• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Pokémon BDSP previews bring mixed news and strange decisions

Pokémon BDSP preview brings mixed news and strange decisions

Pokémon BDSP preview brings mixed news and strange decisions

Just how worried should you be about single-use TMs returning or an Exp. Share that remains on forever? We go over that and more from a hands-off preview.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • News, mixed with some opinions by yours truly! Hot takes are had (well, maybe just the one, I don't think anything else I said will be disagreed with by most. But now you have to click to find out the hot take, ahahaha

But yeah that Exp. Share isn't turning off =(

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Ugh.... why are we going back to single TM use.... it is one of the dumbest things in game and is why I hate playing the older games sometimes.... and when I do, I use a action replay to get 99 of each. It is also one big thing I hated in Sword and Shield.... just why.....

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Going back to single use TMs is such a strange decision, I understand they wanted to stay true to the original but if Gen 3 remake has them why doesn't the Gen 4 remake have them either? But even so, why would they want to remove other things not named statues from secret bases when the Gen 3 remake had other stuff as well? At the very least they are better optimizing weather and status? At least hoping it doesn't turn battles to a crawl like SwSh's raid battles where it will be resolved one at a time. It's also unfortunate it is on the same day as Endwalker's early access as well for those wanting to play either the newest Pokemon game or the latest expansion. I'm not playing this day 1 since I'd rather play Endwalker plus I have school but I'm still hoping the remakes will be enjoyed for those wanting to play it.

Years
  • Going back to single use TMs is definitely a bizarre, unnecessary change. The devs sure have some explaining to do on that one.

That said, I'd be much more OK with it if they make it relatively easy to get multiples (e.g. a shop in the postgame that has every TM for sale).

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    None of this bothers me in the slightest.

Single use TM is weird I'll admit but it is what it is I guess. I'm disappointed that I can't have whoever I want in Amity Square but as long as I can have whoever I want elsewhere that's still good enough for me.

Also there is literally nothing wrong with the Exp. Share and just proves that the complaints about it are those who want more of a 'challenge' or whatever and complain about Pokemon being 'too easy' or whatever.

If you want a challenge... just do a nuzlocke or whatever (which I'll also never do). If that's still not good enough... go play Dark Souls (which I'll also never play)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    kinda weird how they were like "HMs are now accessed via the Bidoof app" and then turn around and bring back single-use TMs

what's even the point of going back to that really

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    kinda weird how they were like "HMs are now accessed via the Bidoof app" and then turn around and bring back single-use TMs

what's even the point of going back to that really

This is a running theme with anything Nintendo related.

There's usually a good decision backed behind something completely bizarre.

Years
  • I am meh about the single TM use, but am not surprised on EXP share. I like EXP share myself, honestly.

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
    Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    These changes are so odd, they stay faithful for things that don't need it at all like the single TM usage, but then other things they update, very weird.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Sigh. Not surprised about Exp Share, but quite disappointed.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I don't mind seeing some more restrictions to TMs, tbh. I don't know if going back to the old system is the right way to do it, though. Maybe if they try to push a fun feature of the new games then I can see them putting more TMs behind said feature. But so far we haven't gotten any such reveals. It's either going to be a killer feature they keep until the end. Or it's going to be somethingtedious (probably).

I don't mind the EXP-Share. I play in Switch mode, anyway. That mitigates the EXP gain somewhat.

Not sure if advertising a feature as "we took out all the cool stuff and replaced it with statues" is a good advertising move. Then again, Secret Bases aren't what they used to be. Even the ORAS ones were somewhat strange to me...

Years
  • I think SwSh actually got the balance right with TMs, and the situation sounds similar here. Single use but, a little effort and you can re-obtain them. Hopefully it's possible to re-obtain every TM, and without too much ridiculous effort.

I have to agree with others about Exp Share though. It would be so little effort to put a toggle in.

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Cali
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I can't say I'm suprised by any of this. It kind of annoys me that the exp share is stuck on indefinitely for the fact of, if I sit in a route and catch a bazillion Pokemon I might super level my party but, like in SWSH, I have the workaround of just loading out my party with mons I'm not using in my main team to evolve and fill out my dex. The single use TMs feels a bit weird to go back to but seeing as we can get more of the TMs it doesn't really bother me. Just hope we'll have a TM for Fly & Surf lol.

Years
  • not bothered by exp. share personally. i can see why it'd be annoying for some; i'm only really miffed by the fact that it'll mess up EVs most likely, so i really hope EV-reducing berries are plentiful and it's easy to grow them in this game.

as far as single-use TMs go... yeah that's a shame. :c really was hoping i wouldn't go back to the old days of having to decide who to teach earthquake to... but alas.

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2021
    I'm curious why they went back to single use tms however will that stop me from enjoying these remakes, not hardly at all.

Years
  • I still have mine pre-ordered digitally so will see for myself still. I am interested still and none of the previews so far have put me off. I love exp share, fight me.

Back