly arranged on my display shelf. Though, I am trying to be more environmentally-conscious, so I might switch to digital at some point to stop hoarding plastic, lmao.

Back