• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the most unusual team you have used to beat the games

Years
  • What Pokemon that you normally wouldn't use in a team have helped you to beat the game.

The list only goes up to Scarlet & Violet

Ruby

Sceptile
    Pelipper
    Camerupt
    Zangoose
    Dusclops
    Mightyena

Sapphire

Blaziken
    Tropius
    Seviper
    Wailord
    Banette
    Glalie

Emerald

Swampert
    Swellow
    Torkoal
    Flygon
    Sableye
    Chimecho

Colosseum

Espeon
    Skarmory
    Octillery
    Heracross
    Piloswine
    Ariados

XD: Gale of Darkness

Jolteon
    Cloyster
    Ninetales
    Sandslash
    Gardevoir
    Fearow

FireRed

Blastoise
    Dodrio
    Magneton
    Weezing
    Golem
    Hypno

LeafGreen

Venusaur
    Fearow
    Electrode
    Dewgong
    Flareon
    Nidoking

Diamond

Infernape
    Chatot
    Rampardos
    Pachirisu
    Lumineon
    Weavile

Pearl

Torterra
    Crobat
    Bibarel
    Hippowdon (Male)
    Rapidash
    Bastidon

Platinum

Empoleon
    Noctowl
    Houndoom
    Luxray
    Mothim
    Froslass

HeartGold

Typhlosion
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Politoed
    Hitmontop
    Sunflora

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Skarmory
    Corsola
    Ursaring
    Magcargo (Egg from Primo hatched as Slugma)
    Umbreon

Black

Emboar
    Mandibuzz
    Galvantula
    Ferrothorn
    Excadrill
    Haxorus

White

Serperior
    Braviary
    Darmanitan
    Scolipede
    Alomomola
    Emolga

Black 2

Samurott
    Swoobat
    Gothitelle (Male)
    Lilligant
    Klinklang
    Chandelure

White 2

Emboar
    Swanna
    Crustle
    Sawsbuck (Summer Form)
    Cofagrigus
    Beartic

X

Delphox
    Hawlucha
    Heliolisk
    Diggersby
    Gourgeist (Super Size)
    Clawizter

Y

Chesnaught
    Noivern
    Pyroar (Male)
    Dedenne
    Goodra
    Florges

Omega Ruby

Sceptile
    Altaria
    Sharpedo
    Dustox
    Delcatty
    Claydol

Alpha Sapphire

Blaziken
    Swellow
    Crawdaunt
    Ludicolo
    Beautifly
    Grumpig

Sun

Incineroar
    Togedemaru
    Araquanid
    Alolan Muk
    Lurantis
    Bewear

Moon

Decidueye
    Alolan Raichu
    Salazzle
    Bruxish
    Tsareena
    Mimikyu

Ultra Sun

Primarina
    Toucanonn
    Cutiefly
    Palossand
    Salazzle
    Comfey

Ultra Moon

Incineroar
    Alolan Golem
    Toxapex
    Kommo-o
    Bewear
    Golisopod

Sword

Rillaboom
    Cramorant
    Grapploct
    Centiskorch
    Greedent
    Hatterene

Shield

Inteleon
    Boltund
    Orbeetle
    Centiskorch
    Copperajah
    Grimmsnarl

Brilliant Diamond

Infernape
    Chatot
    Magnezone
    Gastrodon (East Sea)
    Lopunny
    Skuntank

Shining Pearl

Torterra
    Crobat
    Gallade
    Purugly
    Lumineon
    Lucario

Let's Go Pikachu

Pikachu
    Fearow
    Sandslash
    Golduck
    Magmar
    Vileplume

Let's Go Eevee

Eevee
    Pidgeot
    Raichu
    Arbok
    Kingler
    Rapidash

Legends Arceus

Decidueye (Hisuian)
    Arcanine (Hisuian
    Ursaluna
    Electivire (Alpha)
    Garchomp (Alpha)
    Gastrodon (East Sea) (Alpha)

Scarlet

Quaquaval
    Kilowattrel
    Pawmot
    Scovillain
    Farigiraf
    Baxcalibur

Violet

Skeledirge
    Kilowattrel
    Palafin
    Espathra
    Cetitian
    Daschbun

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Most unusual was probably my Pokémon Sun team: Passimian, Tsareena, Oricorio, Mismagius, Bruxish, Muk.

Years
  • Half of my BDSP team was unusual and things I've never actually used the whole way through! They were:

Lumineon
    Mothim
    Purugly

In Crystal, I did a Shuckle-only run and literally beat the E4 with it. I was like, 11 or 12?

Can't remember other full teams besides those two, but I've used other unusual mons before too - like Pachirisu in DP, and Pichu in RSE. The latter was absolutely not easy lol.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hmm.

With monotypes: the X Dark team of Krookodile, Drapion, Hydreigon, Malamar, Greninja, and Houndoom. Nods to Drapion in particular for being amazing. Spammed Acupressure against the Champion's +6 Attack Hawlucha. (Owes Malamar's opening Reflect and a lucky +2 Defense on the first Acupressure some credit too.) Swept it.

Finds it more difficult to say in custom challenges. Swaps team members often in those, by design. Winds up with some strange and some not. Would say either:
    - Moon team of Tauros, Primeape, Crustle, Chandelure, Electrode, and Passimian. Leaned on Crustle a lot that playthrough. Tanked several totems thanks to Curse, Shell Armor, and Leftovers/Eviolite. Enjoyed Electrode with Eerie Impulse as well.

- Moon team of Druddigon, Mawile (non-Mega), Audino, Magmortar, Electivire, and Rampardos. Forced a massive team swap just after Lusamine 2. (Replaced Kanto Ninetales, Pidgeot, Primeape, and Lopunny with Mawile, Audino, Magmortar, and Electivire.) Actually used everyone a fair degree at the end. Notices Mawile popping up in the log a lot, considering its poor stats. Evidently defeated Blue in postgame with Audino at the forefront at a 6-7 level disadvantage. Stalled heavily in the 45 turn battle. Only burned two items. (Admittedly lost once to Blue too. Shh.)

Years
  • Three teams come to mind when I think of my most unusual teams.

First one was on my first playthrough of Crystal from about 10 years ago, I just wanted to complete the game quickly so I didn't really think about the balance of my team and ended up with 3 water types and one unevolved Pokemon. The team was:

- Feraligatr
    - Growlithe (never found the Fire Stone)
    - Parasect
    - Sudowoodo
    - Red Gyarados
    - Suicune

Got all the way to Red but was never able to beat him with this team and I was also super underleveled. I tried 3 or 4 times to best Red but never got past his Pikachu so I gave up.

The second one was also on Crystal but on Virtual Console, I did this playthrough a couple of years ago and my goal was to build a very weird and unique team so that's what I did. The team was:

- Meganium
    - Donphan
    - Unown I (yes, I've actually used Unown lol)
    - Electabuzz
    - Farfetch'd
    - Suicune

This time around I had a lot more experience with Pokemon and battling so I was actually able to beat Red with this team and on my first try at that.

The last one was from this years playthrough of Pokemon Sapphire, I opened a bunch of Pokemon TCG packs from the few recent sets and the fully evolved Pokemon I pulled ended up as my team on Sapphire. The team was:

- Masquerain
    - Sableye
    - Magcargo
    - Tropius
    - Heracross
    - Relicanth

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Definitely my runs of only monotypes. Started in DPPt and I've been kinda doing it ever since!

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I did a hg run with Pokémon I would never catch. It was seaking, raticate, and some third low tier Pokémon I can't remember.

Years
  • Outside of monotype and randomised runs? 4/6 of my team for my recent Brilliant Diamond run were Pokemon I haven't used much before.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I don't consider many of my teams unusual, but I have run through the game with nonstandard team structures. In both of my Crystal VC playthroughs, for example, I had parties of only four Pokémon. If I can remember correctly, I used Typholsion, Noctowl, Poliwrath and the Red Gyarados for the first one, and Feraligatr, Noctowl (again), Magneton and Dragonite for the second one. I have also repeated parties for the most part in games that have similar plots (e.g. Diamond and Platinum, Emerald and Alpha Sapphire, Sun and Ultra Sun).

If it is considered unusual, I have also completed a Ghost monotype run in Ultra Sun - one of the only games in which you can do so without ditching the starter. My team there was Decidueye, Mismagius, Palossand, Gengar, Drifblim and the ever so adorable Totem-sized Mimikyu. Looking back, I didn't get as attached to that team as I did to the "only" Ghost-type in my other teams (except perhaps for my starter and Mimikyu), but it was a fun experience. If the chance should arise again, I would love to complete a mono-Ghost run in another game!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    I've only beat Yellow, Crystal and Y.

In Y my team was

Delphox
    Gogoat
    Emolga
    Klefki
    Dragonite
    Mew (just for Surf)

A lot of people hated Emolga and Klefki so used them because I thought they were unique. I did it in a way where I used a different Pokemon for each of the champions and rivals teams.

agravedigger

Fossil Maniac
    Years
  • probably my Black nuzlocke team! I headed for N and Ghetsis with: stoutland, krookodile, seismitoad, chandelure and unfezant. krookodile is a very neat mon, but I never used any of the other 4!

Years
  • Remembering another team! In RS I did a playthrough with just Plusle and Minun. Not easy but a lot of fun to use those two in doubles. ❤️ No one seems to care for them at all and I never see anyone use either of them.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I had this team before in Soul Silver:

Meganium
    Typhlosion
    Feraligatr
    Weavile
    Dialga
    Lugia

I'd managed to get Arceus in Pearl through the void glitch and traded it to Soul Silver to do the Sinjoh Ruins event, giving me a Level 1 Dialga early in the game.

I also traded some eggs to get the other two starters plus Sneasel. I think this is the best team I've ever had before beating a game.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Blue:
    Blastoise, Venusaur, Charizard, Nidoking, Scyther, Venomoth

^ The first team I ever had in a Pokemon game.

Gold:
    Ampharos, Flareon, Sneasel, Meganium, Ditto, Lugia (I even used an Unown (H) at some point)

^ My first real Gold team back then

A recent Blue Playthrough:
    Venusaur, Dodrio, Onix, Ninetales, Seadra, (actually forgot the sixth Pokemon ^^")

^ Onix was surprisingly ok in that playthrough.

Back