• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Poll] Mantine or Skarmory

Choose your fighter

• Mantine

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Skarmory

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
Years
  • 226.png
    227.png
    Both of these Flying-type Pokemon were both introduced in Gen 2 as version exclusives: Mantine in Gold and Skarmory in Silver. So, which one of these is your favourite, the Kite Pokemon Mantine or the Armor Bird Pokemon Skarmory?

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • I do have a water type biased as it's my favorite type. I understand that it's design is based off of flying rays but, I wish it didn't have the flying type.

Years
  • Mantine for usability in the games, Skarmory overall. I love my steel birb but goodness it was always so weak to use, and for the story I didn't care so much for the good defenses/resistances it had aha. So it found little use most of the time. :< Still gonna vote for it though despite that, since I prefer the look!

Years
    • Seen today
    Both are great if you want something that can tank special attacks or physical attacks respectively, but can't offer much offensively. Neither are much useful in-game though because they're supposed to stall and chip opponents away, which is basically pointless since the important trainers will disrupt that kind of strategies with lame Full Restores. In-game you better just use things that can hit fast and hard.

If I had to chose one, I'd go with Skarmory because Steel types are more scarce and rare to find, while Water types are everywhere and there's allways a lot of options.

Years
  • edgy younger me would've chosen the bad ass metal birdo, but nowadays i'm more akin to fluffy derps like Mantine, so it wins for now :D

also i don't want anyone taking away the Flying type responsibilities of Crobat on my team, so the non Flyer gets to stay for sure (even tho Mantine is indeed part Flying for some reason lmao what)

Years
  • i'd love to say mantine, but i've actually never used one as part of my time whereas i've used skarmory more than a few times and had fun with it, so i'm going with skarm. :>

Years
  • Skarmory. I never cared for Mantine that much, but Skarmory is really cool in general. It is one of my favorite Generation II Pokemon.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I like both a lot, but Mantine gets my pick. I think it's cuter than Skarmory and as a Pokémon Colosseum connoiseur, Mantine is better because of earlier accessiblity and it's not really that bad for the actual game.

Years
  • I like Mantine more, never liked Skarmory and now that we have Corviknight, which I find to be better designed with a better movepool, Skarmory seems obsolete.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I had Silver first so I'd have to go with Skarmory! It was also my first ever Steel-type so it's a bit of nostalgia talking. I didn't get the chance to use Mantine until I got Crystal and I gave it a shot because its design was so interesting, but ended up replacing it with a different Water-type in the end.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • In terms of personal preference, Mantine. In terms of who is better in battle, I dunno, possibly Skarmory slightly more?

I probably have used Skarmory more often, although both of them were in recent times. I did an AlphaSaph nuzrun two years ago and had a Skarmory there and he was pretty useful until a Medicham destroyed him with Reversal during a trainer rematch shortly after we beat Primal Kyogre. Then my next Skarmory was in Complex Crystal, a ROM hack and he survived until the end even if added only shortly before the last gym.

Why I like Mantine better, I really don't know. Possibly because I just like it's design or something. I only recall using it like only once ever, possibly because WHY CAN'T IT LEARN FLY!?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like Skarmory. It may be the design or it may be the typing. I know I've used one on my team on way too many runs. It is just really useful.

I think I would have had a harder choice picking between Skarmory and Gligar since I played Gold a lot and Skarmory was Silver exclusive, at least until Crystal. Gligar, I have some fond memories with, as well.

Mantine on the other hand I never used. It's probably because there are so many different Water Types in general. I do like that Mantine is Skarmory's opposite in terms that it acts as a special tank and not as a physical one.

Back