• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The world of Pokemon technology is starting to make less sense to me every time

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • like how are there phones and cameras in legends arceus aren't those games like hundreds of years in the past?

what are some in game Pokemon technology you don't understand why it's there?

Jiggykoopbob

Local Pokémon loving Goomba. (Flair theme: SM64DS)
    Years
  • I never noticed the phones and cameras in any of the Legends Arceus trailers yet. But yes, that is indeed quite weird.

Well considering that the world of Pokémon is fictional and doesn't exist in real life, One can assume that Game Freak would incorporate complicated technology that is far more advanced then what we have here on earth.
    In fictional media, you can do pretty much anything. And Game Freak seemed to make good use of that if you ask me.

One technological device that i so far could not really understand is the trade mark Poké-ball. I can make a separate thread specifically about this, But i ain't sure if people would be okey with that.

Years
  • Aha, my first thought seeing the phone in Legends was.... this doesn't seem like it fits! I think we should've had something else instead, like a magical scroll using a mysterious (Arceus's) power to perform multiple functions. They could've made up an alternative that blended better with the setting/time-period but I suppose it's not a huge deal, the Pokémon world is definitely very advanced tech-wise.

I love some of the items in Pokémon altogether though. Things like the VS Seeker and PokéNav can apparently read minds to see who wants to rebattle - it's crazy advanced. :'D

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokémon technology was allways ridiculous, even more in the first games.

Teleporting devices and capsules that can somehow store physical creatures inside a virtual space? of course man, even Feudal Japan had that stuff.

Want to travel past a dark cave or a small tree blocking the path? Well, find the specific person in the entire region who will give you a disk so you can teach your Pokémon how to bypass those obstacles, only after defeating the specific gym leader that will give you permission to use those moves outside battle.

Flashlights? Chainsaws? Nah, that's way too advanced.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Photography in general being in Legends: Arceus doesn't seem strange to me since I think that the game takes place closer to the modern era than people think. From what we've seen so far, I get the feeling that it takes place 150-200 years before the time of main series games. Since Pokemon seems to roughly coincide with the time line of the real world, this would place L:A in the equivalent of the 1800s, when Japan was having contact with Europe+the USA for the first time after centuries of isolation, and is also when photography was invented. if I'm remembering things right anyway

The phone is weird though since the telephone wouldn't be invented until the end of the 1800s, and a phone that takes pictures wasn't really a thing until the 21st century. But this is also a world where they have stuff beyond what we can do now like warp panels and the ability to safely and easily store living beings in PokeBalls and computers.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Photography in general being in Legends: Arceus doesn't seem strange to me since I think that the game takes place closer to the modern era than people think. From what we've seen so far, I get the feeling that it takes place 150-200 years before the time of main series games. Since Pokemon seems to roughly coincide with the time line of the real world, this would place L:A in the equivalent of the 1800s, when Japan was having contact with Europe+the USA for the first time after centuries of isolation, and is also when photography was invented. if I'm remembering things right anyway

The phone is weird though since the telephone wouldn't be invented until the end of the 1800s, and a phone that takes pictures wasn't really a thing until the 21st century. But this is also a world where they have stuff beyond what we can do now like warp panels and the ability to safely and easily store living beings in PokeBalls and computers.

photos definitely did exist in the 1800s but you probably only got them...once in your life which is why it doesn't make sense to me why they're like the modern world in legends arceus

but it's a fantasy game with anime creatures they can do anything they want i suppose

I see some other things that people said don't make sense, but I'm too lazy to multi quote.

I do agree that being able to store hundreds of Pokemon in the PC didn't make sense back in the day, but I've seen people theorize that Pokemon are turned into digitized data while inside your pc. Definitely doesn't make sense in the earliest few generations, though, especially generation I since the internet didn't exist in the scope it did in 1996.

(I wish cloud storage could do this in real life btw)

Laughing at "a flashlight is too advanced" tbh I never questioned TMs or HMs, except for how you actually teach them to Pokemon. I know there's a cutscene in FR/LG where you put the HM/TM on top of the Pokemon's....head? So, are you just beaming the move into the Pokemon's head by placing the HM/TM there? Also don't get why they're shaped like CDs/DVDs.

I've never questioned Pokeballs, though. I do wonder how releasing Pokemon in the anime works, though, because that's never explained how the technology of a Pokeball determines whether a trainer is sending it out or releasing it into the wild.

The Holo Caster also is weird to me a bit? Maybe that's just because I can't fathom holographic devices being something that would ever catch on in the real world. To the scale they are in X/Y, that is.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Remember how in G/S/C, they wanted to explain the fact that you could trade Pokemon back to the previous games, which are supposed to take place several years ago in the timeline, so they just - had Bill casually invent a time machine??

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Umm...guys, they have flashlights in the world of Pokémon. Just the only place you use it is in Hearthome City Gym because reasons.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Views automobiles as strange. Understands public transportation systems, like a bullet train. Depicts very few asphalt roads outside of major cities, however. Walks along dirt paths most of the way. Curves and weaves too much to be suited for automobiles. Seems too impractical to exist.

Back