• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
What book* are you currently reading? How do you like it so far?
If you aren't currently reading a book, what are you waiting for?

*book, not manga or comic

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Mostly reading Holmes right now, has been pretty good thus far. On top of that I'm also progressing slowly with Black Beauty and the Darkly Dreaming Dexter series. Not enjoying those two as much but they are things I want to clear from my backlog.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'm rereading the Hunger Games trilogy and I'm just starting Mockingjay. I, personally, think it's a very well-written series but the ending bugs the living hell out of me because it's like one big elaborate lesson in futility.

Years
I'm rereading Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes. It's hardcore as always, as it should be. I only started though, just on the second chapter XD

Elixir.

Fly Away
Years
I'm currently reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It's pretty awesome so far. Dan Brown is an amazing author.

Savant

Natural Born Breeder
Years
I'm not reading anything lately. I bought a Kindle around a year ago but I just ended up using it for manga and to watch tv on the go.

I did read the first four books of the Percy Jackson series one after the other and then Divergent and its sequel Insurgent. O dear, I just remembered the third and final book of the series comes out October 22nd -w-

I do have the Hunger Games (the first book) on my kindle ready for when I feel like reading a novel. I haven't read it yet but I did see the movie.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Usually I just read compilations of short stories, don't really have the attention span to read novels anymore.

Years
I'm reading several things. One is a non-fiction book called The Science of Monsters, but it's not very good. It reads more like a drawn out magazine article than a properly researched book. I'm also reading a history book about the Byzantine Empire (which is what the Roman Empire became after it fell) and it's pretty interesting so far. I'm about halfway done with that. I'm also reading some short stories, currently one called Wild Girls by Ursula Le Guin which, while well written, isn't exactly happy or fun as far as its content is concerned so I'm only enjoying it so much.

Years
Ghost Wars, by Stephen Coll. It's basically about the last thirty or forty years of U.S. involvement in the Middle East, Afghanistan, etc, specifically the covert intelligence gathering and CIA involvement there. Very eye-opening and interesting.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I just finished reading A Tale for the Time Being a few days ago. Holy crap it is such a slow read. It's easy enough to burn through the first one hundred pages or so, but the next three hundred are torture. There's this shifting perspective going on between a young girl and a retired writer and the writer's POV is interesting at first, but it slowly forces you to drudge along into this story that becomes less interesting by the page. It's a contemporary book, so you either have to really love the style of writing or the situations the characters find themselves in and I lost interest pretty fast. It's one of those books that could have been half the length and gotten across its message in a much more succinct manner.

Now I've got a short list of books I'm going through that I want to read next. I'm probably going to dive into something that isn't contemporary, I need that escape right now. I might read The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack next since I've always been fascinated by Spring Heeled Jack stories but never actually sat down to read a novel about him.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
My answer seems very juvenile considering the other responses, but I grabbed Buried Onions by Gary Soto, among some other books such as The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, at the library the other day. It's about a nineteen year old boy in a family conflict over the murder of his cousin with an underlying etheral theme about onions or something, haha. I probably won't finish it, but.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
I just finished rereading The Tales of Beedle the Bard since I'm planning on making a Harry Potter fan fiction when I have the time. It's actually a good collection of stories, despite it being a children's book. Right now I'm planning on reading Listening for Crickets by David Gifaldi, since it's just lying around in our house just waiting to be read.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Haven't read anything in a while, last one I read would be Oblivion by Anthony Horowitz, the last of his "The Power of Five" series. I didn't initially like the post-apocalyptic setting, but the book picks up after the first section.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Homer's The Iliad. I can't say I enjoy it thus far, seeing as I don't like reading in general. Due to the meter (and margins of the pages I guess), it's a relatively quick read. I have to refer to the back often to remind myself who all the characters are, because there are a lot of them.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
I spent the last month reading the entire Animorphs series. Including the spinoff/companion books and everything. All of them. If there ever was a ****ed up children's series... but it's glorious. Kiddo's first proper sci-fi war series. Read them all once when I was like ten but wow I did not even realize the depth of them. I used to be more of a surface-reader, not good at putting myself in the characters' shoes, so the terror and trauma and insanity didn't really make much of a mark on me then but wow it did now. That series stands the test of time, man.

And moving on to the series I fall back into all the time- Discworld! Not sure which book in particular I'm going to jump in with this time; not Soul Music nor the first three Watch books because my friend's been begging me to let him borrow them. Perhaps the von Lipwig duo to prepare for Raising Steam (in November eeeeeee) but I mean I don't necessarily need to re-read them because I've read all of Discworld so many times I practically have them memorized? OH EXCEPT SCIENCE III! ok yes that's what I'll be reading then- The Science of Discworld III: Darwin's Watch.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Currently reading through The Lord of the Rings. I've been meaning to read it for a while but I haven't had the time. I'm about three quarters of the way through the Fellowship of the Ring and its pretty interesting so far. I enjoy the fantasy and magic in it although it can waffle on and on at some points. Overall quite a good book. :D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Currently reading Aunt's Aren't Gentlemen by P.G Wodehouse. I seem to have picked interest for re-publishings of his books. They are always entertaining.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I've been trying to read the Kingdom Keepers series. I'm on the fourth book right now, but I've been so busy with Saboten and stuff that I haven't had much time to read it... I should go do that lol. The series is actually really good though, especially if you're a huge Disney fan like I am! I know it's for younger kids, but I really enjoy reading them since I'm a Disney fanatic. ^_^

Back