• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you research before writing certain topics?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • I feel like this is a very important skill to have for all writers. I've read stories where things like autism or mental health were so badly done that it made me cringe. Like, omg... not even just those topics alone even. Just the fact that some writers don't really understand the value of researching.

Which is why I'm asking you... do you research before writing certain topics? How do you usually do your research? Is there anything you usually do to make sure that you have the right details?

I always try to do mine, even if I'm writing about autism... seeing how I do all the time. I do have some common knowledge based on my own experiences, mind you. Not saying I'm an expert because I'm not. I still research it just to make sure I'm doing it right. ATM, I'm writing about a character who is Schizophrenic, and I've been trying to find some stuff that works for her. I get a lot of knowledge from things like articles and movies as well. It just depends on how well thought out and experienced the topic is for those things too.

Sorry about talking about the whole autism thing y'all. I'm just making a point. ;o;

troy why have you gotten me to say y'all now omfg

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    When I have to go into a topic I don't know a thing about I research and I try to do it as best as possible, looking up the same topic in like 4 different sources and even try talking with people I know have some experience with said topic. But since I don't like researching, I try to stick with things I'm familiar with, where I need little to no research.

Years
  • As much as I like learning, I don't like research overly much. That being said, I will research things as I need to to make sure I have a level of understanding enough to write about it with confidence. I'm not going to deep dive into molecular biology or whatever though unless I absolutely have to. It's interesting to hear about, it's less interesting to spend two and a half hours reading dry scholarly articles for a three lines of dialogue.

Some research example, for one of the comics I'm working on I needed to find out how arson investigation works in the US. So I talked to Alby about it since she's American and then followed up by reading a few websites on the matter. For something else, I researched the interior of elevator shafts so I could portray them accurately by watching videos and reading an article. For my Unific RP, I did a Wikipedia dive on Costa Rica and its cities since the region is based off there.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ohhhh I'm constantly researching every little thing! It's so highly unnecessary considering what I tend to write, which is anime-ish Pokémon stuff. But there's a lot to know! Was figuring out how neurotoxins work last week! Few months ago was CAVE FACTS. Before that- vegetables native to mountainous Japan? What are the semi-arched openings in walls called? What time in the evening does the sun do that horrible blinding glare? Fish recipes, physical responses to anxiety, mushroom facts, outdoor equipment, traditional style of Japanese farmsteads, injury recovery timelines, saddle styles, names of a variety of disciplines, a million and a half definitions. I try to find at least two reputable sources for each thing, too. All for an anime-style Pokémon roleplay lmao.

uh basically what i'm sayin' is: research? I go hard.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • When I have to go into a topic I don't know a thing about I research and I try to do it as best as possible, looking up the same topic in like 4 different sources and even try talking with people I know have some experience with said topic. But since I don't like researching, I try to stick with things I'm familiar with, where I need little to no research.

I try do that too... but there are also times when I try to mix things up. So, I feel like research is something very important when I do.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I once had to research how addresses worked in the States, and what that place in the prison where inmates can talk to visitors is called. I research pretty much anything I'm not too sure about, but I'd rather not have to research something if an entire work of mine revolves around it.

Bay

Years
  • It depends on the story, but I try to do at least some research. I remember for one of my chaptered stories I researched Italy quite a bit and several castles/caves. For Foul Play I did a some research on Hawaii culture and names, but not too extensive and mostly just went with what the game provided.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Do you research...?

No. *shifty looks*

Okay most of the time I do some research. One or two layers of information past the "just google it" where possible. I guess it mostly depends on the subject - the longer it's going to be on screen, such as my Nidos, they need to have more things set in stone so there goes rabbit locomotion, some research on toxicology and of course the evolution and semiotics of romance symbols. Other things such as structural engineering ("Built for Risk") and kinesiology of combat ("Beyond Today") need a few passes too before they go onto paper.

I'm not going to deep dive into molecular biology or whatever though unless I absolutely have to.
    I'm told organic chemistry is f u n !

Was figuring out how neurotoxins work last week! Few months ago was CAVE FACTS. Before that- vegetables native to mountainous Japan? What are the semi-arched openings in walls called? What time in the evening does the sun do that horrible blinding glare? Fish recipes, physical responses to anxiety, mushroom facts, outdoor equipment, traditional style of Japanese farmsteads, injury recovery timelines, saddle styles, names of a variety of disciplines,
    Oh damn I could have helped with some of those! I wish I had known about this before, sorry in advance. But hey I hope you got what you needed! (And perhaps you can actually help me one of these days with saddle styles)

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • do you research before writing certain topics?
    Well, research for me tends to be once I've set my mind on something about the plot or direction and would then delve into looking into it. While I do some research for Shattered Crests, I'm not at a part that requires more extensive digging up as opposed to simply checking on some things or asking a friend how German or Latin works.

How do you usually do your research?
    I try to look up things or look for people that have better sources, and overall get more familiar with the topic.
    For example, for a project of mine I'm planning out, I've versed myself into how swordfights and armor were back in the medieval ages and other interesting takes of weapons from various experts and stuff. When it comes to naming, I also consult stuff from sources and see if I can come up with a more "in the time" place, (Example, using 'Eduuard' instead of 'Edward')

Is there anything you usually do to make sure that you have the right details?
    Just check. Stuff like Mental health and cultural views that I would have to grasp hasn't been something I've gotten to as of yet. I can, however, probably practice it with some cultural stuff I'll have in Shattered Crests and to a lesser extent PMD the series (Which I will one day get back to an actually improve)

troy why have you gotten me to say y'all now omfg
    Well if I could put my tin foil hat on for a second, I would deem that from what I've read online is that plenty of people have a knack for sweets. Now, theoretically, if someone were to offer said sweets online, normally one wouldn't be bribed by such a request due to the sweets either having very little means to reach the person or if it's money for sweets, would require said person to go out and get it themselves or not be able to do to brand or location. However, what if Troy utilized Amazon foods to deliver said sweets so that in exchange you would start this topic of conversation while also eluding a means of "why have you gotten me to do this?" to throw off the scent to the fact that you are...
    an alien from Jupiter that loves sweets and just so happens to like Pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I think it is important to do your research and ensure that you don't misrepresent anything related to the real world that you bring up. I'm not just talking locations and politics, but also such things as racial or identity based stereotypes. If you write for an audience, you kind of owe it to your readers.

A bad example of this is JK Rowling. She did immense research on the nerdy details and lore that interested her, and left morally questionable things highly stereotyped/generalized/ignored. Know what you're writing about or don't write about it, I guess. (Or write for your own enjoyment and don't publish)

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • Most of the time the topics I've written about are things I've experienced personally, so I usually don't feel the need to do research. For fan fictions and stuff, at the very least. A lot of the fan fics I've written about were topics I've experienced personally. Or the topics I were writing about sometimes didn't require any research as they did not delve into any super heavy topics.

However, whenever I was in school and I had to write papers obviously I'd do research beforehand to make sure what I was writing was accurate.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    Yes, researching is crucial. I usually first go to Wikipedia to gather the basics, then read a lot of general articles on the topic. Only after that will I read scholarly material because by now I would've decided which specific direction I'm going with the topic/idea. Then, I binge on everything I can find on Youtube, social media, particularly any documentaries (if that's relevant). After that, I start reading recommended books on the topic. I've only sought people to talk to once, when I wanted to know more about the day-to-day working life of a beat patrol COP.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't try to write too far out of my wheelhouse. I have done a significant amount of research into religion, religious symbolism, and naming conventions for different time periods. Outside of that, it's usually just like looking up side effects for certain prescriptions to make sure they are what I figured they would be; so mostly just quick affirmations for what I already know.

ril

rillz
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Jul 28, 2021
    research can be used very poorly if you read into the wrong parts. more often than not, writers with good intentions will write terrible representation because their research boils down to a few articles and wikipedia. hands down the most powerful research tool for a writer will always be people's experiences and stories. reading forum posts, confessions, reaching out to people in your life, asking around online, even asking someone to collaborate and help you write a character personally. all of these give life and character to even the seemingly least complex topics. yes, reading up on a heart disease is important to understanding how it works. but what about how it personally affects someone? how it changes the course of someone's life and how they perceive the world? those types of questions are essential to writing compelling stories, characters, and conflict.

it's also important to understand there are some lines you shouldn't cross. a non-autistic person should not be writing the life story of an autistic person unless one is helping them write it. i am autistic as well and it is very dehumanizing when neurotypical people don't go past an internet article in their research, but try to write about how our brains work. this applies to other minorities as well, it's very obvious when someone doesn't collaborate with a minority to write a story about one.

now, that's mostly character writing. if you're writing some sort of crime scene and need to understand how, for example, a gunshot wound will affect someone's body, you should definitely be aiming more for wikipedia and scholarly articles. and even then, other people's experience with gunshot wounds will be helpful when writing how your character will react.

this ended up way too long, hope my point makes sense lol!

Back