• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Returning Characters

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Recent games have included major characters from other games appearing in other games as an Easter egg or a way to tie in a story. Examples: Looker, Cynthia, Ingo - etc.

Now that we know what this region looks like... who would we like to see return or have a major role in these games? With G5 remakes happening within this generation will we see G5 characters appear more? Lemme know your thoughts :)

Years
    • Seen today
    Someday I would like to see an updated Champion's Tournament similar to Black/White 2. With Diantha, Kukui/Hau, and Leon being included.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Wahtever it is, I don't want to see a whole bunch of returning characters. Gen7 had like 8 returning character and while there is nothing wrong with it, I think it's kind of jarring, especially since recurring characters aren't common otherwise and weren't done a lot before that. I really don't know why I have a problem with it.

But like someone said, something like the PWT would be the best way to return the old characters! That I won't mind the slightest.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I would also like PWT to make a return. But if I had a few characters that I'd want to return, it be Looker and AZ. Gen 6 kinda left looker in a weird place and hasn't really had any explanation, then randomly appears in Gen 7 as if nothing happened other than being with a Frontier Brain. I think Az deserves to be in the game given the close proximity that it may have with Kalos. I would love if Leaf returned alone without Red and Blue.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Im all up for bringing back old characters, but can we do it like, they travel to another region for some reason like normal people, instead of having them be brought to another world after traveling through time and space while also losing their memories and potentially not going back to where they belong?

I hate fallers, the concept itself isn't bad, but it could be treated with a lot more of... how's it called? Relevance? It's insane how it's been done so poorly by the franchise's (lack of) narrative. Anabelle in SM is literally just "hey look, we didn't forget about the Battle Frontier in ORAS, see? Anabelle is right here! She was fighting interdimensional aliens, got sucked up by a wormhole and lost her memories, though.... What?? Take her back to her universe?? Pfff don't be silly, she's not doing anything else for the rest of the game, now go catch those aliens we gotta pretend we have a postgame here."

And no, I don't expect them to give this issue any relevance with SV either, because that's what Arceus could've been about if it had a plot to begin with.

PWT or at least what was done with SM's Battle Tree would be much better, honestly

Years
  • Honestly, I'd love them. I love when they connect the generations like this. PWT is an epic idea that I'd also love to see but can I also see how my son Silver is doing? Very, very unlikely but... one can dream. T_T

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Views cameos of old characters in a new region slightly negatively. Shoehorns them in. Furthers nothing about the character. Usually rehashes what happened in their game for the bulk of their dialogue. Acknowledges that possibility with any cameo, though. (Looking at you, Tales of Symphonia 2.)

Would be open to revisiting an old region X years later, however. (Greenlights that downloadable content idea, Nintendo.) Describes that as potentially more natural. Specifies Hop in particular. Sprung the dream of becoming a Pokemon Professor someday on you at the last moment. Never sees Hop in that role. Shut the book on players too fast. Deserves a look-in.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Curiously, Sword and Shield had no more than a mere reference to Kurt from Johto - no visiting characters from previous games at all. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2020/07/07/galars-isolation-from-the-rest-of-the-pokemon-world/ It certainly struck me as odd, although I agree that I rather this than people who have forgotten who they are without some perspective on that like in Legends Arceus.

I'd like to see Looker again, just more of him in the style of Platinum/BW/XY's postgame, not the SM offering and certainly not the ORAS appearance level!

+1 to something along the likes of the Pokemon World Tournament.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • I found it strange that Sw/Sh featured no returning characters at all too, so I'd like ScaVio to compensate for it. I'd like these characters to be aged up the number of years that have passed between their original appearance and the new games, just to show some sort of linear timeline progression. I don't dislike Fallers as someone mentioned here, but I do believe the time-travel shenanigans introduced in PLA are complicating things unnecessarily and I'd like to go back to something like seeing a slightly older Iris in B2/W2 or young adult Red and Blue in S/M. And please, PLEASE no Cynthia! I've had quite enough of her after Johto, Unova, Alola, the recent Sinnoh hype and her two possible ancestors in PLA. It honestly feels like I can't escape her no matter where I go, and it's creeping me out.

If possible... I would like to know who the standing Champion of the Indigo League is as of ScaVio. If it's still Lance, then I'm excited to see a slightly older version of him. If it's not him, though... then I'd like to see that Koga finally made it to Champion. :D

Back