• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you use a full party?

Years
  • always used a full team. offers more variety. i also try to reserve a spot for the game's main legendary but i almost always fill it up with another pokemon

Years
  • In the past I have done playthroughs with a single fighter or less than a full party of fighters. It makes the game much easier, as the less Pokemon you have, the more exp they gain, and the more over-levelled they become.

But nowadays I always use a full party and try not to over-level too much!

Years
  • Back in the day I'd always have a full team of 6 but would really only level up 2/3 of them properly on my play through. Then I started to even things out more, decide on who my final 6 would be beforehand and then level up equally as I caught them and I still use this system today, it feels organic which I like.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Yep, I almost always use 6 Pokémon in my party. Last time I used less was in a playthrough of Sun where I couldn't find a good enough final team member.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I've always used a full party by the end of each game, and I subscribe to the "even build rule", where I make sure every Pokemon is the same level before facing a gym, and outside of the gym I use the Pokemon with the lowest max HP until it reaches whatever the highest level on the team is.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
    Years
  • Of course I mean my name isn't Cameron after all. -_-

I use full team most of the time. I also usually rotate my team since Gen V. My goal is to use every single Pokémon one day, so 6+ Pokémon at time really helps.

Goals! :)

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I play Gen 1 and I still use a full Team despite the fact its a pain in the butt to grind them all to a respectable level. Plus with Pikachu as a starter, I have to catch Pokemon to cover not only the Gym Leaders(which Pikachu handles just one in Misty) but also Team Rocket, Elite Four and my rival. Pokemon that I normally wouldn't yield the light of day to have become favorites over past runs(like Kabutops for Lorelei).

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    The firsts times that i played Pokemon games i had 1 powerful one to win the battles and others just because. That until gen 3. Then i started to really enjoy having all 6 at a similar level and use them all. That is the way that it's intended to be and i think that it's more enjoyable to have all pokemon have it's place. If anyone plays nuzlockes you will understand that it's more fun to have a bond with your party, you want all of them to be useful

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • By midgame, I usually have a full team. I don't like adding pokemon for the sake of adding pokemon. It also feels more "organic" I guess to progressively add team members.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Most of the time I've used 6 Pokémon in my team, although I have also used 5 before in order to leave enough space for a HM Slave.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    My favorite team building strategy is building a team that covers every type weakness using only the pokemon available in the current game I'm playing.

If I end up filling all 6 spaces to do so, so be it. When I can, I try really hard to keep it at a simple 4 overpowered pokemon, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    In Red, I just used my starter for my first run, then built a six-member team for my subsequent play through. In Gold, my team consisted of 5 Pokemon. I didn't want to ever have to put any of my Pokemon in the PC, and I wanted space for Cut/Strength/Flash/Whirlpool/Waterfall/Rock Smash users and Pokemon I wanted to level up and evolve, so I left a slot open. I did train a few additional Pokemon to use, but I never counted them in my team.

In newer games, with the advent of the revised Exp Share, I use a rotating team of more than six members. As a result, I don't really have a "team" in the same way that I did in earlier games.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    most games yes, i believe it's only hg/ss where I'll have a team of three at the most just because the leveling is awful after the last gym leader and I got sick of grinding

Sun Fin

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I plan a team of 6 at the beginning of the game and only use those 6. By the time I defeat the Elite 4 I will have 6 on my team, often members of my team are caught late on in the main game though.

Back