• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Starter Pokémon, Legendaries, Region, Release Date for Sun and Moon Revealed!

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
IS ROWLET AN OWL?

I LOVE OWLS ;__;

Though, Litten is really cute, and I love cats and fire types, aaaaah.

Also I may have gotten teary-eyed over the Japanese trailer.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
Years
So far the only one whose design I really like is Rowlet, but I won't choose which one I'll get until I see some evolutions. Litten looks cute when it's licking its paw or attacking, with the little tuft of fire fur, but just standing around it looks weird.

The legendaries are cool, I like the sun guy's star sunglasses deal, but we really don't need more fire-based big cats, especially since we got one of the exact same kind last gen, and litten will likely evolve into one. The moon guy would also look a lot better without the full crescent on its head. It was already a big moon, it didn't need a smaller head moon. Still looks good, though, I like his claws and that spiral attack he was doing.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
November 18 is a reasonable release date.

That being said, I love all three starters, especially Poppolio and Rowlet. This pretty much makes it the first time I'll pick a Grass starter for a serious play through.

As for the legendaries, I'm torn between both. Sun mascot looks regal, but there's something about the Moon mascot that makes me drawn to it, too.

Years
So happy that the release date is not like December 30th. When they said Holiday 2016 originally I though they were gonna be cheeky or something. Nov is not that far away at all, and mid Nov no less.

I'M HYPE MAN, TRAVELLING HAWAII WITH A SEAL CLOWN

Years
I quite like all three starter designs, but I could say the same about all starters except Unova. It tends to be the evolutions were they fall flat. Right now I would definitely pick Rowlet, but I would consider Litten if its evos were cooler. I'm almost tempted to do an Ash and just not evolve my starter.

Justice for Europe, once again. What did we do to deserve this? :(

I struggle to believe that its because of the XY leaks. What real difference is the game leaking a few days early in 1 region than 1 region getting it a few days before the other? The information about the game will still be out there before everyone has the game.

And besides, Europe >>>

At least it beats the old days of getting it months later due to localisation (something that's particularly annoying when you're playing the same language as the NTSC release). The XY leak seems like the only reason with any credibility at the moment unfortunately.

Years
fwiw translation has nothing to do with it. The same code, the same languages, hell, almost the same game card (ignoring the system update partition), will be distributed worldwide. The delay is clearly arbitrary here. It probably happened for OR/AS and is happening again now as a sanction from The Pokémon Company. Who knows. If it's a sanction, it's probably because a statistically significant amount of retailers broke the street date. I'm sure they really do want to have the games released globally, but when circumstances wreck it, well, they really wreck it.

If you care enough, go import the game from Australia (who also get it on November 18) — it'll very likely work on European systems.

But if that's the case, wouldn't a delay make it more likely for the street date to be broken again simply due to demand? Most retailers get the games delivered several days in advance, so it's not weird to assume they'll already have the physical games on the 18th; less scrupulous game store employees will most likely sell them already at that time if there are enough people asking for it.

The whole situation is definitely making me consider getting a US 3DS though. I recently moved to a US region (but outside of the US itself... yay for tiny tropical islands) but brought my EU systems and games with me, and I don't even know when I'll be able to get the games here...

MarioManH

top kek
Years
First glance I didn't like them (As I did with every other starter possible), but now I really like all three. I will probably choose Litten.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
fwiw translation has nothing to do with it. The same code, the same languages, hell, almost the same game card (ignoring the system update partition), will be distributed worldwide.
Indeed, XY proves that, they were released simultaneously worldwide.

If it's a sanction, it's probably because a statistically significant amount of retailers broke the street date. I'm sure they really do want to have the games released globally, but when circumstances wreck it, well, they really wreck it.
If it's a sanction, they're acting like kids, it's really childish to be that butthurt 3 years after the street date break which didn't even caused any profit loss to them. They should grow up, get over it and continue worldwide releases like nothing was happened.

If you care enough, go import the game from Australia (who also get it on November 18) — it'll very likely work on European systems.
Since November 18 is friday, the delivery likely takes so long that you wouldn't get the game before European release.

But if that's the case, wouldn't a delay make it more likely for the street date to be broken again simply due to demand? Most retailers get the games delivered several days in advance, so it's not weird to assume they'll already have the physical games on the 18th; less scrupulous game store employees will most likely sell them already at that time if there are enough people asking for it.
Yes and if they've learned from the XY case, they'll do it more secretly, they'll hide the leak by altering the sell date and tell the customers to keep low profile with game before the official release date.

Years
You know back when we were speculating those crystals in the Japanese logos, I first theorized that they would be part of the legendaries' bodies?

Spoiler:

They have diamond-shaped markings on their body, which definitely resemble those crystals so guess I called it after all.

Years
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
You know back when we were speculating those crystals in the Japanese logos, I first theorized that they would be part of the legendaries' bodies?

Spoiler:

They have diamond-shaped markings on their body, which definitely resemble those crystals so guess I called it after all.

Dude , You obviously need something to summon those pokemon .
Those Jewel probably an item that summon and Control them ! Or it could be an hold item that power up their attack.
Now the real question is Their Power scale ! Are These two pokemon Planet buster , Region buster or City buster ? Can their power scale reach Creation Trio ?

I am expecting "Sun Legendary" to have the power to create Stars or Blow Up stars !

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
Rowlet has my attention instantly. I'm hoping its final evolve will be a fierce physical attacking bird. Litten has an interesting design too, seems to be related to Houndoom. Not sure about the baby seal yet, but it will definitely steal the thunder of Walrein and Dewgong. Maybe even Samurott.

The sun lion looks like Entei's albino cousin. Can't really discern the moon monster yet, but it looks glamorous.

I love the idea of an Hawaiian setting. After the American Unova and French Kalos, a more tropical island environment could be great.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
The heads in Japan wouldn't be satisfied with that.
True but they should be smart and punish only the retailers who broke the street date instead of punishing the innocent customers. I can imagine that other game companies are laughing to their childish acting.

I hope that in the future, the games are published directly to eShop simultaneously worldwide so the retailers aren't needed anymore and therefore the street dates can't be broken anymore. The needed technology is already there.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
So the starters went off what is very popular in the internet video \ meme world.. Everywhere you turn on social media sites, you find cat videos (grumpy cat), owl pics and videos, and puppy pics and videos... So they did a great job at this. Do you think the evos will follow any sort of popular theme like gen 6 did.... Greninja ( Naruto), Delphox (Harry Potter Witch), and Chesnaut (Modern warfare \WOW\ Superhero... Not really sure what)

Last edited:
Years
I think they'll follow some kind of popular theme, it'll help them become popular.

There has been theory that the starters could have a circus-inspired theme, with Rowlet's bowtie leaves giving off the ringmaster image, Popplio obviously being based on seals that perform tricks (which is also why ORandAS believes it could learn the move Acrobatics) and Litten I'm not sure about, but I guess it could fit in with firebreathers.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
I like the idea of entertaining circus, but I truly hate how animals are treated in circuses , so I do have hesitations

Years
I like the idea of entertaining circus, but I truly hate how animals are treated in circuses , so I do have hesitations

The PokeCommunity Daily article on the starters mentions they are based on endangered animal species (Rowlet is a pueo, Litten is an Iriomote cat, and Popplio is a Hawaiian monk seal), which could be a sign the plot might have an environmental disaster theme to it.

Back