• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite genre

Years
  • Bringing it back with a simpler and more open thread - what's your favourite video game genre and why? Any particular titles we should look out for in it?

Years
  • pretty much purely a (J)RPG person as I like the idea and concept of level-grinding as a method of progression to overwhelm my enemies. it's also kind of a shame because I'd imagine it's also one of the harder genres to develop for, seeing that a good story and well-written characters are two of the main things that make a solid (J)RPG and it seems only big companies could afford the resources to do that.

still though, it'd be nice to see some effort from an indie studio or two take a crack at it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    JRPGs are the ones I typically enjoy. Visual Novel type games are also ones that I enjoy with a mystery aspect (so basically ace attorney, dangandonpa, and zero escape haha). Basically games that are very story driven with really fun characters that you want to take part of a journey with while also enjoy the gameplay as jrpgs and the like tend to have gameplay i like over say ... shooter games and such.

Years
  • I love Visual Novels with mystery aspects (Ace Attorney/999/etc.), Simulation games (The Sims, Animal Crossing), and also Adventure games (LoZ predominately). and ofc Pokémon is fun.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Roguelikes, (action / sandbox) RPGs, survival horror, stealth, Metroidvania, and management sim are all in my top favorites, but honestly I'll play a little bit of everything except rhythm games, lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • it only took my 26 years to figure it out, but i only really enjoy and complete JRPGs. i'm not good at platformers and they don't hook me once it gets outside my skill level (this is why kirby is my fave platformer, if you're not going 100% they're not that hard thank god) lol. i need a good story to keep me going alongside great gameplay. i can appreciate action-adventure games like zelda as well, but i think it's largely a series thing. i just like that. but yeah, shit like persona, pokemon (if that counts), kingdom hearts, final fantasy, tales, all that good shit. it's my favorite genre and where most of my time and money gets sunk into. money bc merch bc i attach SO heavily to JRPG characters. i love good stories, but i also adore great characters and that's what i think i largely enjoy about JRPGs. i'm lonely, i guess it feels like making friends. god that's sad lol.

i can't do horror at all, but i do appreciate good lore and shit like in fnaf so i always kept up w the series for that via watching other people play it. sandbox stuff is too open ended for me and i get overwhelmed rip. i like party, fighting, and racing games okay too, they're a great distraction from long-winded JRPGs and easy to pick up and play, esp w friends or siblings. never been a huge fan of first person shooters, but i am okay with third person shooters like jak 2 & 3, jet force gemini, and splatoon. ...i haven't played splatoon in so long i actually can't remember if it's first or third rip. and then shit like sims, harvest moon, animal crossing, and viva pinata are great too. just big ole time sinkers where i don't have to focus on much and it's not SO broad that i get overwhelmed, but i have freedom to do things as i see fit and have something i can kind of follow and get into a routine with. platformers are hit and miss and i will pick up some for series that i enjoy, however it's rare i finish. mario, kirby, rayman, and jak 1 are good examples. am i GOOD at them? no. do i have fun with them regardless? yes i do!! i can beat kirby games btw. the only merciful platformer for me. lol

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I share quite a few with Fairy, actually -
    Roguelikes, (action / sandbox) RPGs, survival horror, stealth, Metroidvania, and management sim are all in my top favorites,
    With the exception of maybe Metroidvania since I haven't played very many. Games where I build things, whether it's a house or an empire, games where I can be creative, etc. I do enjoy micromanagement as well, sim games, and action/sandbox RPGs.

I don't personally play survival horror because I'm a weenie but I am fascinated by them and I love watching other people play, either IRL or Let's Plays.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    FPS and RPG are my two favourite genres basically

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
  • I really like TBS and FPS games a lot, as well as sandbox-y type games where you can do pretty much whatever, whenever. Not usually into games where I'm pressured to do something ASAP, but I can manage certain ones from time to time.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • I'm a simple person. When I see RPG, I'm interested. Also I love me some dungeon crawler.
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon introduced me to it. Another fun dungeon crawler is Tangledeep.
    Oh yeah, anything sandbox is fun too. Minecraft, Terraria, GMod is fun too..

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • JRPGs, and rhythm games. Sometimes, I do like a good visual novel, though, I just haven't really played one in years. I want to play more visual novels, honestly, they don't require any grinding, and whatnot. (Not that I mind grinding, but you know.) I play mobile rhythm games all the time, so I suppose that'd justify that being one of my favorite genres, right?

Cid

Years
  • what's your favourite video game genre and why?
    RPGs, JRPGs, Action RPGs, and farming sims. I love them because of the games that are categorized as them. It's always nice to explore a brand new world as someone new, to play a role in a game that's worth playing, and to take care of cute digital farm plants and animals.

Any particular titles we should look out for in it?
    Pokémon Gold, Kingdom Hearts II, Trials of Mana, Mother 3, and Stardew Valley.

I love Gold because it's the perfect retro game. It's also imo the best title of my favorite franchise of all time, tied with HeartGold. KH2 is great because it sports one of the best battle systems of the franchise, feels very polished, and introduces us to Roxas. Sora is always great, but I grew to like him even more in KH2. Trials of Mana is a gem of a game that is being remade next year for a very good reason; it is a great SNES title. Mother 3 is strange, funny, heart-rending, and amazing. Stardew Valley is a love-letter to Story of Seasons and what made it so magical to kids like me.

Back