• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Nuzlocke Challenge

Coldweather

A special snowflake.
Years
  • Let's do it!!

Username: Coldweather
    Version: Sapphire
    Single/Ultimate?: Single

Edit: oh god my wurmple

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Xander's Pokemon Challenges

Pokemon Soulsilver Nuzlocke

My Badges: 4

Notes: I was able to take down Morty with Fearow - Pursuit, am curretly deciding which gym leader I'm going to take on next.

My Team:

Arbok Lv. 26
    Fearow Lv. 26
    Gloom Lv. 25
    Goldeen Lv. 24
    Krabby Lv. 22
    Sudowoodo Lv. 21

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Let's aim for a powerful episode today, folks. We still got encounters to snag and gyms to destroy along with tons of Messiah's goons to send packing.

Episode 8 - The Eradication of Messiah's Goons

Spoiler:

Stormelli

Chillin' like a villain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2016
    I've only ever done one other Nuzlocke before now, and failed miserably. Round 2, START!

Username:
    Game: Alpha Sapphire
    Other Rules: Shiny Clause and Dupes Clause. I'm also going to leave the Exp. Share on only for grinding. Don't want to go TOO crazy with difficulty just yet...

I probably won't post about it, but my challenge, personally, will end after I've completed the post game, killed all legendaries that are part of the storyline (so not the Hoopa rift ones), and defeated the E4 a second time.

Tomorrow I'm pre-ordering Sun from Gamestop and I'm gonna grab Soul Silver along with it as I've never played a Johto game before, so maybe I'll try the Ultimate challenge after, as long as this challenge goes okay... heh...

I'll post my progress tomorrow!

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • So I'm kinda salty right now because a Calm Mind Misdreavus just swept my entire team and killed my Fuligin Nuzlocke. But there's only one way to take out my frustration, and that's by destroying people in my good old Black Nuzlocke.

Episode 9 - The Squad Falls Apart

Spoiler:

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2018
    username: mardovelin
    game: blue
    single/ultimate?: single
    other rules: duplicates Clause because i don't want 10 zubats and 10 caterpies...

edit:

part 1...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • So before we begin the finale, let me just say one thing. Up to this point, I've done the entirety of this locke through nothing but muscle memory. I did not look up any gym leaders teams or what mons I could catch on a route. I'm extremely afraid of the Elite Four, so I broke my personal rule and looked up what I'm up against.

Along with that, because I clearly don't have the time to grind three team members 20+ levels for the six remaining battles, so I used experience codes to help make grinding go by faster. Pretty sure that isn't against the rules since it's not like I hacked in any items or gave all my mons perfect IVs. Anyway, with that aside, let us begin the Elite Four.

Finale - Tatsuya's Truths and Messiah's Ideals

Spoiler:

And now with that complete, I shall return to the Shadow Realm for now. Soon, we will return to Unova for our Eternal Punishment. Until then, though...back to the Shadow Realm.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    So, I just completed a Yellow Nuzlocke and realized that I forgot to even sign up... So...

Username: XxHarryxX
    Game: Yellow
    Single (for now, I'm working on one for Pearl as well and might just expand to ultimate later)
    Other rules: No dupes (if they're alive), event Pokemon not allowed (no Charmander, Squirtle, Eevee, etc.)

I didn't keep the most precise detail as to how every part of the game went, but... I can at least appraise you of my final team and the ones who perished throughout the journey!

Final Team:
    Poliwrath
    : Fished up at Lv. 10 in Cerulean City as a Poliwag, final Lv. 52, Surf/Amnesia/Ice Beam/Submission
    Victreebel: Caught at Lv. 12 on Route 25 as a Bellsprout, final lv. 51, Razor Leaf/Body Slam/Wrap/Poisonpowder
    Dugtrio: Caught at Lv. 15 in Diglett's Cave as a Diglett, final lv. 53, Earthquake/Rock Slide/Slash/Cut
    Dodrio: Caught at Lv. 22 on Route 16 as a Doduo, final Lv. 57, Drill Peck/Fly/Tri Attack/Agility

Observations - Dodrio is one that I'd never really used before, but its high attack and speed make it pretty good, particularly in Gen 1 since it can outrun Alakazams and OHKO them with Drill Peck. Victreebel has a pretty terrible movepool... Poliwrath is pretty easy to level up due to its speed and the power of Surf on the Rock/Ground types - I was leveling it up at ~Lv 30 in Victory Road. Dugtrio - see Dodrio.

Rest in Peace:
    Pikachu:
    Passed away at Lv. 8 while training in Viridian Forest against a Caterpie - got a critical hit. Sad day and kind of embarrassing, but at least I didn't need to deal with Pikachu much later in the game - it is really not that good from my previous experiences.
    Oddish: Passed away at Lv. 15 while fighting the Youngster with his Slowpoke on Route 25 - Confusion got a critical hit. Oddish would've been solid and I was looking forward to Petal Dance, but it was just not to be. Victreebel proved to be an OK substitute, but not a great one.
    Mankey: Passed away at Lv. 24 on Route 9 while fighting Meowth. Mankey was actually proving pretty useful as a fighting type...
    Machop: Passed away at Lv. 19 while training in the wild in Rock Tunnel. Oops.
    Butterfree: Passed away at Lv. 32 due to a critical hit from a super-effective Sludge from Koffing on Route 16. Forgot about Bug being weak to Poison in this game... Oops.
    Nidoking: Passed away at Lv. 40 due to a critical hit from Drowzee in Silph Co. Thrash was proving quite powerful, it's too bad the common themes of supereffective critical hits affected me drastically...
    Magneton: Passed away at Lv. 32 due to a critical hit while training in the wild. Magneton was basically in the daycare for a while, got leveled up once, and then died. Pretty terrible movepool, so wasn't a huge loss, though it did make Lance's Gyarados an adventure...
    Seadra: Passed away at Lv. 47 when Giovanni scored a critical hit with his Nidoqueen's Thunder. Dangit. Just wasn't powerful enough... Seadra was proving to be pretty good, too! Though no Kingdra in yellow...
    Nidoking: (Yep, another one! Nidorino on Route 23) Passed away at Lv. 50 against Lance's Gyarados. He couldn't OHKO with Thunderbolt (though he did paralyze) and fell victim to a CH Hydro Pump... Cleared the way for Dodrio to finish off Gyarados and for Poliwrath to step in the rest of the way.

Couple other observations that will hopefully carry over to future Nuzlockes:
    - I got a bit reckless (probably partially due to the 4x speed I had from playing on Pokemon Stadium 2) and could've probably prevented a death or two along the way.
    - I saved TM's until the Elite Four, basically. Prevented me from using up Thunderbolt and Ice Beam on mons who died.
    - I had 8 rare candies and used them right before the final battle - I do think that it helped Dodrio outspeed Alakazam!

As mentioned above, I'm working on another one...

Username: XxHarryxX
    Game: Pearl
    Single (for now, might just expand to ultimate later)
    Other rules: No dupes (if they're alive)

Looking forward to it!

Years
  • Username: LRachelR5
    Game: White
    Single/ ultimate: Single
    Other rules: Dupes clause active for all evolution lines of caught pokemon dead or alive. And gift pokemon like the elemental monkeys count as a separate encounter so I can still get a encounter on that route.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Username: Magical Horseman
    Game: Fire Red
    Single/ultimate: Single
    Other rules: Nickname all pokemon, Separated areas, NPC trades and gifts don't count as area encounter.

This is my first Nuzlocke challenge so I went a little easier on myself. About to face Brock and my team is as follows:

Charles/Charmander lvl 15
    Ace/Pidgey lvl 12
    Princess/Kakuna lvl 8
    Jessie/pidgey lvl 4

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I've been playing through my Emerald game, and finding that I enjoy Hoenn a lot more when there's a threat of death hanging over my Pokemon.

Currently, I'm at Jagged Pass, where I just caught a Spoink. And lost a member of my team, Fluckite the Mightyena. I wasn't paying much attention to his battle. I was hoping to take him as far as he could go, which I guess was up to a battle against a random Magnemite.

The team's slowly falling behind the stat curve, but they're sturdy little Pokemon. Hopefully they can handle what's coming next.

The team:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Username: skimsy
    Version: EDIT: heart gold
    Other Rules: Can't buy potions/other heals, nickname all pokemon, No Duplicate Captures

Last edited:
    Years
  • Episode #1: New Beginnings
    Spoiler:

Episode #2: First Death...
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    Username: Thepowaofhax
    Version: Pokemon Yellow
    Single
    Other Rules: Dupes Clause, you must nickname all of your Pokemon, gift clause.

Wish me luck.

Edit: Update 1.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 9, 2016
    OP has been updated.

This will be my last update, as ownership will soon (hopefully) go back to Volga.

Years
  • I'm back!

UPDATE #19: SIMON SAYS, "SCREW YOU, CLAIR"
    Spoiler:

UPDATE #20: IRONY, THY NAME IS ESPEON
    Spoiler:

UPDATE #21: LONG ROAD AHEAD
    Spoiler:

CURRENT OBJECTIVE:
    Prepare to fight the Elite Four and the Champion at Indigo Plateau.

ACTIVE TEAM (IN ROTATION):
    Spoiler:

BOXED:
    Spoiler:

DEATHS:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Oct 9, 2016
    It was at that point that I discovered that it isn't possible to get hold of a Magnezone in HGSS without trading, so - still within the rules - I borrowed my sister's 3DS and her copy of Diamond so I could let Maxwell level up in Mount Coronet. Soon enough, he was at level 31, and evolved into my first ever Magnezone.

I just noticed this after reading through some posts (I read through some of them because it's like reading little stories) :3

I would say this is against the rules, as it's not within the limits of the game. However, I guess I hadn't made this clear, so I can let this one slide and allow it. (It is now clarified in the OP)
    But for any future nuzlockes, it'd be good to avoid doing this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2020
    Username: FreakReborn
    Game: Soul Silver
    Single
    Optional Rules: No Dupes, Must Nickname

Custom rule: first pokemon is randomly generated.
    (hopefully this is acceptable)

Last edited:
    Back