• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Past Misconceptions

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are some misconceptions you used to have? Be it a kid or just last week, it doesn't matter.

I used to think Home Alone was a horror movie until someone told me, "It's a Christmas classic."

I also thought that the moon "followed me around" and was a snowball when I was little. :')

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    there was a several month period a couple of years ago or so where I thought that Snoop Dogg was dead

I was probably mixing him up with somebody else or something

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    there was a several month period a couple of years ago or so where I thought that Snoop Dogg was dead

It's okay, I used to think the Mandela Effect had merit.

..wait a minute.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • there was a several month period a couple of years ago or so where I thought that Snoop Dogg was dead

TuPac, maybe?

Speaking of the Mandela Effect, I had always believed, in the movie Moonraker, that Dolly - the woman Jaws falls in love with - had braces.

Then, 3 months ago, I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKptMhaTiYI

It was scary, 30 years, I thought she had braces.

Years
  • I took everything literally as a kid bc I was a kid and autism.

My mom would talk about "the man on the moon" and I thought there was an actual man living on the moon, I also thought it was made of cheese.
    Another time, my mom (gettin real tired of your shit mom) said i came from a cabbage patch so i went outside to look for babies.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 6, 2023
    Due to not knowing much english at the time, I thought "releasing" a pokemon meant it was killed! Maybe I predicted Nuzlocke rules a decade years in advance

Years
  • I didn't know there was ACTUALLY a place called Transylvannia until I saw a video on youtube for it. It's a place in Romania I think, and no it does NOT have all the spook lore it's known for (I know I spelt the name sorry).

Last edited:
    Years
  • OMG SAME.

I used to also think my toys had something inside of their eyes if they had shiny eyes. I used to think they were always watching me.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I used to think Britain didn't deserve to be bathed in nuclear fire

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I used to think that "passing away" and "passing out" meant the same thing. 6 year old me thought that a (distant) uncle had died when in fact he just blacked out at a local bar after having a few too many.

And don't get me started on my thinking that "broken heart" and "heart attack" were the same thing too, lol My cousin who I thought was way too young to have a heart attack? Turns out he just got dumped by his girlfriend.

Last edited:
    Years
  • My dad used to tell me as a kid that if my shoelace got caught in the escalator, the escalator would eat me. He also told me every time he farted that his fart would follow me around the house. Oh and my dumbass thought my heart was inside of my titty not my ribcage for the first 15 years of my life. I was not a bright child.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    When I was very young, I used to think that people before colour television actually lived and saw the world in black and white. My parents laughed at me for that one. :D

I think the other biggest childhood misconception was getting mindblown when I found out pickles were not an entirely new vegetable, just cucumbers preserved in juice etc. That one took me a long time to realise unfortunately....

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    There was supposed to be an 8th day in a week. Although it really doesn't matter how many there is.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I thought solo travel would be stressful, boring and scary.

Not even close. It's exciting and empowering. You learn a lot about yourself and about others.

Back