• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Metric or Imperial?

Aduitt

Confused
Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Debate Topic:
    What is the best form of measurement: The 'Metric System', or the 'Imperial System'.

Note:
    - Metric System = Kilograms, Litres, Kilometres
    - Imperial System = Pounds, Gallons, Miles

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Debate Topic:
    What is the best form of measurement: The 'Metric System', or the 'Imperial System'.

Note:
    - Metric System = Kilograms, Litres, Kilometres
    - Imperial System = Pounds, Gallons, Miles

To me I'd say the Metric since it corresponds with similar numbering types on all the boards, "Kilogram, Kiloliter, Kilometer" while the Imperial system has a new word for each one.

It also can be helpful (the metric method) when it comes to going into large large numbers like Hectoliter = 26.4172 Gallons = 100 liters)
    We can go off the numbering prefixes of these words which makes it easier to a degree than going with new ones like (quart, pint, cup)

Years
  • The metric system not only follows naming conventions but scales up or down much more conveniently. I'd say it's a better system by a long shot.

Last edited:

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • But what about ?ngstr?m and Dalton?

In all seriousness, the metric system is not only what I grew up with, it's also a lot more convenient. It's clear, scales nicely and actually makes sense. (Most feet are not a foot in length for example, that always confused me.)

Years
  • I was taught only metric, being Canadian, so that.
    But I won't say imperial is less.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    The Imperial system has never made sense to me, perhaps that's just due to my limited exposure to it.

Metric all the way. It's simple and easy to comprehend.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2022
    In England (where I live), we mostly use the metric system, occasionally using the imperial system, for things like miles, and some people use on odd weight measuring system known as stone (don't ask me to explain it, it's a pain and hardly anyone uses it anyway). So yeah, metric all the way.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    idk which is "better", but at this point the few places that still use imperial should probably just switch to metric, so everyone's using the same system

except for everyday weather temperature stuff, Fahrenheit > Celsius for me

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • idk which is "better", but at this point the few places that still use imperial should probably just switch to metric, so everyone's using the same system

except for everyday weather temperature stuff, Fahrenheit > Celsius for me

You forgot Kelvin, heh.

Extremes for the win.

Years
  • I fully support Metrication of the United States, and I seriously wish they would convert, that way I don't have to fucking do the math for my friends in Canada whenever I talk about the weather between here and there, and vice-versa.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I?m not entirely sure what the genesis or reason the Imperial system was adopted(probably to not be like the Europeans), the Metric system employs powers of 10. I don?t know about you but powers of 10 is incredibly powerful seeing as our primary Mathematical system(basic math or addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Throw in Exponents while we are at it since powers of 10 involve Scientific notation) is centered around it. Those in Science use SI units and seeing as they?re the kilogram, liter and Atmospheres(or mmHg, Torr, Pascals via conversion), it makes a lot more sense to be Metric. Furthermore Imperial, to my knowledge, can?t differentiate between mass and volume very well.

I grew up on Imperial but I?d support going to Metric.

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • Metric is almost by definition better as it is a well-built, scalable, integrable standard. The part about how many X is an Y is already done and will continue to work forever no matter how or what units you plug into it - even if I don't really foresee anyone telling me the next meeting is in two kilominutes (about 33 and a quarter hours if anyone's asking). But the part where it scales in a clear and predictable way is really important: if a foot is kinda like three inches, why is not a gallon kinda like three ounces, or stuff like that?

Then again, I don't think anyone would say that fencing a terrain with a perimeter of 2.6 decayards would somehow not make sense. It's just that if it's already hard trying to figure out what even a yard is, imagine 2.6?10 of that. From what I gather, none of the imperial units are named any close to what they mean (feet, inches) or they would represent (gallon); SI / metric, having designed from the ground up, ddoes not have that expectation built in.

All that said, both metric and imperial can go take a hike as soon as anyone adopts the FFF system at wider colloquial usage. It will be decifortnights before they can pry them from my fingers.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Metric. I don't know why America still uses the Imperial system. 99% of the world uses Metric. Why can't we just get with the program already? :x

Years
  • Metric, or as Kai Ai mentioned a mix of both.

Although I was raised with imperial, it is extremely rare to see this system outside of the United States. There are only two other countries that use Imperial, Myanmar and Liberia. So I think it would be a good thing for my country to recognize what is standard throughout the world. We were really supposed to have switched to metric back in 1975.

Back